OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what are your opinions on...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 21:53
 I'm sure you're right, Ted.  I've never seen a watch battery leak, now that you mention it.
 Still just a little uneasy about the whole thing. 

(If it ever happened, it would happen to ME... and probably twice....)   Say What
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 21:59
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I'm sure you're right, Ted.  I've never seen a watch battery leak, now that you mention it.
 Still just a little uneasy about the whole thing. 

(If it ever happened, it would happen to ME... and probably twice....)   Say What

Me too!! Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 13:59
Given certain situations, the illuminated reticles are indispensible. I thoroughly like having the option available to me should the situation warrant the use of it. The Nikon Monarch X has a very good illuminated system should anyone wonder about that.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 19:56
I'm a firm believer in the KISS method.  Keep it simple stupid.  I've never needed an illuminated reticle and will probably never own one.  I see the need in some applications and not in others.  I'm still trying to figure out why Nightforce benchrest scopes are only available with IR's. 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 20:43
I think they would be fun if they didn't weigh ten pounds.  Just another gadget.  Probably have some use in dark situations.  Something to fool with.  Enjoy.   Big Grin
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 21:24
I have two types....2 Trijicon's LOVE THEM   a Bushnell 3200 3x9x50 firefly that you charge with a light its ok as long as you remember to charge it....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 23:54
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

They are nice for hunting varmints (not allow to hunt with them for Big game in Montana) at low light and at night.
[emphasis mine]

I'm going to disagree with that statement because this is what the regulations state (2009 Deer, Elk & Antelope Montana Hunting Regulations, pg. 21):

Night Vision Equipment: It is illegal to use night vision equipment
or electronically enhanced light gathering optics for locating or
hunting game.

Technically, a normal rifle scope, even one with an illuminated reticle, does not gather light. It only transmits light and loses some of the it as the transmission occurs. The point could (and should) be made that illuminating the reticle does not allow one to see better in the dark. Given that, they should also have to disallow Firefly reticles or any other type of sight that glows. That, BTW, is the case for bowhunters. But nothing is said in the regulations or the Montana Code Annotated about not using tritium, etc. on a rifle or handgun.

Now, I'm not willing to bet my future hunting privileges on this interpretation until I talk to MT FWP but I will contact them tomorrow and post what I find out here. For what it's worth, I can't imagine wanting to take a shot in dim light but I also wouldn't want to be found out in the field with an illegal device. I can argue all I want that I had no intention of using it, but if you're carrying a fishing rod, they assume your fishing. If I'm told that illuminated reticles do fall under the regulation I'll ask about leaving the battery out.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 00:00
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 09:57
I came across this posting on another site, where someone else had dealt with the same issue: http://longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/illuminated-reticle-good-bad-13981/ They found that illuminated reticles are legal in Montana but not in Idaho. (Hmm, I wonder if that regulation is enforced much around Orofino?)...

I called the MT FWP Enforcement Division and was told specifically that "as long as only the reticle is lit up" then it is legal in Montana.
oldelkhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldelkhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 11:33
 Has anyone used the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 Illuminated #4 reticle ? I have spoken to a number of people that say it is a great lowlight scope.  Any info would be appreciated
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 11:46
  Let's see.  Great lenses/coatings,great power range plus 50mm obj.,30mm tube for extra w/e adjustments if needed,great low light reticle and illuminated to boot?  Seems it's got it all!

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 12:15
Thunbs Up
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 22:51
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I came across this posting on another site, where someone else had dealt with the same issue: http://longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/illuminated-reticle-good-bad-13981/ They found that illuminated reticles are legal in Montana but not in Idaho. (Hmm, I wonder if that regulation is enforced much around Orofino?)...

I called the MT FWP Enforcement Division and was told specifically that "as long as only the reticle is lit up" then it is legal in Montana.

I would get that in writing if you are going to use one.  I had game wardens (dealt with them guiding) go both ways on it, and overall recommended not having one on a rifle just to be safe.  If it is legal, great.  I will say that with the legal shooting light laws here, it makes no difference.  I can see my reticle (unlit) fine till shooting light is over.  The only one I have (the xtr) is on a varmint rig.  No laws there.  All is fair (NV, spotlights).
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 23:22
I agree, it really makes no difference to have one here. I could see a whitetail doe just fine against a dark hillside, made darker by the contrast with the sun setting behind it. And that was with a scope that has lesser glass. I just couldn't get the scope I wanted without that feature. It would probably be a good idea to get it in writing, although an email reply would also do since all State emails are archived. My guess is most wardens are probably far more worried about two-way radio abuse than inspecting scopes.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 12:29
Alright, now to beat this topic to death...Here Ye Here Ye

This morning I ran into a friend of mine who's a game warden and asked him to confirm what I'd already been told. He said that red-dot and illuminated reticles are legal in MT, as long as the technology does not enhance light transmission or project light, for example as with a spot light.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic