OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Inspired by the GroundHog thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 07:38
I had a Hoyt Magnatec, with a poured/cast magnesium riser...it was the best shooting,  most quiet bow that I have ever shot.  The ones with the machined/milled risers were louder for some reason.  And with bows, quiet is 'more gooder' than speed.IMO
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 08:15
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Excellent  GREAT post Sarge!!  

+1
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 08:41
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

I had a Hoyt Magnatec, with a poured/cast magnesium riser...it was the best shooting,  most quiet bow that I have ever shot.  The ones with the machined/milled risers were louder for some reason.  And with bows, quiet is 'more gooder' than speed.IMO
  I also shot a Hoyt compound when I was in my physical prime, and before I switched back to longbows and recurves. It was a cast riser Pro-Medalist with heavy Pro-Hunter limbs, set up with a PSE overdraw shelf. I used a release and shot it every day for a couple years.
 With a string peep and sight pins, I could keep them on a softball at 60 yards.
I usually shot it at around 85-88 pounds, but had worked myself up to 93 after months of diligent practice. It once put an arrow through a mule deer lengthwise at 40 yards, and the arrow flew on down the canyon and buried the head in an aspen!.
 It was a great bow, but I like the traditional aspect of stickbows in my old age.
I haven't hunted for a couple years, need to get motivated and back into it!

edited for a spelling error.

Edited by RONK - May/02/2009 at 08:45
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 09:34
Black Widow MA-II and a 21st Century Nova
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 09:45
 Black Widows are sweet. I never heard of anybody who had one and didn't like it.
 I also have Bighorn takedown 66-inch recurve that draws 64 pounds. That is a nice smooth recurve, but for some odd reason, I shoot the lonbow better.
 It's super light to carry and silent to shoot. The only thing I don't like about hunting with a longbow is the back-quiver. I prefer a bowquiver, but never found one that worked well on a longbow.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 09:47
i use beeman carbon and crimson talon 100gr's with my cheapo fred bear vapor 300, i need to buy a new bow some day too.
renegade makes a nice bow from what i hear, they call them the "poor man's mathews"

Edited by pyro6999 - May/02/2009 at 09:52
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 09:54
I shoot the 55# Nova longbow more because it's easier on my shoulder. The Widow is 66# and shoots pretty good with very little hand shock.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 10:02
I have a friend who has a Samurai's bow, captured by his father in WWII taking an Imperial headquarters.  It has a 90lb draw and is the most accurate bow I have ever used.  I've tried to talk him out of it a number of times, but no go.  He just lets it sit.  It even has a box of spare strings.  He does wax them every couple of months.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 12:14
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I have a friend who has a Samurai's bow, captured by his father in WWII taking an Imperial headquarters.  It has a 90lb draw and is the most accurate bow I have ever used.  I've tried to talk him out of it a number of times, but no go.  He just lets it sit.  It even has a box of spare strings.  He does wax them every couple of months.  
  Cool!
Is that one of the very long Japanese bows that have the riser about two-thirds of the way down the length, to allow great bow length AND adequate ground clearance for shorter archers?

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 18:20
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Cool!
Is that one of the very long Japanese bows that have the riser about two-thirds of the way down the length, to allow great bow length AND adequate ground clearance for shorter archers?

You got it Ron, a true Samurai.  Best estimate is that it is over 200 years old. Most awesome arrow delivery device I have ever had the honor to hold in my hands and to shoot.  If he would sell it to me, I might give up hunting with rifles.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 18:23
Big Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2009 at 11:04
Hoyt Vulcan.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 14:03
The primary bow I hunt with is a Mathews Drenalin.

My other favorite is an Archery Research AR34 (now discontinued) with their hybrid cams.

I also have a Hoyt Aspen and AlphaTec from the late 1990's, both of which shoot good, but they are pretty loud compared to today's bows.

All my compounds are 70lb, 29" draw.

I shoot Easton ST Axis FMJ 340 arrows and G4 Montec 100 broadheads.

I also have a 60# longbow from a local custom maker that has some pretty cocobolo, purpleheart, and anegre wood, but I don't hunt with it much and have never killed anything with it yet.  I don't feel as confident in my instinctive archery skills as I do with a compound with pin sights.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 18:09
 The instinctive shooting thing is really weird., and longbows must be shot instinctively.  And you have to re-wire yourself completly to do that well.
 I cannot even begin to shoot as well with a longbow on paper targets as I do with a well-tuned compound, at least beyond fifteen or twenty yards or so.
 But for hunting situations- moving game, awkward shooting positions uphill or downhill angles, the longbow always seems to make the impossible shots, that the compound can't.

It takes constant practice to get there though.

For example, I haven't had time to shoot at all for well over a year. If I were planning a hunting trip out West in October, I could probably get the compound out as late as August and with maybe three or four shooting sessions per week I would be in pretty good shape accuracy-wise, by October, although I probably wouldn't have it cranked much over 60 or 65 pounds.
 If I were taking the longbow, I would take it out tomorrow, and after that, every day possible, and work up to shooting it at least five to ten hours a week until I left for the airport, to feel at the top of my abilities with it. Most of that practice would be 'stump-shooting' with Judo or blunt heads.

By that time ANYTHING within 25 yards is as good as dead. 
 Instinctive shooting has truly taken over by then. A squirrel peeks around a tree and the arrow has penetrated his skull before I've even thought that it would be possible to actually miss it.
 It is really an amazing, almost mystical experience to get to that point; hard to explain and probably sounds kind of silly to hear me talk about it like that.

But if you've ever been there, you know what I mean.

Unfortunatly, that sharp edge fades pretty quickly if not maintained, and it's hard to find the time these days.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 19:10
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I shoot Easton ST Axis FMJ 340 arrows and G4 Montec 100 broadheads.

G-4 125's are on the ends of my Eastons. I shoot stick bows but there is no getting around the quality of a Montec, they are outstanding. Nothing beats a machined broadhead.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 13:09
Mathew DXT 70lb 28''

Great post Sarge
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 13:59
i have and shoot an older reflex something or other. I love it most can't pull it back but I have no trouble with it with these big guns i'm toting. It has a 20 year old pendulm (sp) sight on it. It's nothing fancy or high$ but I like it. i also still use the stuff called aluminum as arrows and 125gr thunder heads. if you shoot the wrong size arrow it will brake when it hits the target like the pic below.fun stuff. no thats not the target I shoot and I blow thru it at 75 yards thats my sons target for his way to little for him starter bow.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic