OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best binos for $200 to $300

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big Bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best binos for $200 to $300
    Posted: May/08/2009 at 11:02
Hi I am a new member but long time lurker.

I am in the market for a good set of binos. I do a lot of varmint hunting in California and some bigger game hunting when time allows.

I own a set of Nikon Action 8x40`s. I would like a better set of binos and am limited to spend $300 max. I want a 10x pair of glasses. Looked at the Nikon Monarchs, Legends, and Alpen??? but that was a few months back and the store has since closed. What in your opinion would my money buy on a good pair of binoculars? Roof or porro.

Very nice forum, and thanks for your answers. 
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 12:38
I'd check these out

I have the 8X42's and they are excellent, especially for the money.  You will get better value if you look at porros.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 14:40
I would check out Zen Ray.  I know the Summit HD can be had for under $200.  I have heard them compared to Vipers.  I haven't checked them out yet, but I have a pair of ZEN EDs that are a steal at under $400.  Good luck!Yippee
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 21:34
There are a bunch of good binoculars for under $300 these days. The Zen Rays are always worth checking out, but the porro-prism Leupold Cascades are a super deal. In general you will still get more sheer optical quality for your dollar with porros than roof prisms.
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 21:34
I am in a similar situation looking for new binos.  I could possibly go up to $400.  Would you guys make the same reccomendations or is there a better bang for the buck if I'd spend another $100?  I saw the minox bl10x42br on the samplelist for $300.  How does it compare to the best buys in the $200-$400 category?  I'm just looking for a set of binos to use around the house or in the truck.  Doesn't have to be super fancy, just good optics and solid construction.  What should I be looking into?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 11:03
The best binocular out there for a bit less than $400 has to be the ZEN ED.  Its image will speak for itself, and for that price, you will just about have to see it yourself before you will realize how good it is. 

The Zen Ray ZRS HD is a good glass for the $200 level as is the Vortex Diamondback.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 15:07
The leupold cascades and nikon monarchs listed above are both good optics for that price range. The Vortex diamondbacks should not be over looked, but I have never seen a pair on the Zen ray's so I cant comment there but they due get alot of prase these days for there price range.
Jasonn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 10:25
I am also looking in the sub $300 range and agree that the Leupold Wind River Cascades seem like the best deal.  I went down to Sportsmans Warehouse and tried out about 6 pair in my range and these came out on top.  I went down with the intention of getting the Nikon Monarchs, but changed my mind once I used both.  Especially with the amazing service reputation Leupold has to back up their products.

-Jason
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2009 at 21:56
I looked at the Cascades and Monarchs a while back and I liked the feel and weight of the Monarchs better but when it came to optics they were close but the Cascades were a bit sharper and focused better for my eyes. I tried several Nikons and they seem to go from pretty close to worse...not very consistent and as you said Leupold will take care of you. For a little more you can get the Leupold Olympics which I would think would be even better. Some have posted that their Olympics were better than their Pinnacles that cost much more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic