OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hodgdon Hybrid 100

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hodgdon Hybrid 100
    Posted: April/30/2009 at 17:03
Has anyone used this powder?  I have never seen it on the shelf before and given the current conditions, probably won't either.  Curious to how it performed.  Was looking at it due to its claimed consistency and easy of metering.  Looking to use it in my .270.

John

If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 17:11
 According to Hodgdon's web site it gives the highest velocities with most bullet weights in the .270 Win.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 09:16
That is what I have read as well.  Have you ever tried it?  I had never even heard of the stuff till I was on Hodgdon's website.  According to them it was to be released Spring of 2008.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 09:34
   No I've never tried it but I was impressed with the data on it when it started showing up.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 09:42
Well, like Shrek, I'm on a quest then.  I would like to give it a whirl and see what happens, if I can even find the stuff.  To be different is good enough reason for me.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 10:04

Thunbs Up !!
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 09:32

I tried some in the .30-06 while working with several newer powders this past fall and winter, in my New Ultra Light Arms Model 24 with a 24" barrel.

With 165-grain Hornady Spire points and the top load in Hodgdon's manual it got 2875 fps, which is pretty darn zippy. Accuracy was just OK, however. That was at normal temperatures in September.

I also ran a cold-weather test in January, at 5 degrees above zero. Accuracy was about the same (a little over an inch for 3-shot groups at 100 yards) but muzzle velocity dropped to 2699 fps. Point of impact also changed a little over 2 inches between the tests.

Hodgdon does NOT claim Hybrid 100V to be one of their Extreme, temperature-resistant powders, and is definitely isn't, something to consider if you hunt in cold temperatures much.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 09:37
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

According to Hodgdon's web site it gives the highest velocities with most bullet weights in the .270 Win.

It needs to be renamed PYRO POWDER  Wink
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 09:40
pyro powder is retumbo or h-50bmg!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 09:41
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

I tried some in the .30-06 while working with several newer powders this past fall and winter, in my New Ultra Light Arms Model 24 with a 24" barrel.

With 165-grain Hornady Spire points and the top load in Hodgdon's manual it got 2875 fps, which is pretty darn zippy. Accuracy was just OK, however. That was at normal temperatures in September.

I also ran a cold-weather test in January, at 5 degrees above zero. Accuracy was about the same (a little over an inch for 3-shot groups at 100 yards) but muzzle velocity dropped to 2699 fps. Point of impact also changed a little over 2 inches between the tests.

Hodgdon does NOT claim Hybrid 100V to be one of their Extreme, temperature-resistant powders, and is definitely isn't, something to consider if you hunt in cold temperatures much.

would you expect much change in those numbers with a magnum primer jb? i know when im hunting in temps below 32 degrees i use magnum primers.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Crosswire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosswire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 14:31
Burn rate is supposed to be between 4350 and 4831. 

It should be useful in a lot of mid-size cartridges and quite a few magnums.
Sam Colt did more to make men equal than any politician ever did.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 18:38

pyro,

I used a magnum primer. They can help a little bit in cold weather, but of far more importance (at least in my experience) is the powder. I've chronographed a lot of loads with Hodgdon's Extreme powders that didn't lose any velocity between 70 and 0 F.--that used standard primers.

gferrett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gferrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 13:49
Hi SD dog;
You should try Accurate magpro, over 3000 FPS with 150 Nosler PT.
That is fast for a 270 win.

ferrett

If you know how many guns you have you need to buy more

magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 14:39
Originally posted by gferrett gferrett wrote:

Hi SD dog;
 ferrett 
If you know how many guns you have you need to buy more 

Best powder I have found for .270.  I get 3100 fps and change with a Horn. 140g BT.  They list 3239 pfs for a 130g bullet.  A lot of factory Magnums can't beat that.

P.S. ferret, I like your signature Cool
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2009 at 14:44
Originally posted by gferrett gferrett wrote:

Hi SD dog;

ferrett

That is darn right zippy for a 150.  Might have to give that powder a whirl.  Next thing is to see if it is around.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic