OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Does this look right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does this look right?
    Posted: May/07/2009 at 08:16
Got a Nikon Primos to mount on my Marlin XS7 in .308. Decided to use the supplied bases, and had the local gunshop install. They recommended Weaver Grand Slam rings,
which I had heard were good, but they needed to reverse the front base.
I asked the clerk about it, and he said this is a common thing, but to me it doesn't look right.  Shouldn't they have picked another front base that doesn't overhang the ejection port? If the front base was smaller, the front ring would need to move forward, but should have plenty of room. What do you think?

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 08:39
It is a very common thing,  I personally don't care for the look as well, you could choose a different set-up and be more content however!   Big Smile
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 08:43
the front ring could go up a little but it is notthig that needs to be done. It looks good from what I can tell, but it all depends on how well your eye can focus thru the scope when you throw it up like you would with a fast shot.do you have to adjust your cheeck on the rifle to make it clear or is it esy to see thru. if it's not you might need to slide the scope up or back to make it easyer to focus when first mounting the rifle. so play with it and see how well it works with your eyes where the scope is sitting now. just find something @ 75 yards off throw up and see how fast you can see it in fine detail.

Hope that made some since.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - May/07/2009 at 08:43
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 08:49
  They could have left the base the way it was and used an extension front ring if one is available. Pic is dark but it looks like a dovetail ring set-up? What height rings?
filedog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 08:53
The scope is in a good position, no problems with eye relief.
Rings are med. height. My only issue is the way it looks Whacko
I'm just wondering if I should get a new (shorter) front base,
to make the setup look better. To me it just looks like the wrong part.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 08:55
If you turn the front base around do you still have the same problem? if not I would go with it like that.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 08:57
  You could reverse the front base and use these:

Also,you say the supplied bases were used.  According to Marlin's web,the XS7 is supplied with a 1 pc base.   

Edited by 300S&W - May/07/2009 at 09:45
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 12:19
NOPE!..........Change the front mount and get it to look like the rear mount 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 12:42
A classic case of your gunshop "recommending" what they had available on the shelf, whether it was the best solution or not.  Technically, there's nothing really wrong with the setup; it will work just fine.  But, I'm among those who are bugged by the base extending over the ejection port just from an aesthetic standpoint when it doesn't have to be if the right mount setup was selected.  In my opinion, there are so many different quality mounts available that there truly are few situations where having to accept an extension base (such as when using a really short scope tube) is the only solution.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 12:45
Yes it's correct, Leupold mounts (with reversible front base) do the same thing on m700 rifles. It's all about eye relief and what's comfortable for you. There are better base/rings solutions out there that will get you the look you want. If this were Talley bases I would say you currently have the "double extended" front base and getting the "extended" front base (or even "standard") would solve your delima.

Edited by mike650 - May/07/2009 at 21:11
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 12:52
I agree will work ok but sure looks like crap.  I suppose you could cut off the overhang yourself, file out the cut marks and move the ring forward.  Not sure of the best way to colour touch up the cut however.
God save the Empire!
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 13:47
Mine was done similiarly.   I don't know much about mounting a scope, but I was told it would work fine, just looks little funny.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 14:01
filedog's weaver style base should make it easy to clear the port and remove the overhang.
God save the Empire!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 17:05
One of these form vs function dilemas.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 17:42
You don't purchase beautiful rifles to have someone screw up the lines with a messy mounting hardware job (change a few words and that could be VERY risque)...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
filedog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 20:44
Thanks for the replies!
To those who asked, no, the front base will not work reversed.
(it would require the scope to be moved too far forward).
The XL/XS series come with EITHER one, or TWO piece bases.
The bases have a groove that only allows one position.
Apparently the 46m front base looks correct and fits,
and costs about $4!
I hate when I pay good money to an "expert"
who takes the easy way out!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 00:16
94X702 Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1 Scopemount                                                                               Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1" Scopemount
  • Marlin XL7
  • Montana 1999
  • Winchester 70 w/ .860 Rear Base
  • Matte
  • Medium
  • 1"
  • Extended
SWFA: $42.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 00:20
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

94X702 Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1 Scopemount                                                                               Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1" Scopemount
  • Marlin XL7
  • Montana 1999
  • Matte
  • Medium
  • 1"
  • Extended
SWFA: $42.95
More Info... Buy Now

Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 00:28
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

94X702 Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1 Scopemount Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1" Scopemount
  • Marlin XL7
  • Montana 1999
  • Matte
  • Medium
  • 1"
  • Extended
SWFA:$42.95
More Info... Buy Now
+1  change 'em out

Thunbs Up
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 10:08
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

I agree will work ok but sure looks like crap.  I suppose you could cut off the overhang yourself, file out the cut marks and move the ring forward.  Not sure of the best way to colour touch up the cut however.

There is a product aout called Aluminum Blue.  I think it is made by either B/C or Outers can't recall.  It works (if you follow the directions) makes aluminum look like blued steel.  There is also a product out called a Super Black Pen that is for touching up black aluminum.  Either of these should work if you decide to go that route.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic