OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for AR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonstrosity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for AR
    Posted: May/07/2009 at 21:19
I recently got an AR 15 flat top m4 style and I have decided I want a scope. I was looking for recommendations. I decided I do not want a red dot or holographic sight. I would get more use out of a standard scope. I've been looking and have narrowed down to a buckmaster or primos 3x9x40 or maybe a bushnell elite 3200. I'm open to suggestions but would these be a decent scope for this gun, or what do you think about the sightrons? What about mounting it on the flat top, am I going to need one of the one piece sets of rings or could I just use regular ones. If you have any pictures that would be great, I'm really flexible and am just looking for something that will work out on this gun. Thanks in advance. 
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 21:50
I'm still waiting on two precision uppers but what I have waiting for them are a Burris Xtreme 1-4x24 for the 5.56, and a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4x24 for the 6.8 SPC. Both in LaRue quick release mounts. I'm thinking I want a second scope in a QR mount for one of them. My list of candidates is narrowed to a Team Primos, a Nikon Monarch 2-8x32, a Leupold Mark AR, or a Mueller Tac II. 

Burris 1-4x24 Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                      Burris 1-4x24 Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Ballistic 5.56
  • 30mm
SWFA: $659.95
Bushnell 1.25-4x24 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                               Bushnell 1.25-4x24 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rainguard
SWFA: $459.95

I have two of the Team Promos and one of the 2-8x32 Monarchs and they rock. The Mueller Tac II I only know by reputation, and the Leupold is supposed to be a tactical cousin of the VX-II. All should be pretty close in quality with maybe nod to the Nikons. 

Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos Riflescope                                                                                     Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
  • Team Primos
SWFA: $219.95
Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch Riflescope                                                                                         Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
SWFA: $289.95
Leupold 3-9x40 Mark AR Riflescope                                                                                       Leupold 3-9x40 Mark AR Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
SWFA: $349.95
Mueller 3-10x44 Tac II Riflescope                                                                                       Mueller 3-10x44 Tac II Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
SWFA: $269.95

Edited by sholling - May/07/2009 at 21:55
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 23:01
I'd go with either of the top two that sholling has recommended. Giving a slight nudge for the Burris.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 23:39
I'm more inclined to reccomend a Bushnell 4200 with rainguard finish. A lot of which scope is right for you depends on how you use the rifle.  I am particularlly fond of the 4-16x40 bushnell 4200 and I have one on an M4 style gun currently.  If you need something with illumination the low end of what would work would be a 1-4 Bushnell Trophy, the high end would be a Trijicon accupoint and I would prefer the trijicon accupoint to the scope I have on it now.  My thought on the  4-16 as opposed to the 3-9 you mention is that you only give up one power on the low end to gain 7 more on the high end and that is a scope that your can really enjoy at a firing range because you can see the holes in the target, and 4x is certainly low enough power to hunt coyotes where 16x is enough for prairie dogs and the knobs are finger adjustable so you can dial in correction.  I have one of the 1-4x Brushnell Trophy scopes on a ruger  and in that power range I'm not sure you are getting enough more scope to justify the cost difference of going to the top two on S's list. I can see the benefit of the Trijicon though because it is illuminated by both tritium and fiber optic and you dont have to turn it on or worry about batteries that die at the worst possible time.
424164SF Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $499.95
More Info... Buy Now
731424M Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $144.95
More Info... Buy Now
TR24 Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                             Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Amber Triangle
  • 30mm
SWFA: $764.95
More Info... Buy Now
TR20 Trijicon 3-9x40 Accu-Point Rifle Scope                                                                                  Trijicon 3-9x40 Accu-Point Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Amber Triangle BAC
  • 1"
SWFA: $678.95
More Info...

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jandswyo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jandswyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 09:51
Got a delivery today of my Vortex diamondback 1.75-5x, love it dead hold bdc and excellent glass, paid $170. small and relatively light as well.
Bonstrosity View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonstrosity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 15:41
Thanks for the replies, Are the BDC reticles pretty accurate? I'm looking to keep the price under 250 which is why I the nikons are looking so good right now b/c of the clarity you get for the price. Do I need a special type of rings or can I get the 2 rings and mount the scope. I've read some of the forums and they say to get the 1 piece set so it can be mounted forward enough for proper eye relief. 
fishin85ag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishin85ag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 15:56
I picked up my RRA Coyote last Friday.  I mounted the Primos using Warne AR15 Flat Top Aluminum Rings (A204LM) all from SWFA.  Scope is very clear and the mounts worked perfectly for me.  I did some shooting out to 100 yds, but have not determined the accuracy of the BDC reticles, yet.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 16:29
Originally posted by Bonstrosity Bonstrosity wrote:

Thanks for the replies, Are the BDC reticles pretty accurate? I'm looking to keep the price under 250 which is why I the nikons are looking so good right now b/c of the clarity you get for the price. Do I need a special type of rings or can I get the 2 rings and mount the scope. I've read some of the forums and they say to get the 1 piece set so it can be mounted forward enough for proper eye relief. 

A BDC reticle is a reference point only. It's intended to get you within the kill zone of a deer at varying distances and only at maximum magnification. They also require that you get to know how the points of impact of your chosen cartridge will relate to the markings. They are not intended for target work.

The only way around that is to have a custom elevation knob made that's calibrated for your cartridge. The only thing is that they cost $65-85 per cartridge, work with only the preselected cartridge, and are not available for every scope.

For a mount I'd get a 1 piece like the Burris. The only thing I don't like about them is that they do not have quick release lever. That's important to me, and why I favor LaRue mounts - they come off with the flick of a lever and return instantly to zero. But they cost almost as much as your scope budget. The beauty of a QR mount is that if you have scope problems in the middle of an "oh crap" situation you can get it out of the way of the iron sights without hunting for a wrench.

Edited by sholling - May/08/2009 at 16:32
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic