OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 21:23
Urimaginaryfrnd
Thanks...................I really wanted to say that.
Harmless View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 21:26
Thank you folks for quick replies and suggestions -  I will respond to initial comments and then wait till I have some facts from Bushnell.
I am kicking myself about waiting till 100 rounds are down the tube.  But I could adjust  scope into a good group by the end of each session - 10 -15 rounds or so (1/2" - 3/4" at 100).  The gun has a muzzle break and is the loudest thing I have ever shot, and I kept thinking I will get onto this thing.  Then, it was back to square 1, the next time - using the same rest that lets me get good groups from my other center fires.  I finally said to myself - "I can get to good groups, it is not the just the gun or me."   

The base is a leatherwood picatinney rail, with 4 screws, increased to larger diameter for recoil. The rings are millet tactical six screw - all loctited in and all rigid as far as I can tell and the gunsmith's evaluation.

I did take it to my gunsmith for evaluaiton. Then, I did call SWFA and discuss it - I did call Bushnell and discuss it, and I have sent it in for repair as they suggested.  As a consumer is supposed to do, I also shared in this forum that my experience with a Super Sniper has not been positive. I own what staff from both places think is a bad scope.  I will compliment them in this forum if they fix it - but that is not the same thing as getting a good, working scope at the start.  I was also candid about the scope being made by TASCO, and that my products by that maker - only two, but two of two, have failed.  I have seen many, many posts in this where writers deride and devalue certain low-end scope makers. I do the same, based on my experience.  

Whether I am "starting off on a wrong foot" is irrelevant to me - I wanted to add some balance to the chorus of "hooray super sniper."  I know many writers like it - in fact, that is why I bought it and why my expectations were that it would work. 

It is premature to talk of trade until I know what I have.  I will return when I have news.
Thanks again for the comments and for a chance to ventilate where it might help some other consumer in the future.

Harmless 
Learning precedes performance
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 21:49
Mister "Harmless,"

From time to time we have the odd (Let me Stress ODD) troll.  Some people have some real problems and some just want to make trouble. We get both.  Did you get the scope new directly from SWFA because THAT you did not say?

Questions that you should ask are were your rings really round? Were they sized correctly?  Were they screwed down properly? Were they lined up?  How do you know? Lots of worn tooling and stuff getting tossed back to make quota.  Those issues are major causes for every scope maker getting items returned.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 22:08
Tagged for interest.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 22:10
The scope is not made by tasco any more.  They were I think the second owners of the design of the SS.  The thing you got to understand is a lot of scope could be made in the same factory by the same people.  Tasco, Bushnell, Nikon, etc is just a name of the company, most of the scopes are made in factories all over the world based on the specs that the brand name requests.   Some can be great scopes some can be cheap POS scopes it all depends on how good the brand wants to make them.  A lot of it depends upon the specifications for quality of that particular scope.  The level of quality of the materials it is made out of.  The original tasco models were very good, then if my info is correct they started to cut corners on them and they went down hill.  Then SWFA bought the rights and uped the anty if you will so they were once again a quality scope built to a specific standard.  It sounds like to me you probably got a lemon, I feel for you as I have had a lot of those and it is frustrating as hell.  But what can a person do other than send it back.

The reason they still have a Tasco warrenty card is because if SWFA had to have all new booklets made they would have to raise the price a little.  They had a bunch of them when they bought the rights so they just kept sending the ones that were already made. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 22:33
Supertool73,

Wasn't there a contract with the Navy or at least an evaluation for use by the Navy for the SS?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2009 at 22:35
I'm not sure.  The info I am trying to paraphrase I got from an article that I read a while back that Chris wrote about it.  I cannot find it or I would have just posted it.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

ColtRocker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColtRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 21:19
Ok, I'm back with good news. The old Truck held out until I could trade it in. Yea, I took a beating on that too but it had to go. Finally, I saved a little here and there and about 20 grass mowings later I saved enough and got a Burris XTR 3-12. I got a great deal on it directly from Burris. I got it about 3 days ago and wouldn't ya know it, karma kicked me in the a$$ again. The day it arrived I tore a calf muscle(long story) so I can't get out to the range. Guess thats what I get for getting a good deal.
Anyway, I haven't seen many reviews on that scope and would appreciate any links or info on it. Also if I can muster up the walking distance I'll put it all together and post a picture.
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2009 at 20:37
What ever happened to the old SS? Or did I just miss that in the thread?

And for the record I can sympathize this buying something from one place and being told to send it somewhere else for repair. It always seems when you to the the 'somewhere' else is slow to respond.
ColtRocker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColtRocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 14:55
Originally posted by Graysteel Graysteel wrote:

What ever happened to the old SS? Or did I just miss that in the thread?

And for the record I can sympathize this buying something from one place and being told to send it somewhere else for repair. It always seems when you to the the 'somewhere' else is slow to respond.
I think, by reading these threads and please correct me if I'm wrong anyone, the old SS were made by Tasco. The rights were sold to SWFA and its confidential who is actually making them now.

And yes, Bushnell took their time letting me know what I had wasn't a SS. But its my fault. I should have taken it to someone who knew what they were talking about instead of listening to an uninformed individual.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2009 at 15:09
I don't think Tasco made anything.  I think they are just a name and they pay some foreign optics company to make the scopes for them to certain specs as many scope names do.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic