OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First Annual "Redneck Challenge" Race!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Annual "Redneck Challenge" Race!
    Posted: May/07/2009 at 10:40
Here in Texas, leasing is the predominant method hunters who don't own or have free access to good hunting land use for gaining access to the better deer, bird, feral hog, etc. hunting land.  Texas has less public hunting land compared to some other states and much of the public land that is available is lower quality than good private land.  The "deer lease" is therefore a tradition in Texas.  Usually, in addition to hunting, a deer lease gives the hunter year-round, exclusive use to the property for the members of the lease.  So, for many of us, the deer lease becomes more than just a place to hunt, but a very sacred private get-away place to shoot guns, fish, camp, and just relax, enjoying the outdoors.  It's a place to take the family for sitting around the campfire and cooking out.  A place to hang out with buddies, play pranks, and teach your kids valuable lessons about the natural world and life in general.  Some of my fondest memories and finest days occurred while I was at the deer lease. 

One of the other side benefits of the deer lease for me has been in honing the fine art of "redneck engineering," for lack of better terms.  Between building campsite amenities, general maintenance ("fixing stuff"), building blinds, prepping stand sites, planting food plots, clearing underbrush, etc., there's plenty of work that can be done literally year-round.  Much of this work entails being creative with what you have on-hand, which I like to call "redneck engineering."

Enter the ATV.  ATVs may be controversial on public lands, but on private land, it's an invaluable tool.  For us, the ATV is the workhorse of choice, because it's not only handy for retrieving and hauling game back to camp, but it's perfect for hauling tools, construction materials, and supplies around the lease for various projects because it can go places other vehicles simply cannot.  It enables you to carry tools and supplies through narrow trails and deep mud that would be impractical or even impossible to access with any other type of vehicle.  As a result, we've learned very creative ways to stack and strap incredible amounts of "stuff" onto a small ATV.  I wish I had photos of some of our more extreme gear hauling efforts, because trust me, they have been quite memorable!  The visual of some of these loads were "laugh out loud" hilarious!  I remember one occasion where we actually managed to stack about 1,500 lbs worth of "stuff" onto one single rider ATV!  The tires were literally rubbing the fenders while driving. 

Which brings me to the topic of this post.  One day, as my hunting buddies and I were stacking materials needed to repair a permanent blind located a couple miles away from camp, I came up with what I thought was a fun idea, which I dubbed "The Redneck Challenge Race."  I propose the rules of the Redneck Challenge shall be as follows:

*  Contestants are each provided with the same model of ATV and a large pile of assorted identical "stuff," (to keep everything equal) preferably of very odd, cumbersome sizes and shapes (i.e. step ladders, chain saws, PVC pipe...) including bungees, ratchet-straps, rope, duct tape, etc.  

*  A course is provided which must include random obstacles and rough spots like mud holes, large bumps, rocks, inclines, ravines, downed tree trunks, tight trails, winding paths, etc., at least a couple miles in length, with a start and finish line.

*  At the starting gunshot (which preferably kills a feral hawg, cuz in Texas, a hawg has got to die somewhere in the process!)  each contestant begins to load, strap, and hang all of his pile of stuff on his ATV.  There will be enough stuff provided so that it's nearly, but not quite impossible to carry all of it.  Given the time constraints, this will obviously require creativity and clever planning.

*  Once each contestant thinks his load is secure enough, they take off at breakneck speed along the designated course.  However, in this race, driving faster will often not be the best strategy for maintaining the load.

*  The winner is the one who crosses the finish line first with the most stuff still attached to their ATV.

*  Prizes are given to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers.

*  The race concludes with a barbeque, chili cookoff, or other culinary event involving lots of wild game meat and beer.

All of the above is paid for by entry fees and donations from sponsors/advertisers.

Obviously, all contestants must first sign a legal waiver exempting the event sponsor from any liability in the event of injury or outbreak of a fist fight.  However, anyone who is concerned about getting hurt or has "potential lawsuit" on their mind is a candyass worthy of an ass-whipping and is undeserving of the title "redneck" anyway.

Here is a recent pic of one of our gear hauling events.  It is nowhere near our most ambitious; it just happens to be one I have pics of...

Heck, maybe I could convince Chris to sponsor such an event. 
??????
On second thought, he's probably smart enough to avoid the potential liability, signed legal waivers or not.

Feel free to post pics of any of your "Redneck Challenge" examples.  Surely I'm not alone in this regard.

So, what do you think?  Got any ideas for making the Redneck Challenge more interesting?  Would any of you participate in such an event if given the opportunity?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 15:24
I love it! But unfortunatly I can't compete. I'm way over qualified. 20yrs construction, 11 yrs farming and 12 yrs in a under funded military has given me way to much experience. I would love to watch the younguns figure out diferent tactics. Great fun!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 15:28
  Sounds like GOOD family fun to me!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 15:30
Bucky
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 15:37
I'm not much on spectator sports, but I'd pay money to watch this.Excellent
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 19:51
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 20:28

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 00:29

Thunbs Up  I wish I were in the land of cotton.....

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 00:54
You guys should come to california and see how the people who come from south of the border pack their vehicles. They don't call it bean packing for nothing hahaha
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 07:30
INDIAN SCHOOL BUS:

God save the Empire!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 07:31
God save the Empire!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 08:57
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Thats it!!  I'll be driftin the Neuse by fall. No more county taxes, no more utilities, no more house payment. The freedom is staggerin! And any perch police comes around he better be pressed and proper. Thunbs Up
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 13:28
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Thats it!!  I'll be driftin the Neuse by fall. No more county taxes, no more utilities, no more house payment. The freedom is staggerin! And any perch police comes around he better be pressed and proper. Thunbs Up
Roll on Floor Laughing ...Im sure the new Govna' will find a way to tax ya, Sarge.  
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 13:30
Well hello stranger!

Where ya been hiding mark?
God save the Empire!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 13:35
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Roll on Floor Laughing ...Im sure the new Govna' will find a way to tax ya, Sarge.  
Super
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 06:23

Man I love it!   The only thing missing is an outhouse in tow behind. Excellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 06:27
The tax angle is a good Idea too!   Down in Baltimore's inner harbor marina, two lawyers have set-up office in a live on yacht.  They both work and live their so they don't have to pay MD state taxes.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic