OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RemingtonVSF - the final chapter!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RemingtonVSF - the final chapter!
    Posted: May/11/2009 at 05:24
Last year I recieved my much awaited Remington VSF in a left hand version. After much unsuccesful load developments the problem was finally diagnosed as a faulty barrel. Remington paid for a replacement barrel.
So, with much fanfare I now present to you the all new, much improved Rem VS no longer fluted 308Win.
The following modifications has been done:
Stock: Both palmswells removed. Piston type recoil suppressor in rear of stock. Action glass bedded. Camo painted in digital urban colours.
Trigger: Timney replacement trigger for right hand action. New left hand bolt stop ejector fitted due to right hand trigger.
Barrel: 1 in 10 twist Truvelo barrel, cut to 24 inches with target crown. Barrel 3/4inch at muzzle.
Scope: Leupold 8,5-25 x 50 AO with varmint reticule.

The 24 inch barrel and added weight in stock has vastly improved the balance of the rifle and makes offhand shooting a lot easier.

And how does it shoot??
This weekend I put the first 80 rounds through the new barrel. I first cleaned the barrel, then rand a patch of Butches Boreshine through it a couple of times to remove possible machine marks etc. (Only say about 20 strokes through the barrel). Then I shot three, cleaned, shot 3 cleaned. From there I put 20 rounds through and cleaned.
All goupings were 5 shots.
I am most impressed with the setup and feel that this rifle now has great potential. On reloading fireformed cases I am getting minimal runout.

One particular load at 44gr S335 and 70.2 mmOCL gave a 4 shot bughole, with one flyer, or hopefully a pulled shot. See bottom left 5 shot grouping!

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 05:31
The other modification was a new decent recoil pad. The scope bases have also been locked in place with blue locktite between the action and scope bases.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 06:43
  That bottom left 4 shot group is NICE shooting!  You calling #5 a flyer or just not sure? 
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 07:03

Wow-- you must a very patient fellow... But it now appears your efforts have been rewarded.. Very nice

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 07:15
300S&W, the one shot out was my last shot. I was staring at this ragged hole through my scope and "wishing" the 5th in there! So maybe a bit of nerves??? Cannot say for sure other then I had the trigger yips!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 07:28
   That'll do it!!  LOL
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 18:00
8, are you going to try the heavier bullets also, like 168s, 175s and 190s?  Yes, that group looks promising.  Did you Crono those groups? If so, what type of velocities were you seeing?    
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 18:29
And if you ever go hunting with a herd of zebra, your rifle will be almost invisible...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 18:30
Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 22:17
Nice 8's.   Glad to see that the time you had to sit idle has been rewarded.  That is a nice group.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 06:02
I have not yet chronographed the rounds as I am working on finding the best load first. Should be around 2650 ft per second, but will let you know. The chamber has been cut with a Palma Match reamer, so I am limited to the 155gr.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic