OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Do I need the elevation in my mount?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BM454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do I need the elevation in my mount?
    Posted: May/09/2009 at 02:55
I know that the weak spot of any optics system is the mount and rings.
To avoid any feed back I can do without,yes,not meaning to sound a know it all(or I wouldn't be here),I know the shooter is the ultimate
weak spot.

My question is that I want to get the most out of my set up as I can.
I've been advised to change my rings(better) and base/mount to one thats elevated(for lack of a better term) for long distance .

I don't mind changing the mounts and rings to push her out as far as she'll go.

This is what I have.

Savage LE-FP10  .308

SS SWFA 10x42

Bell & Carson Tac/Varmint on the way

Mounts and rings,both leupold

Two piece mount leupold #55742
Rings                   leupold #49956

11mm level,not made for what I have

Mount,rings and level can go,no problem,I can trade them back for other things.

Any suggestions?
If it was your rifle,with what I have,what would you change about the mount and rings?
If,you wanted to push her with the optics I have as far as she'll go?

Thanks for any responses,and to those who helped me on my first thread
In science, there is only physics; All the rest is stamp collecting.A sovereign can bring misfortune upon his army by attempting to govern an army in the same way as he administers a kingdom-Sun Tzu
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 05:35

How far are you shooting, or wishing to shoot, friend? The Super Sniper has tons of "up" and should be enough for about anybody, especially shooting a .308. If I recall correctly, my SS has like 130 MOA of elevation.

The Loopie rings and bases you now have will serve you well...go out and start shooting. Sharp Shooter
Welcome to Optics Talk.
BM454 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BM454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 17:43
cheaptrick ,
A fellow Tarheel?Excellent
Thanks for your response and the welcome,a guy where I bought the rifle has the same one,he put a millet mount and warren rings on his,I believe he said in order to get out to 800 yrds I needed a "20 MOA" elevated mount,I know nothing about the quality of those companies,leupold,I feel good about.

130 MOA seems like it would get me to where I need to be.Yippee
I'm fairly new to long range shooting,years ago we had a few M-21s in our unit I got my hands on one at the range,500 meters was the longest shots I made with one of those,ideal conditions,I was happy then.That was over twenty years ago,I'm sure I can get out farther with what I've got now.
Range time,thank you the advice!
Esse Quam Videri Big Grin

In science, there is only physics; All the rest is stamp collecting.A sovereign can bring misfortune upon his army by attempting to govern an army in the same way as he administers a kingdom-Sun Tzu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 18:02
Originally posted by BM454 BM454 wrote:

cheaptrick ,
A fellow Tarheel?Excellent
Thanks for your response and the welcome,a guy where I bought the rifle has the same one,he put a millet mount and warren rings on his,I believe he said in order to get out to 800 yrds I needed a "20 MOA" elevated mount,  

Where did you buy...Hyatt's in Charlotte?  Wink

The SS will get you out there and beyond no worries, if installed correctly with the rings and mounts you mentioned, but having a 20 MOA rail attached to your rifle isn't a bad idea either, if you ever decide to change the SS out with another scope with less elevation and are still shooting those distances.
I have a Badger 20 MOA rail on mine, for that very reason.

Hope that helps.....Not sure what that other shooter had going on there, but something sounds weird to me.  

Edited by cheaptrick - May/09/2009 at 18:10
BM454 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BM454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 01:37
Sportsman's warehouse,Chattanooga TN,last June,never shot,safe queen up until now

"Not sure what that other shooter had going on there, but something sounds weird to me"

I'm just guessing,maybe because he's got a Millett Buck Gold Riflescope 4-16x56 Matte Finish.

Could it be he needs that 20 MOA because of his bell size?
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 07:11

Well a canted rail is higher in the rear, thus placing the objective bell closer to the rifle's barrel than a flat rail would.   
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 10:53
Originally posted by Voodoo6 Voodoo6 wrote:

Well a canted rail is higher in the rear, thus placing the objective bell closer to the rifle's barrel than a flat rail would.   
 Yes, it would LESSEN the amount of clearance at the objective end by a slight amount vs. a flat rail.
I think he needed it simply because the Millett didn't have enough elevation adjustment to get him out that far. I'm not sure what it's supposed to have for elevation minutes, but I'm sure it's not as much as your Super Sniper has.
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 00:40
Hello

The TRS has from top to bottom of adjustment apox 94moa.   that should get you out there and its more then the SS.   With a 100 yrd Zero the drop is about 230" with the 308 168 at 800 yrds.  Doing a little math here,  with 90" adj.  and let us say that the scope on your rifle  zeros at up 30" which is two turns up of the elv. knob at 100  so at 800 we have  about 60 " left of up X 8 = 480"   more then enough to click in at 800 yards. The 20 moa base gives you an added 21" of adjustment so your zero is at 10" giving you a total of 640"  of adjustment at 800.  way more than you shall ever need for any shootin out to beyond 1000.  Remember 1" adjustment on the scope at 100 is 10" at 1000

the target varmint Buck gold has about 64" at 100.   It is a little more limited in up adj.

The old saying DO THE MATH works.

The Millett LRS has 140" of adj for elevation! 

The SS is a good scope too but its limited to fixed and the TRS has many features and improvements.  

Good shooting. 

Steve

Millett Bushnell. 
Steve
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 11:14
Sleep
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 15:11
Steve, spare me the sales pitch.  Other than yours being a variable it's not even near the SS in ups or anything else.  First scope I bought was one of yours. It was also the last one I'll buy. Sorry yours was found lacking.  Buy the SS! 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 18:00
Hello

Steel;    glad you like your SS.  its a good scope but sorry to say the figures dont match TRS.  We give all the numbers at our web site, but it really doesnt matter, as what you shoot the best with is what you should use.

Good shooting. 

Steve

Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 18:33
What "numbers" are you referring to, Steve? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 19:16
What the heck is a Millet scope been around the shooting sports for 40 some odd years now and cant say I have ever seen one?????????? I know they make rings ...is this the same millet?

Edited by rifle looney - May/31/2009 at 19:16
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 19:32
hi

All the specs are on the web site, under Instruction section.  look up TRS

The TRS has over 94 " adjustments for elevation is one that seems to be important to some here. 

Good shooting

Steve
Steve
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 19:40
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

What the heck is a Millet scope been around the shooting sports for 40 some odd years now and cant say I have ever seen one?????????? I know they make rings ...is this the same millet?

OK I looked up the Millet scopes........ They look like the rings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic