OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - VX-3L - Low Profile a Gimmick or Real Advantage?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-3L - Low Profile a Gimmick or Real Advantage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2inchpattern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-3L - Low Profile a Gimmick or Real Advantage?
    Posted: April/30/2009 at 16:14
I'm considering treating myself Smilie and upgrading the scope on my old standby 30-06 from the old fixed power Redfield 4x40 it currently has to one of the new Leupold VX-3L or VX-3 scopes with a 50mm objective lense (at least this is the way I'm leaning right now). Before I do though, I have some questions.Confused How much of a practical advantage is the low profile of the VX-3L with its cut out on the bottom - really? I've used scopes mounted at "standard" heights for years and been able to hit what I have aimed at with what I feel is reasonable regularity so am wondering... Is the low profile really a plus or is it just a new gimmick that might actually prove to be a distraction?Confused Anybody who actually has or has at least tried one of the 3L's - you thoughts and opinions will surely be appreciated as it's a pretty good investment and I don't want to make it foolishly.
2inchpattern
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 17:28
Its really a neat idea, whether its needed or warrented is a personal descision.  I wouldn't mind owning a VX-L.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 17:50
To be honest, I really don`t see any advantage to the 3L`s bottom cut out!. I understand the thinking behind it though.

A 50 mm scope with a little extra light gathering, which is designed to sit as low, if not lower than a 40mm objective scope without the bottom cut out. The bottom line is, you have a 50mm objective scope that sits lower.

I`ve never warmed up to that design. I like a little more space from the receiver to the scope`s bottom. And I certainly don`t want my thumb or fingers inferring with bolt cyling because the ocular bell sits too low either. Though with a 54 to 60 degree bolt lift, (which I don`t have), ocular and bolt clearance shouldn`t then be an issue!

I`ll take the regular `ol 40mm and mount it as low as possible, save some scope weight and some money at the same time.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 17:59
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Its really a neat idea, whether its needed or warrented is a personal descision.  I wouldn't mind owning a VX-L.

It is a neat idea!!  Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 18:03

Low mounting height is a decided advantage for normal shooters using rifles with most sporter-style stocks.  This is especially true as it pertains to hunting. This is because a solid cheekweld is vitally important to accurate shooting results in the field; offhand, moving game, etc.  You don't need to crane your head up to see through the scope; you can keep it snug on the comb where it belongs and where it helps lock shooter and rifle into a single unit.

Not quite so important when shooting  from a benchrest.

The cutout does allow a lower height than a similar scope that doesn't have that feature, and the one I examined had VERY good glass.
 I didn't fall in love with the looks of the cutout strictly on the basis of personal prejudice, but that's my problem. 
 Go for it, you probably won't regret it.
 Incidently, you can shoot very well with very hig-mounted scopes if you have an adjustable stock, or otherwise build up the comb to get your eye up to the line of sight, while maintaining the 'weld'.
 Edited to add:
I posted before reading Big Squeeze's reply; he makes a very good point about bolt handle clearance.  It can be a factor.

Edited by RONK - April/30/2009 at 18:06
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 18:19
I am sure they work great, but have you seen one mounted in person?Puker
not real pretty!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 18:27
 Yeah, they do take some getting used to, (and I'm still working on that myself), but so did the very idea of putting any scope on a rifle, to a whole generation of shooters 90 years ago.
 All what you're used to, I guess....

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 19:54
There not for me.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:05
Yeah I agree it's not the prettiest scope to put on a rifle but it does serve a purpose for reasons RONK stated earlier.

Gotta hand it to Leupold for trying to think outside the box.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:13
 It must have taken some freaky math and geometry calculations to pull it together!
I gotta hand it to Leupold, they did it well. The one I looked at was very crisp and very bright all the way to the edges.
 I was impressed, and I didn't really want to be!
Very nice scopes.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:15
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

It must have taken some freaky math and geometry calculations to pull it together!
I gotta hand it to Leupold, they did it well. The one I looked at was very crisp and very bright all the way to the edges.
 I was impressed, and I didn't really want to be!
Very nice scopes.

Roll on Floor Laughing  Thunbs Up
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 09:44
I bought the VX-L when they first came out,nice idea lower cheek weld for a 50mm that mounts like a 40mm.I didn't have scope covers that would fit because of the design on this scope bell and used it on a wet snowy hunt.I couldn't see any added benefit with the 50 over my VX-III with a 40mm.Low light performance wasn't any better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic