OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon for M1A?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimdvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon for M1A?
    Posted: April/28/2009 at 18:30
Would the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40SF with mil-dot, or the 6-18x40SF mil-dot be a good choice for an M1A? 
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 19:47
For what type of shooting are we talking here?
What M1A do you have? Just curious...
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
jimdvan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimdvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 21:29
It's a medium barreled match type that I built. It would be used for long range target shooting and social work if necessary. I'd normally go with a Leupold tactical type but its a little too much for my budget.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 01:12
This should probably be in the Tactical column but here is the deal on the M1a.  The best bases would be Smith Enterprises  and Sadlac.  http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.html
The down side to scoping an M1a is cheekweld sucks unless you add a cheek piece like the Karsten  http://www.snipercentral.com/karsten.htm
Then of course you need some rings  badger ordnance or Leupold Mk4   at least some warne rings.   As for choice of scope you need one that is really tough and the Leu Mk 4 or Super Sniper 10x would be a good choice or a fixed 6x or 4x Leupold.  The gas system of the M1a really punishes a scope so most wont live through it.  If however you do not want to go the cheek piece route you might consider getting the scout type rail form Springfield Armory and mounting an aimpoint.  Or mounting an aimpoint on which ever base you select because cheek weld in not important with an aimpoint.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jimdvan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimdvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 11:07
Thanks, fellas. I have a Smith mount on the gun already so I'll consider the suggestions on alternate scopes. The rings mentioned are the ones I've been looking at.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic