OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NEW Leupold Custom Dial System CDS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW Leupold Custom Dial System CDS
    Posted: April/29/2009 at 16:57

New for 2009  Leupold has introduced a CDS Custom Dial System available on the VX3 and VX3L rifle scopes.  This is a BDC knob custom engraved to allow you to dial in correction for trajectory compensation with a hunting scope. The knob is about the same size as the covers on previous VXIII scopes but is an exposed knob with no cover / cap.  It is quite hard to find info on this as yet however page 19 of the Leupold 2009 Catelogue shows it and I stumbled across them in a store here yesterday so they are definately available. Purchase the scope and it comes with a coupon for a dial engraved correctly for the caliber and load you are using. Additional dials can be ordered.  Aparently this is a noteworthy effort to make dialing correction available for a hunting optic without tall brush catching target knobs.  Definately a good idea certainly not well enough advertised as it is a wonderful improvement.   The leupold catelogue can be downloaded  at http://www2.leupold.com/resources/downloads.htm

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/29/2009 at 17:02

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 17:05
LEU59270 New Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope                                                                                   New Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Custom Dial System
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $639.95
More Info...
LEU59265 New Leupold 3.5-10x50 VX-3L Riflescope                                                                                  New Leupold 3.5-10x50 VX-3L Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Custom Dial System
SWFA: $759.95
More Info...
LEU59275 New Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-3L Riflescope                                                                                  New Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-3L Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Custom Dial System
SWFA: $839.95
More Info...

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/04/2009 at 21:00

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 18:57
I just got a test scope with this system and will be checking it out atop a Savage Model 10 .243 over the next month or so to see how it works out.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 20:58
John I'm sure you will like it.  One of the big disadvantages of having tactical / target knobs on a hunting gun is that you stand more chance the scope will be damaged or the knobs accidentally adjusted by the brush you walk through. To me these are just the right size and allow a much better system for hunting at distance than a balistic reticle. Thunbs Up
Leupold has really done a nice job on the VX3 and VX3L FX3 line of scope.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/04/2009 at 20:59

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 21:27
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 21:54
Guys, I would like to know your opnions on the new VX-3 Scopes. I mean as far as clarity, would you say they are as clear as a Swaro American. I do not have any other scopes other than the Swaro except a old Burris Fullfield.
Thanks! in Advance!

JF
SSgtSmitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSgtSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 10:17
I too have thought about the VX-3 (think it's 3.5-10X40)  and thought that the CDS dial system would be great for my rifles "pet load".  The dails look good, are low profile, but yet are serviceable enough to use.
My rilfe's chosen loading is with a 168gr Sierra Matchking BTHP.  I could get more dials for using eaither a heavy or light weight bullet.  Or I could keep the 168 grain dails and then work from there in dealing with a heavy big game hunting load or a light varmint round.

What would you do, get the dails for the rifles pet laod and go from there or purchase (lot's of money) separate dial for your three main bullet weights?

SSgtSmitty
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 10:59
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

Guys, I would like to know your opnions on the new VX-3 Scopes. I mean as far as clarity, would you say they are as clear as a Swaro American. I do not have any other scopes other than the Swaro except a old Burris Fullfield.
Thanks! in Advance!

JF
No sir it is not. I like it I think it is improved over the VX-III but, I still do not believe it is as clear as the Zeiss Conquest or the Swarovski American.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 11:01
I have a Swaro American and a Kahles KX. I would not even consider trading them for a VX-3. Both of mine are a couple of years old I think 3. Still I would not even consider it.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 13:17
Thank You Chris! I will get that idea out of my head and continue on with which is the next Swaro American I will buy. I just sent my 3x10x42 back to the factory to have them install the BR, it came off of a Kimber 270 WSM. Cost. Im very interested in the new Ballistic Turret as well. I have an older 7mm Bar rifle I just refinished and I have a new Bushmaster Predator and both need scopes. I really enjoy this forum, Im learning alot!

JF      
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 01:48
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

I have a Swaro American and a Kahles KX. I would not even consider trading them for a VX-3. Both of mine are a couple of years old I think 3. Still I would not even consider it.

How does the custom  BDC dial on those work out for you at distance?Devil

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/06/2009 at 01:48

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic