OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon mount for bolt action - help needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote principsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon mount for bolt action - help needed
    Posted: April/30/2009 at 17:40
Hello, I am new to this forum, I need some help and I`m hoping one of you will be able to answer my question. I`ve decided to buy a Mossberg 4X4 bolt action rifle. I`ve spent 7 years in Canadian forces. We were shooting C7 (Canadian variant of M16) scoped with Elcan 1.5X40 scope. It is not a big magnificatio scope, but I was still getting some real decent groupings even at 300 meters.
So, after 7 years, I`ve become accustomed to fixes mag. scopes. That is why I`m not interested in 2-7, 3-9 or any variable magnification scopes.
The scope that cought my eye recently is Trijicon ACON 3.5X35 model, possibly this might be 4.0X32 as well.

My question is: is it possible to mount this scope onto bolt action rifle. The caliber I`m looking for is .270WIN. Please keep in mind that I`d like this scope to be mounted as low as possible but still allowing free movement of the bolt action. Would any rail mount be the best alternative if possible at all?

What are your opinions and especially recomendations? Also, can you give me a link to the best mounting system for this type of scope for a bolt action rifle?

Thank you all for your help, it is greatlly appreciated.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 23:54
Trijicon accupoint scopes are better suited for bolt action rifles as they are either 1in or 30mm tubes and much more like a traditonal optic. You could put an ACOG on a bolt action but it would sit really high and require a cheekpiece like a Karsten cheek piece. La Rue probably makes the best mount to go ACOG to picatinny rail. Not sure why the selection of the Mossberg in a rifle the have not been around a long time. I would go Remmington or savage in a tactical or Sako in a sporter. I did hear that Thompson Center's new bolt guns have the R5 barrel which is nice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
principsd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote principsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 00:24
Thank`s for info. Is this the mount that you are talking about? http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=28

Mossberg 4X4 already has a cheek piece but I can always do as you say and put an additional cheek piece. So far I`m leaning towards Mossberg because of several factors; I have never hunted before, so I wanted to get initiated with lower cost rifle first. Following the same reasoning as I do with my photo gear, I`d rather invest more money into good quality optics first rather than a camera body or in this case a rifle.
I`ve heard some really decent comments and reviews about this riffle so far. For the price (370$), you can`t beat it. It seems to be quite precise and sturdy given its low price. Sometimes in the future, I might get a higher end rifle, possiblly custom made stock or if finances permit, maybe even a Dragunov.

My other choice in scope selection is Leica 2.5-10X42 ER but it is coming out only at the end of October and it is not really what I wanted, given it is not fixed magnification. However, from my photo experience, nobody beats Leica glass. We`ll see how they do with scopes.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 08:21
If you want a hunting rifle and I am going under the assumption that you are in Canada. I would say buy a good quality rifle preferably in stainless steel preferably in 30-06 because you can go to heavy bullets like a 220 grain if you want to hunt Moose or hunt where bears live. Eaven the heavier calibers like 300WM  300WSM 338WM 375H&H  375Ruger would be well worth considering if you hunt where bears live. Firing a shot is like ringing the dinner bell and while a 270 is able to do well on game as large as Elk it is not a cartridge I would want to use to defend against a bear.  30-06 is a minimum cartridge for bear. Spend some time looking at balistics and the amount of energy the cartridges have. I suggest you buy stainless from a standpoint of thinking that if you buy a better quality rifle it will last you a lifetime and it is discouraging to find that a blue finished rifle has rusted when you take it out of storage to use it.  I would rather see you buy a top of the line rifle and put a 6x weaver on it than buy the best scope made and a bargain priced rifle. Buy the best rifle you can possibly afford.  The La Rue item you pulled up is a riser they have scope mounts also.

Check out this Kimber   Break-in 101 this is the scope on it.
LEU66825 Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope                                                                         Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Target Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $469.95
More Info...

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/01/2009 at 08:32

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
principsd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote principsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 04:24
I`d prefer .270 for target shooting as well, regardless of what rifle I buy. .270 is told to have straight trajectory weather 30-06 curves up quite a bit. It is fine for hunting of course, but for long range target shooting, I`d prefer .270. Yes, I live in Canada. Bears are animals I fear and respect and I value your comments regarding bear protection. However, I disagree that .270 at 150 grains is not enough to take down a black bear (there are no grislys in Quebec). I`ve heard stories of people taking down bears with .22 LR with good heart shot. In any case, we`ll be hunting in team of 3 people and I`ll carry my Tokarev SVT 40 (7.62 x 54R) semi auto for just in case. If I order Trijicon scope from a reseller and tell them it is for a bolt action, are they going to tell me which mount I need to have? I visited Larue site, but there are so many mounts and really, I have no idea which one is the best for bolt action and they do not specify.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic