OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2.5x fixed power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.5x fixed power
    Posted: May/01/2009 at 14:58
Does anyone besides Leupold and Sightron make a 2.5x or 3x fixed power scope.  I am wanting a scope for my 45-70 and am thinking of going with a low fixed.  Don't want a red dot though.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 15:01
burris has a scout style scope that may work for you.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 15:04
I have the IOR 4X fixed hunter on my 45/70, great scope, great glass, very pleased.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 15:21
Scout or conventional mount??

If you`re going to have a conventional mount, that little Leupy 2.5x FX2 Ultralite is a sweetheart scope. LOTS of eye relief, fast and very light weight. Of all the low power fixed, that would be my top choice for a 45-70.

Scout mount? The 2.75x Burris or 2.5x Leupold.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 15:54
Weaver V-3 1-3x20 on my .444 marlin, nice inexpensive scope.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 17:10
Weaver used to make a K2.5 (2.5x20) scope which was quite nice.  I think it has been discontinued though.

Burris made a Fullfield II 2.5x20 scope until recently (with a corresponding model rebranded as Pentax Lightseeker SG).  That was a pretty decent scope and I still see these occasionally.

The above mentioned Leupold FX-II 2.5x20 is, of course, a very nice little scope.

There are a few cheaper models from Tasco and such, but I suspect you are not too interested in them.

In 3x, the only conventional scope I know of is the IOR 3x25, which is probably more expensive than your rifle.  It is optically superb though and has long eyerelief.

I suspect you do not plan to put an ACOG on your 45-70, so I will skip those.

I recall the guys at Hawke showing a small 3x32 scope that they are working on for shotgun applications and such.  They were saying that it was designed to withstand all sort of abuse.  Optically, it was decent as well, although all I saw was a prototype.

You will have a lot more options if you go with a 4x scope, but truthfully, you have enough to choose from with 2.5x.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - May/01/2009 at 17:25
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 17:15
It's hard to beat the little Leupold 2.5x for that sort of use. I've had them on several medium-to-big-bore rifles for years, and aside from being practically indestructible they have very long, forgiving eye relief, and when paired with the Heavy Duplex are easy to aim with at any big-bore distance.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 19:58
+1 on the El Paso Weaver K2.5 micro-track. Good scope and can be had for under $100. VERY tough and has the weight to prove it. Steel tube.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 20:03
Check out the Trijicon 1.25-4x24 as well. I like it so well I'm outfitting all of my rifles with them. I figure if all of my scopes are the same I'll get out the door quicker instead of standing in front of the safe trying to make a decision Roll Eyes Plus my neck gets sore at the range rapidly switching from one scope to another making comparisons.

Edited by jetwrnch - May/01/2009 at 20:06
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 20:10
  They're actually not all that heavy. Mine weighs right at 10oz and that's with BC caps. My Weaver Classic K2.5 w/caps weighs one ounce less.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 20:19
The Trijicon 1.25-4x is an excellent scope as well. I just wish they'd make a fixed-power version (perhaps a 3x) but they probably wouldn't sell many.

I have owned and hunted with a bunch of 2.5x and 3x steel-tube Weavers and they are tough scopes. But they aren't near as weather-proof as newer scopes, or as good optically, even the coated-lens versions.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 20:30
   +1  I've got an old V7-B (last scope Frank Ruiz tuned up for me) that gave me a fit last season.  At dusk on an overcast day aiming west at deer just inside a tree line maybe 80yds. The glare made it impossible to pull off a shot. Very clear scope but......................
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 00:17
TA392 Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope                                                                                  Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
  • Amber Triangle BAC
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen
SWFA: $925.95
More Info... Buy Now

TA39R4 Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle scope                                                                                  Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle scope
  • Red Crosshair BAC
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $925.95
More Info... Buy Now
MM07F Trijicon Compact Acog Mount                                                                                             Trijicon Compact Acog Mount
  • For AR-15 / M-16 flattop (Picatinny)
SWFA: $84.95
More Info... Buy Now
Special Ring Flattop Adapter - Low (.900 in) Picatinny Style
Surely it wont take long for someone to make a slightly lower mount.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
olywa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olywa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 12:03
I have a Sightron SII 4x32 on my Ruger No. 1 in 45-70. Very bright and compact. After several hundred mid to full power loads, it seems to be a tough little bugger. It fits the rifle really well, and it has great eye-relief.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 12:12
  GOOD to hear,olywa!  I'm kind of a Sightron fan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic