OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Difference between all the new Leupolds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between all the new Leupolds
    Posted: February/12/2004 at 11:59
LPS VX-III VX-II VX-I Rifleman
  Leupold Premier Scopes were created with the highest standards in mind, and thanks to the work of our optical and design engineers, they outperform anything in their class. Now, hunters across the globe are enjoying the results of our efforts. New! The all-new VX-III doesn’t simply replace the Vari-X® III...it totally eclipses it. With exclusive features such as the Index Matched Lens System for brightness that can’t be beat in low light, and our new Ballistic Aiming System™, it will be one of the most powerful, versatile Leupolds ever made. New! The VX-II is one of the most popular lines of riflescopes in the world, but we couldn’t leave it at that. New features that hunters and shooters will enjoy include Multicoat 4 lens coatings for increased brightness, clarity and contrast in low light, a lockable, fast-focus eyepiece, and a tactile magnification indicator. With the newly updated VX-I, hunters can expect a standard multicoat lens system for enhanced clarity and brightness, Micro-friction windage and elevation adjustments for extreme precision, and finally, in addition to the gloss finish, new matte finish models. New! The new Leupold Rifleman riflescope is everything you expect from a Leupold Golden Ring® scope, at a price that’s startlingly affordable. There are three popular magnification level models to choose from, all available with the new Wide Duplex reticle and a durable, attractive matte black finish.

Models:

• 2.5-10x45mm
• 3.5-14x50mm Side Focus
• 1.5-5x20mm
• 1.5-5x20mm Illum. Reticle
• 1.75-6x32mm
• 2.5-8x36mm
• 3.5-10x40mm
• 3.5-10x50mm
• 3.5-10x50mm Illum. Reticle
• 4.5-14x40mm
• 4.5-14x40mm Long Range
• 4.5-14x50mm
• 4.5-14x50mm Long Range
• 4.5-14x50mm Long Range Illum. Reticle
• 6.5-20x40mm EFR Target
• 6.5-20x40mm Long Range
• 6.5-20x50mm Long Range Target
• 8.5-25x50mm Long Range Target
• 1-4x20mm
• 1-4x20mm Shotgun
• 2-7x33mm
• 2-7x33mm Shotgun
• 3-9x40mm
• 3-9x50mm
• 4-12x40mm Adj. Objective
• 6-18x40mm Adj. Objective
• 6-18x40mm Adj. Objective Target
• 2-7x33mm
• 3-9x40mm
• 4-12x40mm
• 2-7x33mm
• 3-9x40mm
• 4-12x40mm

Lens Coatings:

DiamondCoat™ lens system optimizes brightness and clarity, and gives you Leupold’s highest level of scratch-resistant protection New! Index Matched Lens System (up to 98% light ransmision) New! Multicoat 4® lens system Standard multicoat lens system Fully coated lens system
Windage & Elevation Adjustments: 1/4-MOA finger click pop-up resettable dial. Once sighted in, pull-up/push-down adjustment dials can be reset to zero. New! Finger adjustable 1/4-MOA clicks with resettable pointer dials 1/4-MOA click adjustments New! Micro-friction dials marked in 1/4-MOA increments Friction dials marked in 1/2-MOA increments

Reticles:

Five styles available on selected models including:
• Duplex®
• Target Dot
• German #1
• Mil Dot
• German #4

Twelve styles available on selected models including:
• Illum. Duplex
• Fine Duplex
New! Wide Duplex
• Illum. Fine Duplex
• Heavy Duplex
New! Varmint Hunter’s
• Illum. Circle Dot
• Target Dot
New! Boone and Crockett™ Big Game
Ten styles available on selected models including:
• Duplex
• Fine Duplex
• Heavy Duplex
New! Wide Duplex
• Post and Duplex
• CPC
• Leupold Dot
• Target Dot
• German #1
• German #4
Two styles available on selected models including:
• Standard Duplex
New! Wide Duplex
New! Wide Duplex

Finishes:

Satin on all models Matte black, gloss black, and silver available on selected models Matte black, gloss black, and silver available on selected models Gloss black and new matte black Matte black
Eyepiece Focus: Armored fast-focus with soft rubber eyeguard New! Lockable, fast-focus on all non-illuminated reticle models, special illuminated reticle fast-focus on all illuminated reticle models New! Lockable, fast-focus Classic lockable eyepiece Standard eyepiece design
Parallax Adjustment: Side focus parallax adjustment on 3.5-14x50mm model Side focus parallax adjustment on selected models Adjustable Objective on selected models Factory set – preset to 150 yards to minimize parallax throughout typical hunting ranges. Factory set – preset to 150 yards to minimize parallax throughout typical hunting ranges.
Magnification System: 4x Erector 3x Erector 3x Erector 3x Erector 3x Erector
Maintube Diameter:
Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2004 at 01:19
So all the VII scopes at the Swfa web site are the new type with clicks on the  adjustments?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2004 at 07:35

Clark wrote:

So all the VII scopes at the Swfa web site are the new type with clicks on the  adjustments?

That is correct.

gremlin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2004 at 15:24

Chris--

That's a fabulous rundown on the Leupolds.  I happened to notice a press release on the Leupold website that appears to beg clarification.

The press release dated June 2, 2003 "New Features Enhance Leupold's VX-I Riflescope Line" says in paragraph four, "New VX-1 features for 2003 include:...a Multicoat 4 enhanced lens system for crisp, edge-to-edge sharpness across the visual field."

Your post didn't mention Multicoat 4 and the VX-1.  Have you found through experience that the Multicoat 4 is not part of the VX-1 line even though their own press release specifically mentions it?  I've got an old 'shooter' that I'd like to upgrade the 'eyes' on, and if the VX-1 has Multicoat 4, it sure looks like an upgrade from the Bushnell Trophy 3x9 I've got on there now.

Thanks!

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2004 at 15:51

According to Leupold the VX-I does not have Multicoat 4 coatings.  I can't speak on their behalf as to why they contradict them selves, I can only assume that who ever wrote the release last year must have been just as confused as we have been as to what Leupold has what.  When the VX-I first came out they were Fully coated (same coating as old Vari X-II) the new 2004 VX-I has Standard Multicoat Lens System (SMLS).

Edited by Chris
meat head View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meat head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2008 at 08:48
hi mr ferrisHowdyare the new leapolds beter than the varix2 3x9 scope i got thanks
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2008 at 09:33
Originally posted by meat head meat head wrote:

hi mr ferrisHowdyare the new leapolds beter than the varix2 3x9 scope i got thanks

I would say yes.

I'm pretty sure if you had the newer vx-II (upgraded varix-II) it would have the same glass, Multicoat-4, as the old varix-III line. The varix-III line is now called vx-III and comes with Index Matched Lens System.

Man, Meat Head, how'd you find this thread, it's very old!! Big%20Smile

Edited by mike650 - June/14/2008 at 09:36
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2008 at 09:38
You're right there, Mike. The dead have been coming back to life a lot lately.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2008 at 11:33
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

You're right there, Mike. The dead have been coming back to life a lot lately.

Shocked  Was that ELVIS ?????   Nawwww  ... I just walked past that full length mirror again !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic