OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColtRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper questions
    Posted: May/04/2009 at 19:04

I will introduce myself first. Current LEO for 11 years and 8 of them on SWAT entry team. Also prior US Army(infantry and armor). I used to hunt alot before I got married and the extent of my optics was exclusive to iron sights only. I have always been facinated by the Marksman in my current group and concidered trying for Marksman. I recently purchased a FN PBR .308. It came with a scope which I know very little about. The owner said it was a Super Sniper. I can't find it on the SWFA site. It is a variable power 3.5X10 by I think 42 or 40 and no other markings. My question is did SS make a variable power scope? BTW, I had to send it to Bushnell because it would not focus and the reticle stayed blurry. Hopefully they can repair it. I can't afford a new one, to many kids.

Also I did check the opticstalk.com for a question like this. Unable to locate. So sorry in advance if this is a duplicate.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 19:53
I don't think SS has a variable power out yet. But we are waiting on them Bucky

Welcome to the OT by the way!

Edited by Monster - May/04/2009 at 19:54
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
ColtRocker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColtRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 20:18
Thanks for the welcome. I hope to learn a little from here.

I saw they weren't selling variable power scopes at this time. I didn't know if they had in the past when they were being sold by Tasco. Do ya know when they are going to make them in variable power?
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 20:26
Unfortunately, no one has an answer for this we are all waiting impatiently! Wink  SORRY! 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 21:08
The genuine article does not exist except as a prototype. What you have is not the same thing.  The Super Sniper was originally made  by Tasco to Mil Specs and they worked so good that SWFA purchased the exclusive rights to have these scopes custom manufactured and they are for sale only through SWFA.  The chinese often copy other manufacturer's scopes and that may be what you have, or you may have a scope made by the same plant which makes the SS but is not the same thing eaven though knobs etc may appear similar.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 21:25
Christmas List

SS10x42m for m1a.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 21:33
Pictures?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColtRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 16:04

I sent it to Bushnell for repairs based on what the owner said to me about it being a SS. Sorry but I didn't take pictures, now I wish I would have. I guess they will let me know Thursday what it is. The weird thing is, it has no markings anywhere on it other than the 3.5X10.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColtRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 20:58

I finally got the scope back from Bushnell. It indeed was not a SS scope. Although after many hours of surfing the web for a scope  that looked like the one I had, it appeared it was a Vector. I took it back to the place where I purchased it, local gun/pawn shop. I was telling the owner what I had sent it to bushnell and asked if the person who sold it to him was a friend of his or if he remembered who it was. It just happened the original owner was standing next to him. He had a shocked look on his face and said he paid $200 after a law enforcement discount at a gun show. I quickly informed him it was junk and I had seen one on ebay for the buy now price of $75, which I have. The owner of the shop was nice enough to give me $200 back which made the price of the FN PBR an OK deal.

The bad side is I was saving all I could to by a nice Leupold scope, which is no longer an option because my transmittion went out on my truck. Anyone know of a decent tactical scope for under $200. The wife doesn't know about this money and I'm not telling.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 21:21
Your best options are top save up for awhile, or try to find a used scope.

That's a tough deal, sorry to hear.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 21:35
Man that sucks about your trans, and junk scope! The good news you are only about $ 120 from a real S.S. 10 x 42. Probably not what you wanted to hear but...

Edited by billyburl2 - June/22/2009 at 21:37
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColtRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2009 at 21:46

Rancid...I think thats what I will do so I do not rush out and buy another piece of $hit. I'd love to have one of the SS variable scopes. After reading miles of these threads it seems that the SS or Leupold is the way to go.

Billy...your right...that sucks!!! But you can bet I'm going out tomorrow with a mission of "random act of kindness" and try to get back on karma's good side.

And thanks for ya'lls advice.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 01:34
Waiting until you can get the right thing is the best plan. The Super Sniper variable is an excellent choice.  By the way SWFA does take things in trade and there is a trade in form on the Samplelist link.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Harmless View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 17:50
I am new to this forum - though a lurker using it to review scope purchases for several years at least.  I bought a Super Sniper 10 x 42 in Jan 2008, after reading many favorable reviews of the scope here.  Mounted it on a heavy barrel (Broughton) Rem 700 with some custom work on action, bolt, trigger, and bedded in a Bell and Carlson medalist varmint tactical scope.  Had great expectatioins!  Very hard to get any group, and zero changed - usually low and way right - with every new shooting session.  My smith ( same guy who built the gun)  says gun and mounts are fine.  Yesterday, my group was 13" right! at 100 yards after being good last fall - rig did nothing but sit in a cradle all winter and spring!  FED UP! I called SWFA and they referred me to Bushnell warranty service to evaluate the scope. 

Cost me $12 to mail it in, and $10 to cover return postage and about 100 rounds at over $2.00 each to get to where I am finally taking action - new gun, average shooter, I just kept trying...   We will see what the story is when I hear from them.  One thing that is now clear, Bushnell calls the Super Sniper a  TASCO scope - and they own TASCO, so they do the warranty work.   I know 100 % quality is not in the cards with mass-produced stuff, but when I buy, I do expect it to work as advertized.  Over 25 years, I have had only 2 of about 27 scopes fail and both were made by TASCO - if I knew the brand name was a cover, I would not have bought the scope, but I own it now.

So I am not a happy SS owner at this time.  Sorry to open up with rain on the parade, but I did want to share this experience.  I will add more when Bushnell gets back to me.
Thank you.

Harmless
Learning precedes performance
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 17:56
You have been lucky with scopes.  I have had at least 50% of the scope I have ever bought break on me.  I almost expect it at this point.  Sad, but for me it is the truth.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 18:11
reconcidered...................................
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 18:39
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

You have been lucky with scopes.  I have had at least 50% of the scope I have ever bought break on me.  I almost expect it at this point.  Sad, but for me it is the truth.  

SAY WHAT?
 Shocked

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 18:51
Originally posted by Harmless Harmless wrote:

I am new to this forum - though a lurker using it to review scope purchases for several years at least.  I bought a Super Sniper 10 x 42 in Jan 2008, after reading many favorable reviews of the scope here.  Mounted it on a heavy barrel (Broughton) Rem 700 with some custom work on action, bolt, trigger, and bedded in a Bell and Carlson medalist varmint tactical scope.  Had great expectatioins!  Very hard to get any group, and zero changed - usually low and way right - with every new shooting session.  My smith ( same guy who built the gun)  says gun and mounts are fine.  Yesterday, my group was 13" right! at 100 yards after being good last fall - rig did nothing but sit in a cradle all winter and spring!  FED UP! I called SWFA and they referred me to Bushnell warranty service to evaluate the scope. 

Cost me $12 to mail it in, and $10 to cover return postage and about 100 rounds at over $2.00 each to get to where I am finally taking action - new gun, average shooter, I just kept trying...   We will see what the story is when I hear from them.  One thing that is now clear, Bushnell calls the Super Sniper a  TASCO scope - and they own TASCO, so they do the warranty work.   I know 100 % quality is not in the cards with mass-produced stuff, but when I buy, I do expect it to work as advertized.  Over 25 years, I have had only 2 of about 27 scopes fail and both were made by TASCO - if I knew the brand name was a cover, I would not have bought the scope, but I own it now.

So I am not a happy SS owner at this time.  Sorry to open up with rain on the parade, but I did want to share this experience.  I will add more when Bushnell gets back to me.
Thank you.

Harmless
 Your experience is so thoroughly at odds with the vast majority of Super Sniper owners, that I must consider it a wierd fluke. You got a VERY rare lemon, and hopefully Bushnell takes care of you and corrects it. Sorry about your luck, but to be a bit blunt, it really shouldn't have taken you anywhere near 100 rounds of ammo to figure out that there was something seriously out of whack here.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 19:33
My personal expierence is just the opposite! My S.S. 10x42 is mounted on 7 pound rifle chambered in 300 wsm running pretty hot hand loads and it holds zero and dials in elevation and windage corrections as well as my ability allows. While I have only had it since March, I have yet to have it not perform to my expectations. What kind of rings and base was your scope mounted in?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 19:57
Originally posted by Harmless Harmless wrote:

I am new to this forum      You do seem to be starting off on the wrong foot ...

So I am not a happy SS owner at this time.   ..... I will add more when Bushnell gets back to me.
Thank you.

Harmless
You have several options start by being realistic enough to evaluate them.
 1.  Call the SWFS Customer Service Professionals at 972-617-7056 from 8 a.m -5 p.m CDT or via e-mail at swfa@swfa.com.  
 2. Allow them to repair or replace the defective item and evaluate the success or failure of that customer service.
 3. Call SWFA and either exchange or trade in the scope you do not like for one that you do like.  Just like cars there is more than one make out there and not everyone likes the same thing.
 4. You can check to see if possibly it might be the rings or base or the rifle by using a different scope to see if it does the same thing. 

Not every gunsmith has their act together but they will all tell you they are the best in the world.  The first thing I would suspect is the mounting system, the next thing I would suspect is your level of ability so you might have someone who is a consistently accurate shooter help you out. Step by step eliminate each of the different variables. Better sand bags or a bipod may be helpful.  I have owned 4 Super Snipers and they have all been quite reliable so I tend to think it is not the fault of the scope but see what Bushnell says I do think it only fair to allow them to fix it before slamming them. 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic