OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any honest 6500 evaluations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooldude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any honest 6500 evaluations?
    Posted: May/01/2009 at 15:04
I just checked one out and it looks good and feels very well made.  Went ahead and ordered one.  Just looking for any good, honest, non-biased reviews.  I have more expensive and less expensive glass, but I like the features they have.  Anyone used one yet?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 15:06
all they really are is a 30mm tubed 6.5x erectored 4200 elite.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 15:08
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

all they really are is a 30mm tubed 6.5x erectored 4200 elite.

That's what I hear too (or close), and I like 4200.

My experiences with Bushnell Customer Service have been very positive.  As has my experience with their optics.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 16:55
Same lenses as the 4200,good scope I bought a used 2-16 6500.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 17:15
I am not sure if my review is good or honest or unbiased (I am really not sure how to address that part of the question), but I did review this scope a little while back.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15017

ILya
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 19:53
           Mouth Taped Shut                   Whistling              Get Your Popcorn Ready
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 00:02
Another  BAD DISHONEST BIASED Review  ---- The dont call him the Dark Lord for nothing. Devil

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 14:45

I have a 2.5-16x42 Mil Dot and a 4.5-30x50 Mil Dot and if you can live with a very limited selection of reticles I would say that they are both excellent hunting scopes.  Very clear, not too heavy and extremely versatile.  The 2.5-16x42 has almost 4" eye relief and a 41 ft field of view @ 100 yards on low power.  All of that  with side parallax setting and only weighs in at 17 oz.  The only negative that I can see is that on higher powers especially with the 4.5-30x50 the sight picture seems to "white out" a bit or loose some resolution but I don't hunt on 30x anyway.  Those higher powers are reserved for use as a spotting scope at the shooting range.  That is my honest to goodness opinion. Smile

Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
MarineHawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 23:46
I bought a 2.5-16x50 6500 almost a year ago to put on my tricked-out M1A. 

I liked it so much that I bought an identical one to put on my Weatherby 340 Mk V Accumark for an Alaskan bear I have scheduled for September.  I had a brief issue with the turret sticking on the newer one (see April 25 thread), but nothing a vice grip and a few half-second of gentle determination would not cure. 

I don't own a Zeiss or Swaro scope, so I can't compare them.  But the 6500 is very clear to me at all ranges and magnifications I can imagine using in the field.  The adjustments are very intuitive and easy to use.

The only thing I can't figure out is the eye-piece knob.  I read the manual and still don't get it.  There's no downside to it that I can see, but I just keep it wound down, and everything works great.  Can anyone tell me what it does/is supposed to do?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 01:28
Originally posted by MarineHawk MarineHawk wrote:

I bought a 2.5-16x50 6500 almost a year ago to put on my tricked-out M1A. 

I liked it so much that I bought an identical one to put on my Weatherby 340 Mk V Accumark for an Alaskan bear I have scheduled for September.  I had a brief issue with the turret sticking on the newer one (see April 25 thread), but nothing a vice grip and a few half-second of gentle determination would not cure. 

I don't own a Zeiss or Swaro scope, so I can't compare them.  But the 6500 is very clear to me at all ranges and magnifications I can imagine using in the field.  The adjustments are very intuitive and easy to use.

The only thing I can't figure out is the eye-piece knob.  I read the manual and still don't get it.  There's no downside to it that I can see, but I just keep it wound down, and everything works great.  Can anyone tell me what it does/is supposed to do?

Eyepiece knob?  you mean the focus ring on the eyepiece?

Set the scope parallax knob (side-focus) to infinity and look at the sky.  Then rotate the eyepiece focus as far out as it will go.  At this point the reticle will not look very sharp.  Slowly rotate the eyepiece focus ring in about quarter turn at the time, until the reticle looks as sharp as possible.  Make sure you glance somewhere else frequently, to let your eye rest.

ILya
tooldude View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooldude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 14:38
I received the 6500 the other day.  Looks good, the reticle is plenty thick, field of view is ok, kind of narrow but better than the 12-42 nightforce I used to have.  Kind of torn, may just use it and if Bushnell ever comes out with a better reticle I should be able to have it changed for a decent price, does anybody do custom reticles for bushnells?  I just wish they said B&L instead of Bushnell, it is hard to shake the rap that some of the cheap scopes gave them.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 15:04
Don't let that bother you...... The folks that know what you have will be quite good with it. Besides, even the cheap Bushy's of today are pretty decent scopes.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
flashpoint View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flashpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 06:30
It s a good post. I desire compare big magnification 30X ones 

1) burris black diamon 8-32X 50
2) Sightron SIII 8-32X 56 mildot
3) Nightforce NXS 12-42X 56 mildot

against bushnell 4,5-30X 50
In terms of optic quality , I can guess Nightforce is best ,his pice 2X ,too
What do you think about?

yeah
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 07:11
I don't have any experience with the SIII, but in my opinion, the NF has a little better optics than the Black Diamond.

I've heard some say that the SIII has better optics than NF, but again, I have no first hand experience with the SIII series.

The main advantage to NF, and the main reason for its higher price, is that it is designed to be very rugged mechanically for extreme use, being a purpose built tactical scope.  It also has an illuminated reticle and the other two don't, which also contributes to the higher price.  Whether or not it is worth the extra price tag is a personal decision based on what you intend to use the scope for. 

Personally, I like NF's version of the standard mil dot better than other mil dots because it is an open, thin design.  For the type of shooting I do with these scopes, I prefer the thinner reticle and "open" style dots that obscure less of the target.  The illuminated reticle option takes care of the problem of losing the thin reticle in low light.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
flashpoint View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flashpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 10:06
then the order optic quality is
First: Nightforce NXS
2on   Sightron SIII
3td    Burris black diamond
4th   Bushnell 6500

I think 2) 3) and 4) have similar prices, then I should buy sightron , I think, didn t I?
yeah
tooldude View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooldude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2009 at 00:41
I think I'd bump the 6500 up one spot for sure.  The quality of it seems a little better to the Sightrons I have checked out, very solidly built.  I will get it out in the prairie in a couple weeks and give it a comparison to Leupold, Zeiss, Nikon, 3200, and Swarovski.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic