OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tactical for hunting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tactical for hunting?
    Posted: May/12/2005 at 23:36

I am wondering what disadvantages and/or advantages I could expect to encounter if I mount a tactical scope on my hunting rifle? I'm a scope "rookie" and don't know the main differences in these types of scopes. I have come up on a good deal on a Leupold Mark IV, the scope has the mil-dot recticle. I'm not sure how the recticle or scope for that matter would do in the woods. Any help would be much appreciated!!

greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2005 at 06:36
Originally posted by Crafty1 Crafty1 wrote:

I am wondering what disadvantages and/or advantages I could expect to encounter if I mount a tactical scope on my hunting rifle? I'm a scope "rookie" and don't know the main differences in these types of scopes. I have come up on a good deal on a Leupold Mark IV, the scope has the mil-dot recticle. I'm not sure how the recticle or scope for that matter would do in the woods. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Depends on the "tactical" scope you have.  The mildot reticle, as long as it isn't too thick or busy, may actually help.  However, if the scope is too big, too heavy, has an ojective over 44-50mm, etc. then it may end up feeling like a boat anchor after an hour or two of hiking.  If you are a stand-hunter and have a good pair of binocs for spotting game, then you may be OK - but usually most people can get by just fine with up to 6x or 7x scopes in hunting situations in the woods - better Field of View, faster acquisition of target, etc.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2005 at 06:39

I hunt with tactical style scopes all the time. From tree stands, to ground blinds, to spot and stalk, you name it.

I think it depends on YOU, and how comfortable you are with your scope.

Tactical scopes do have high turrets, and they can snag on vines and brush at times.

Hope that helped.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
David View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2005 at 09:13

For series low light hunting, put that $ into better glass.

Here is one of my personal favorites

Crafty1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2005 at 09:49
David (or anyone), do you have any suggestions. My bro-in-law wants $400 for this Luepold. It is a 4-16X50. Which is about what I would want to spend. $500-600 at the most. This just sounded like a good deal considering how much these scopes are new. In the past I have considered IOR, Docter, Conquest, and Burris....never really thought about Luepold until now. Thanks for the help!
David View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2005 at 10:24

That is a good buy considering the scope is a 4.5-14X50 LR, however if it is a 1" Tactical version with a 40mm objective, then its not so attractive.

I still think for trophy game hunting you would be happier with better glass, and more importantly, better coatings.  There are some Kahles 3-9X42's on www.SampleList.com that are in your price range, if you don't mind a previously mounted scope.  European technoligy is top notch in my book.

Dave

dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2005 at 23:31
If you want a tactical scope for hunting get a Super Sniper 10x and spend the money you saved on a trigger job. It would amaze you at how many peoples shot groups tighten up after a good trigger job. A good fixed power scope while not the ideal hunting set up is more than adequate for the job. I used a heavy tactical rifle with a Leupold MK IV 10x mounted on it last season and had no problems.
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2005 at 01:27
I wouldn't use a fixed power tactical scope for hunting. I think it would be more wise to spend the money on a variable power hunting scope with better glass.
Crafty1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2005 at 22:53
I appeciate everyones feedback. My Weatherby Mark V already has a trigger job and the land  that I hunt is definitely more suited for a variable power scope. I'm just not sure what scopes have "good" glass. I have shopped around to compare this Leupold with others. Out of the 4 scopes that I've been able to look through outdoors at dusk( Burris Pro Diamond, Luepold Mark IV, Ziess Conquest, and a Docter) the Burris seemed to be the clearest/brightest, but all were very similar. I have been told to look at the new Burris tactical scopes but cant find any in the local stores. I know the "which one is better" thread has been played out, but I just want to know I'm getting the best for what I can afford......I never new this was gonna give me headaches! If there are any other suggestions please let me know! Thanks again!
ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2005 at 19:06
tactical scopes are made for hunting !!! ( human hunting).....so, is a good choice. For low light situations you need first quality glass, also I like the iluminated reticles.
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2005 at 23:29
I generally like to stay away from illuminated reticles. I have never had a hunting situation in which I wished I would have had an illuminated reticle in my scope. I can see their purpose in certain tactical shooting situations, but I think they are overrated for hunting purposes. Of course this is just my opinion.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2005 at 13:46

Depends on what kind of hunting and what kind of tactical scope.  You mention a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4, which was a hunting scope first and turned into a "tactical" scope.  Down side would be the large M1 style exposed windage and elevation turrets.  They are likely to get turned on accident.  Tactical reticles can be busy and obscure your target sometimes.  The mil dot reticle is very complex and you would not have the time to use it properly for most big game applications.  The term K.I.S.S. really applies here.  You mention that you are a scope rookie, I think it would be best to start basic and possibly work your way up.

Read about the mil dot here.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic