OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tweener scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 16:43
Yes we are looking at the same diagram, I really like the Viper, but I might have to get something with a heavier reticle, since i start hunting  30 min before sunrise and 30 min after sunset like most hunters.
A BAD DAY HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 16:55
This is my favorite category for general purpose big game hunting scopes.  They provide a good compromise between sufficiently high magnification on the high end and good FOV on the low end, in a compact, fairly lightweight package that just looks good on a trim hunting rifle.

Good analysis, Ilya!Excellent

I too am a huge fan of the Kahles 2-7X36 CL (and its predecessor, the 2-7X36 AH).  It's one of my favorite scopes!  I wish mine had the 4a reticle, but alas, it has the very thin plex.  I bought mine used at a good price or it would have had the 4a.  Unfortunately, without a US distributor, I'm not willing to go through the hassle or expense of having it changed to the 4a.  It's still a great scope as-is.  I wish there were more quality "tweeners" available, but this is an overlooked category.  Obviously, they must not be strong sellers.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 19:37
Boy howdy, that is the kind of post that draws me in to OT everyday, if only to read. Thank you for the analysis, sir! You have me looking at another Kahles scope now, though! And that will lead to another rifle! Good grief... I'va fallen and I can't get up!

Regards, Texas
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 19:48
My tweener on the AR

Perfect

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 20:35

Quite often the good tweeners are discontinued, due to lack of sales. A great one for many years was the variations on the 1.5-6x Balvar. This was the Bausch & Lomb scope first made in Japan by Light Optical, which morphed eventually into the 1.5-6x Bushnell 4200, not no longer made.

It was screwed up by being given a HUGE objective by Bushnell for a while, when that was in style even if there was no optical reason for it. This made it as heavy as the 2.5-10x, so buying the 2.5-10x made more sense.

Eventually it was turned back into a more reasonable scope (and I have one of the 4200's) but evidently very few of the engineers who design scopes get the idea.

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 21:05

The middle two 45/70 1895's wear 4200 1.5-6's and are just as big as John Barsness noted as the 4200 2.5-10's ...The XLR has had the barrel cut down to 20" and the scope looks unwieldly on it despite being the appropriate magnification range ,, the 336 SS on the right wears a Monarch 2-7 ( I like these) and the Win94 has a Pentax Whitetils Unlimited 2-5 with the excellent twilght plex reticle

A Leupold 2.5-8 on a restocked Remmy 700 LVSF 308 ..It just "fits" this rifle

Edited by martin3175 - April/29/2009 at 21:06
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 07:14
the only thing that hasnt been mentioned in this thread that may be note worthy is the trijicon accupoints that are tweeners anybody got any info on them??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 09:23

I have 1.25-4x and 3-9x Accupoints on a couple of hunting rifles. The smaller scope has the amber-tipped post reticle, the 3-9x the plex w/dots and a red center.

The 1.25-4x is supposedly a woods scope but I have used it at longer ranges, easily, both in North America and Africa. Usually it's on a 9.3mm wildcat, but right now it's on a .350 Remington Magnum that I'm testing. It's relatively easy to shoot small groups with it off the bench, in fact it works a lot better for that than most people would expect.

The 3-9x is on my .30-06 New Ultra Light Arms rifle right now, where it's pretty much perfect.

Both have very good optics and the adjustments work fine. I like 'em.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 09:31
I'd love to have the new 1-4x24 AccuPoint (with green triangle). I played with one at one of the gun shows...nice!!  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 12:19
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the only thing that hasnt been mentioned in this thread that may be note worthy is the trijicon accupoints that are tweeners anybody got any info on them??

None of the Accupoint scopes (that I know of) fit my definition of a tweener.

ILya
HOLLOWPOINT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLLOWPOINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 02:06
The ultimate "tweener"-scope:

Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good. Thomas Paine
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 03:11
Originally posted by HOLLOWPOINT HOLLOWPOINT wrote:

The ultimate "tweener"-scope:

I am sure that it will be a nice scope when it is available, but it is likely to strain my category definitions a little.  As I have defined the "tweener" class above, it does not quite fit it.  On the other hand, it is not really a "low range variable".

Either way, it is projected to cost well over two grand (I think) and comes with a five year warranty.  I will be surprised if it becomes popular with tactical shooters, but time will tell.

It will be interesting to see how it compares against other scopes with higher erector ratios: IOR 1.5-8x26 and Swaro Z6 1-6x24, for example.  Perhaps Nightforce 2.5-10x24 is another good comparison.  I also suspect that there will be a couple more scopes of similar types announced at the next SHOT Show.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - May/01/2009 at 03:28
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 23:11
I like these "tweener" scopes, great topic and information.  I like the circle reticles that you can get in this size scope...Circle-X, Vortex's Versa-Plex C3, Mueller's Multi-Shot....awesome.

Does anybody know if the original variable scopes were all around this size?  I have not seen many pictures or much info past the 50's.

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 05:36
I believe Koskin should get his lunch bought for him a few days a week by this members of this site or the Host.

Man alive does this info save money and time he has done the real leg work.

I cannot believe how well Koshkin's descriptions are they are non contradictory factual statements that have real world application and can be "seen" and demonstrated.
No one
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 23:19
BTT (someone asked me about this thread).

ILya
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 00:42
The Tweeners have fast become my favorite scopes on hunting rifles. I hunt mostly deep woods and shots are fast within 100yards if that long. many well under 50 yards.  I also wind up hunting the edges of corn and wheat fields when the deer in the woods get spooked. I find the tweeners perfect for these conditions, wide field of view in the woods and enough magnification for the corn field shots. On a CZ550 in 9.3X62 I have a Burris Signature Safari with a 4a reticle, to me pretty much the perfect scope for this rifle. Just bought a Kahles CL 2X7X36 with a 4a for a Tikka T3 in 338 Federal, again seems like a perfect match. I have not found the large objectives to be much help for me, just larger and heavier. I do have one magnum, a '55 model 70 in 300H&H it has a 2.5X10X42 on it but then it will be used in more open conditions and has the range to use/need more magnification.  
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 07:38
Well put smithrjd ...
cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 09:36
I bought a vortex viper 2-7x32 largely on the advice of this column and couldn't be happier with it.  It sits atop a winchester model 70 classic compact 7mm-08 and just fits right for everything this gun needs to do.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 09:41
ive got one(vortex viper 2x7) on a m70 .375H&H love it
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 10:57
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

Quite often the good tweeners are discontinued, due to lack of sales.

The newest fallen tweener that I know of is the 2.5-8x32 Conquest.  This one was a good alternative to a VX3 2.5-8x36, a good scope in it's own right.

Badger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic