OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best tactical scope.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmaster6731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best tactical scope.
    Posted: May/08/2009 at 11:39
Which scope is better?  IOR 9-36x56 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope, Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope, or Nightforce 8-32 x 56mm NXS.

I want to buy one of these scopes for DPMS 308 RIFLE.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 12:12
Do you really need that much magnification?

I shoot out to 600 yards regularly and out to 1,000 occasionally and prefer 15X or thereabout.

Of the 3 you listed, Nightforce is best (in my opinion.)  IOR has great glass but has problems with their quality from time to time (I don't buy any more so I don't know if this is a time of problems or not.)  IOR's issues seem to be be mostly with the 35mm tube tactical scopes.

I am not a Leupold fan so I almost never recommend Leupold; however, if you can get military or LE discount, it is an option.  It is not as good as the Nightforce mechanically and the glass is the worst of the 3.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - May/08/2009 at 12:13
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 19:50
I think that is more power than you really need. I like all three brands but I own the Leupold, but I would NOT buy another one in that power range I would buy the 6.5-20x50. I would consider an IOR but not in that power range I would buy the 3-18. I would consider a Nightforce but not in that power range I would buy the 5.5-22x56.  Why you might ask - because sooner or later you will want to use it in low light.  50mm divided by  8.5 gives you a 5.8 mm exit eye pupil.  The same 50mm divided by 6.5 gives you 7.6mm exit eye pupil. You can only use about 7 but 7mm will be brighter in low light than 5.8.
It is really hard to get a scope over about 6x pointed at a target under 100  yds quickly due to the narrow field of view.    How about one of these.
654305T Bushnell 4.5-30x50 Elite 6500 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                          Bushnell 4.5-30x50 Elite 6500 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Tactical Model
  • Rainguard
  • Free Sunshade
SWFA: $949.95
More Info... Buy Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/08/2009 at 20:58

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 21:09
I was where you are now this winter, asking these guys all kinds of questions. I was going to get one from SWFA, but ended up getting a leup mk4 6.5x20x50 from my dad for x-mas. I love the scope (+ it was free) but I rarely ever use the 20x setting, just to much. I shoot on my farm out to 1000 yds and almost always use the 12x. If my target is small I sometimes use 16x. 

When I started looking at scopes I wanted one that would see the moon, but these guys led me in the right direction. More isnt better unless your rifle is going to be held super steady by sand bags and devices that you would never take to the field. 20x is so damn hard to keep still even from a bipod, so if you go higher mag its going to get even worse.  And another thing about high magnifaction is the heat from your barrel and the ground, you see those nice pretty heat waves going across your field of view, and that can be a pain in ASS big time.

Listen and ask these guys questions before you decide on anything, they will help you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont ask me much I dont know jack yet, LOL.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 22:00
Are you saying that you have NEVER seen "24"??...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 22:57
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 23:06
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Are you saying that you have NEVER seen "24"??...
WWJBB

(What would Jack Bauer Buy?)Wink
5217559943 Zeiss 6-24x56 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                          Zeiss 6-24x56 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • LotuTec Protective Coating
  • 2nd IP
  • $100 Gift Certificate for NEXT Order (Will be shipped within 10 days of Purchase.)
SWFA: $2,399.95
More Info... Buy Now

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 23:17

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
flashpoint View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flashpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 03:12
Urimaginaryfrnd, you have recomended a bushnell 6500 tactical instead a Nighforce NXS, do you really thiink it has the same optics quality?
I have been asking for them in terms of quality and  I haven t clear the grade of Bushnell 6500. There exist another option strongly recomended:
Sightron SIII 8-32X 56, somebody explain that is so good as NXS, but I think best is Nightforce .
yeah
bassmaster6731 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmaster6731 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 05:00
Thanks for the info.
Here another question.
I currently have a Super Sniper 10x on the DPMS 308 should I even be thinking of changing to a variable powered scope.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 09:44
Originally posted by bassmaster6731 bassmaster6731 wrote:

Thanks for the info.
Here another question.
I currently have a Super Sniper 10x on the DPMS 308 should I even be thinking of changing to a variable powered scope.

What are you going to use this DPMS for and at what ranges? If strictly targets then I would probably stay with the SS you have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 12:04
Owning both NXS and Bushnell 4200 (6500 is same glass as 4200), I will say that I much prefer the NXS glass.  As has been and will be forevermore stated, glass preference is subjective.

The Bushnell costs less (considerably) and is a good scope, but is not the equal of Nightforce.

I haven't tried the S3 but am intrigued by the great press they get here - and from people who know good optics.

I might have to get one and run it next to a few other scopes for comparison.
outlook View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 14:39
Sounds like the OP has limited his choices a lot. If it's just paper & steel he is shooting the Super Sniper is all he needs. But we don't know that or the top end of the budget. The 6500 is certainly a more flexible and higher quality unit than the SS but it is a SFP scope so ranging is a pain. If it's properly tricked out, he has a $2000 rifle so why not add the BEST scope and be happy for many years?

Schmidt & Bender
3–12 x 50 PM II Military
The scope chosen by the United States Marine Corps as standard equipment Scout Sniper Day Scopes. It includes all the features of the 3–12 x 50 PM II LP, plus a sepcially designed "double-turn" counter-clockwise elevation knob with tactile clicks every 10cm or 1 Mil. In place of the color-coded window, it has a ring-style indicator which raises after the first full rotation of the knob. This can be both seen and felt by the operator, giving clear indication of which scale to read on the turret. There is a total of 220cm/22Mils/79.2" of elevation adjustment.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 15:01
Not everyone in the Marine Corps chose that scope and few operators were consulted.  Much of DoD procurement is based upon politics, not what is best.  Not putting down S&B, they make great optics... but so do others.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 17:24
Originally posted by flashpoint flashpoint wrote:

Urimaginaryfrnd, you have recomended a bushnell 6500 tactical instead a Nighforce NXS, do you really thiink it has the same optics quality?
I have been asking for them in terms of quality and  I haven t clear the grade of Bushnell 6500. There exist another option strongly recomended:
Sightron SIII 8-32X 56, somebody explain that is so good as NXS, but I think best is Nightforce .
OK Nightforce is a great scope - rather high priced but good quality highly reliable mechanically and  good glass.  That model is not what I would consider a good match for a .308 semi auto DPMS.

3.5-15  Thunbs Up       5.5-22 Thunbs Up

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/13/2009 at 23:27

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 17:32
A good friend just mounted a Trijicon 2.5-10 on an Armalite AR-10 and I gotta say, it is a nice setup.

I don't take any shots that require a 20X+ scope.

Also, I am no fan of reticle ranging, having done it professionally for a few years, I can say it is error-prone and is a very perishable skill.  If shooting tac matches that require it, go for it; however, get a good laser and take out the single largest source of error.

S&B makes good scope, it ain't bad.  My guess is that the Marine contract will go elsewhere over the next few years.  I think Premier is hoping the same thing.

I'm gonna try to get an S3 soon and run it side-by-side with some of the best, we'll see how it stacks up otpically (to my eyes, at least.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 17:35
And a quick note, having not handled the S3 yet, I cannot say, but:

The thread was "best tactical scope" and Sightron does not call these scopes "tactical."  The Bushnell 6500 "tactical" looks to be a hunting version with exposed target knobs - and not a true-blue tactical.

Are you looking for "tactical" or "tacticool"?   Many hunting scopes will do what you require.

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 17:47
Rancid what Nightforce would you put on a DPMS?  For me I think it would be the 3.5-15x50.  

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/13/2009 at 23:28

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 19:36
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Rancid what Nightforce would you put on a DPMS?  For me I think it would be the 3.5-15x50.  I have one of the 24 in DPMS  .308's and it wears a 10x Super Sniper and it is a heavy bulky beast to begin with I know I sure wouldnt want to add a 8-32x56 on top of what it already is. I just dont see a need for more than the 3.5-15x50 on that gun.

I completely agree, I'd go for a 3-15,50 - and, in truth, I did.

For most applications, a .308 is not a 1,000+ yard round, so magnification higher than 15X is kinda not necessary to me.  If you plan to shoot only from the bench, only supported positions, the 5.5-20 would be a good choice; however, 5.5 is a bit too much magnification on the low end for my liking.

For the world of paper-punching from a supported position, 5.5-20 would be fine; if it will ever see real-world use, I'd go for the 3-15.

Then again, I shoot in the 90+ degree Texas sun, and many times from unsupported positions.

Even with all that, I shoot regularly at 600 yards and have never considered myself limited by my 15X or 17X scopes, having posted more than a few 2-3" 5-shot groups at the 600-yard line.

If someone really wants a 30X scope, I say, "Go for it", but chances are it will seldom go above 18X or so unless conditions are absolutely ideal.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 09:23
Super Sniper is all anybody needs...ever.
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic