OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best scope for low light without going NV?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best scope for low light without going NV?
    Posted: May/04/2009 at 16:40

I recently got a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 MC with 30mm tube and #8 reticle, with First Focal Plane.  Hasn't arrived just yet.

Granted, it is a bit . . . large and heavy . . . but I'm wondering given the specs and it being a Zeiss, plus the FFP, if there really is much else out there that is as good or better in low light conditions?

Anyone have any experiences with this scope as well?

Edited by greywolf - May/04/2009 at 16:40
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 18:26
This is a mixed bag  here because targeting something in low light conditions is not merely a situation of best quality glass wins.  The amount of light transmitted through a scope depends on the size of the front objective lens divided by the magnification power the scope is set at.  Most people do not like a 56mm objective because it can cause problems getting a good cheek weld for consistent accuracy at long range.   Just so you have a point of refrence: bright scopes would be  6x42  7x50  8x56 all you gain for each increase in size of the objective is a scope that is brighter at one power higher.  As far as targeting the type of objective can be very important and some objectives are easier to see in low light than others.  An illuminated objective can be quite helpful in many low light situations.
Knowing what style of hunting you do the caliber of the rifle  and other info can result in a better recomendation.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 18:56
It also depends on something that changes with every person... EYES.  No two sets of eyes see exactly the same through the same optic and therein lies much of the difficulty in qualifying "the best" for any purpose.  The best optical machines in the world cannot determine how one person's eyes will "see" through an optical device.

However, I have a Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42 and it is better in all categories than the Conquest... to my eyes.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 20:25
Thanks.

I may end up selling the Zeiss, then, if it doesn't work for my needs.  Thought about the Kahles but am worried about warranty and service - does anyone know if I get one from SWFA Sample List does it have any type of warranty?  Kahles apparently only extends the warranty to the original purchaser of the brand new Kahles scope.

Edited by greywolf - May/04/2009 at 20:27
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 20:40

Well if it hasnt arrived yet dont mount it and send it back insured if you examine it and find it is not what you want.  It may cost you a re stocking fee but that is less than you will loose selling it later on. Kahles warranty service is probably the only thing that would make me hesitant. If I was in the market for a  hunting scope I would call SWFA and ask them if they were going to be photographing one of the new VX3 with the custom dial system and placing it on samplelist at a discounted price and if so I would offer to buy one of those.

LEU59265 New Leupold 3.5-10x50 VX-3L Riflescope                                                                                  New Leupold 3.5-10x50 VX-3L Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Custom Dial System
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $759.95
More Info...

LEU59270 New Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope                                                                                   New Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Custom Dial System
SWFA: $639.95
More Info...
LEU59260 New Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-3 Riflescope                                                                                   New Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-3 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Custom Dial System
SWFA: $559.95
More Info...
http://www2.leupold.com/resources/downloads/2009_Optics_Catalog.pdf

I think it's on page 19 of the new 09 catelogue. You can dial in correction with BDC knobs marked for your rifle cartridge.  Get these scopes down around 6x or lower and they are plenty bright.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/04/2009 at 20:44

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 20:44
Bought the Zeiss from an individual :(

But, I really do like the idea of a multi-zero system.  I'll be using this on an AR-15 in .300-221, both supersonic and subsonic, at various ranges.  I would think that the multi-zero would be a great thing to have for the various bullet/sonic combinations I would be using.

Any other scopes out there that might work well for this application?
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 01:31
The best low light scope is highly dependent on what ranges you wanna shoot at.
If you hunt a very short range, like people here hunt wild boar at 30-60 yards I would say that a best quality 3-12x56 is the choise.
Conquest is not best quality but it's at least far better than Leupold for this purpose. Leupolds are not in the game of low light scopes, they are probably only in the list of scopes when you look at it from the bottom.
If you hunt/shoot at longer ranges there is NOTHING that beats the 6-24x72 Zeiss.
When I compared them a September evening on a stuffed Hare at 160 yards and a stuffed fox at 320 yards the 72mm lens lengthed the time by 15-30 minutes when compared to Zeiss 3-12x56 and 6-24x56.
Now is the 72mm very interesting for an AR, but the initial quesiton was what is best for low ligth....

Technika
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 09:12
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

It also depends on something that changes with every person... EYES.  No two sets of eyes see exactly the same through the same optic and therein lies much of the difficulty in qualifying "the best" for any purpose.  The best optical machines in the world cannot determine how one person's eyes will "see" through an optical device.

However, I have a Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42 and it is better in all categories than the Conquest... to my eyes.  

I'll have to second this opinion.  IMO this particular Ziess Victory is the best all around big game hunting glass in the world, bar none. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 12:00
Also, what is your budget?

A Premier would be perfect for what you need (rapid capacity to change zero) as it has a rapid reset turret.  The glass is great, it has an illuminated reticle, and it is not inexpensive or small (or light weight.)

For a 16" AR, the Premier would be a mistake, or so it seems to me.

If you need brightness over magnification, there are other scopes that will do quite nicely for you.

What are you hunting?

It sounds like a damn fine hog gun setup to me.  Add a thermal scope (about $12,000) and you are good to go!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 15:01
LOL - hogs are definitely on the list.  But can't afford the thermal, damnit.  Maybe some day some Gen 3 NV, and then I'll slap an Aimpoint Micro T1 on it.

But until then . . . . . . maybe that Kahles multi-zero may be the trick.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 18:31
It is one of very few that will allow you to mark the zero of your rifle with and without can and not require you remember the correction.

Your setup is perfect for the multizero.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic