OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger MK77 Hawkeye

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger MK77 Hawkeye
    Posted: May/07/2009 at 12:38
I am looking at purchasing a new 308, and I found what I think is a decent deal ($500) for a Ruger MK77 Hawkeye, stainless with synthetic stock.  I know that there are several members here who own Ruger rifles and I was wondering would this be a good deer rifle for 100 to 300 yard shots.  It has the 22" barrel.  Also, should I replace the Ruger rings?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 12:47
Yes, it will make an excellent deer rifle.  No, you shouldn't have to replace the Ruger rings, unless you just want to have something different.  Deer rifles are intensely personal choices, so what one shooter loves another will hate, but most any decent quality rifle from a major brand in a suitable configuration and caliber for the quarry and style of hunting will get the job done for several lifetimes worth of use if you halfway take care of it.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 13:09
My father carried a Ruger M77 RSI in .308 Win in the woods for many years after deer, elk and black bear. It never let him down, and was as near a perfect gun for deer hunting as I've ever seen.

With a 22" barrel, it would have been even more perfect.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 14:34
CP, I don't have a Hawkeye, but I do have the M77 MKII stainless but laminated wood.  Main difference is the trigger.  As far as reliability goes, mine has been great.  My .270 will shoot a 1.5 to 2" group at 200yds with factory ammo so it is good enough for hitting a deers vitals.  Your rings should be just fine.  I had to sand mine a little on one of the edges but other than that, they have been just fine.  It isn't a benchrest gun by any means, but it works great for deer.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 14:51
Thanks for the info, I am now own a Ruger to go with my Savage and Remington.  Will post some info when I get it to the range, but don't hold your breath, got a new baby at home so getting to the range has been almost impossible.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 15:23
  HEY,that's what they make backpacks for!!Bucky
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 16:35

I personally think that the Ruger rings are one of the best fetures of their rifles.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 17:07
I have two Ruger rifles..........That rifle you`re considering, is an excellent choice for deer at those distances and even further if needed.

KEEP the Ruger ring set up.  For strength and durability, the Ruger rings along with the Ruger built-in integral scope mount design over the receiver, is perhaps the best, most durable and the strongest scope mount set up there is in the biz......Bombproof!!!

A large part of what makes the Ruger rifles appealing is, you don`t need to buy scope bases and the rings, which are already included and you get the best design for strength as well.

Go for it!Thunbs Up

PS.........If you don`t already have a scope for it, may I suggest the 2.5-8x36 Leupold VX3??............Perfect on that rifle with that cartridge!Wink Will look great too!Whistling

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 17:21
I've had the older M77 Mk II in 270 for 10 years now.  It's been used and loaned out for years and it's still as solid as new.  They're solid guns that will shoot with acceptable accuracy and be very reliable.  I always recommend lapping Ruger rings.  They are very strong but sometimes not machined all the way through and usually not as uniform as some others on the inside bore. 
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 07:20

Big Squeeze,

I have a Nikon Monarch 2-8x35 that I was thinking about putting on the rifle.  I have also looked at the VX3 and was thinking of ordering one from the custom shop in gun metal gray as that might match the rifle better, but not being able to see it first hand, I may just stick with the Nikon until I have the money to upgrade.  Thanks for the info.

Caleb
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 11:20
Originally posted by cpwomack cpwomack wrote:

Big Squeeze,

I have a Nikon Monarch 2-8x35 that I was thinking about putting on the rifle.  I have also looked at the VX3 and was thinking of ordering one from the custom shop in gun metal gray as that might match the rifle better, but not being able to see it first hand, I may just stick with the Nikon until I have the money to upgrade.  Thanks for the info.

Caleb
.................Be careful with a gun metal grey colored scope over a stainless barrel, as the color shades may clash rather than closely match.  

Your Nikon will work fine. A black matte scope WITH black rings would blend in nicely with the black synthetic stock and the stainless barrel.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 11:34
And who said men weren't fashion whores!.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 14:28
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I personally think that the Ruger rings are one of the best fetures of their rifles.

i agree 100%

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 15:01
You think Ruger would trade me black rings for the "stainless" colored rings that came with the rifle. 

I really like this rifle, it shoulders well, is well balanced and it fits me like a glove.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 15:09
Couldn't hurt to call and ask. They will likely charge shipping and handling though.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 15:10
i was just on their web page and they want $35 for each ring, not for a set. but i think they are worth it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 17:23
IMO the Burris rings for Rugers are better machined and designed.  Less money too.  They tighten from both sides so they are windage adjustable and the screw heads sit flush to the side of the ring so they look a lot cleaner too.  Excellent rings. 
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 17:38
Yes but don't fix what aint broke!  Wink
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 18:21
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Unfortunately mine were broke.  They were mishapen and dented my scope tube.  I lapped them and a chunk fell out (casting) on the ring cap where the cap is thin for the screw holes.   I called Ruger on it but unfortunately they don't recommend lapping their rings (even if they dent your scope) and offered no warranty help.  Instead of buying another set of factory rings for $70 I bought the Burris' which I think are better in every way.  Remember I did say "IMO".
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 18:25
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Unfortunately mine were broke.  They were mishapen and dented my scope tube.  I lapped them and a chunk fell out (casting) on the ring cap where the cap is thin for the screw holes.   I called Ruger on it but unfortunately they don't recommend lapping their rings (even if they dent your scope) and offered no warranty help.  Instead of buying another set of factory rings for $70 I bought the Burris' which I think are better in every way.  Remember I did say "IMO".

i too had to replace my ruger rings, and i too went with burris rings. they were certainly cheaper and they did do the job.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic