OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with sugestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with sugestions
    Posted: May/09/2009 at 21:52

First let me say that I am deployed and don't have any access to scopes to look through but will when I get back. 

I have a T/C Encore that will be getting a new barrel when I get back in either 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, or 338 Win mag (or maybe all of the barrels) for deer and elk hunting back in eastern Montana.  Longest shot I will make will most likely be 300 yards or less, heck I don't think I have made a hunting shot over 200. 

My question is will the HHR, BDC, what ever they are called for the following scopes work well with the different calibers that I am considering and the following scopes hold up to the recoil and hunting environment?  What would you recommend?

8435 Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos Riflescope                                                                                     Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Team Primos
SWFA: $219.95
More Info... Buy Now

5214609904 Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope                                                                                       Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
SWFA: $499.95
More Info... Buy Now

5214259920 Zeiss 2.5-8x32 Conquest Rifle Scope                                                                                     Zeiss 2.5-8x32 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
SWFA: $399.95
More Info... Buy Now

422104M Bushnell 2.5-10x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                               Bushnell 2.5-10x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 22:15
The Zeiss 2.5-8 would be my first choice of those you have listed.  It is good for much further than you are likely to shoot, based upon your comments, and, to my mind, best "bang for the buck" of those listed with the 4200 2.5-10 running a close second (make that very close...Rainguard may be important for you and if it is may be the "edge").  I've not used a Sightron, some like them some don't.  I really can't tell you if the Sightron would be a good deal or not.  Someone like Koshkin, who has spent some time with Sightron will chime in for you.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 09:49
No clunkers in the bunch ..For the dollar value--I'd probably go with the 4200 ( rainguard being the edge here). While I've never owned a Big Sky, I did have a SII 1.5-6 and found it diasapointing optically, with well below advertised eye relief . Nikon isn't exactly known for good CS, but I hear it may be getting better. A Zeiss is always nice, and have compared it directly to other scope models you're considering. It has a nice , bold reticle, but didn't really stand out as optically as better than the 4200.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 15:45
  What is it with Sightron and eye relief?  I've got an SI 3-9x40 whose e/r I FIND to be way below advertised specs.  Some guys have told me their exact same model SI's were fine.  Now martin3175 says he had an SII 1.5-6x42 whose e/r was "well below advertised eye relief".  But I've got one that is right on the specs and its e/r is better on 6x than my VXIII 1.75-6x32.  I've measured the e/r on both Sightron scopes. How can this be?
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 19:29
sightron is a awesome piece of glass and they have rain coating i believe!Big Smile
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 21:38
My 2 cents worth...
Also consider the Conquest 4x for 299.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 23:29
I would go with a regular multi x or duplex reticle. I think you would be happy without all the different bullistic or ranging type reticles reticles. Sight in at 200 yards and you should be good to go.....
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 00:04
TR22 Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                          Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Amber Triangle
  • 30mm
SWFA: $806.95
More Info... Buy Now
I really like this Trijicon 2.5-10.  I will admit the 56mm is a bit large but the 2.5 is much wider than the 3x on the 3-9.  Of the scopes you list above all are good some are better and the Zeiss is always a good choice.  One other scope that really should be considered is one of the Leupold VX3 with custom dial system  this is an example but there are other models :

LEU59265 New Leupold 3.5-10x50 VX-3L Riflescope                                                                                  New Leupold 3.5-10x50 VX-3L Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Custom Dial System
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $759.95
More Info...
With this you can dial in correction for trajectory at any power where a balistic reticle only works for hold over at the highest power.
I will say that you should consider ordering your Encore barrel from Bullberry.   http://www.bullberry.com/  Their barrels are accuracy guaranteed and you will not regret having selected one.  I have had TC barrels in  300WM  25-06 .375H&H & 30-06, 50 musket 12 slug, .308 pistol & 45-70 pistol.  Some TC barrels shoot reasonably well and some simply will not group well.  I never could make the 300WM or the 25-06 barrels shoot and the jury is still out on the 30-06 as sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. I have had several of their muskets and they shoot better when they get broken in and that may be the same with their other barrels but the .375 H&H barrel seems to be the most consistent of the ones I have had and it would work nicely for 300 yds and closer.  When they say bring enough gun .375 H&H is enough gun.   Thanks for your service.  My daughter is a medic in Balad.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/11/2009 at 00:06

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
midas38 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 01:58
Thanks for the responses.  While I think the Trijicon's are real slick and the Bindon Aiming Concept would be great for inclose "oh crap a deer moments", I don't think I would get enough use out of it while still in the Navy and the tritium would die out mostly unused. 

Does any one know how much brighter the Zeiss with the 40 Obj would be compared to the 32 Obj?  Granted I still need to look at them with my own eyes. 

Urimaginaryfrnd, thanks for the link for barrels, on your encores did you use regular encore barrels or pro hunter?  I have a co worker with a pro hunter in 7mm rem mag and he loves it to death and is accurate with it.

Jetwrnch, please tell me you have a bayonet and flashlight/laser for that supped up muzzle loader.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 02:34
I wouldn't worry about the tritium. 50% at 15 years is still twice what you need. The fiber optic is enough by it's self unless you're in a cave. Any more accessories and it's gonna' need wheels. Heavy sucker! I built it to be compact for strapping to a pack. Hence the backwards bi-pod. Now I need to cut down the barrel...Oh Yea Baby
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 02:36
Within BATF regulations of course Whistling
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic