OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New AR needs an optic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New AR needs an optic
    Posted: April/28/2009 at 14:25
I've scoped more than a few ARs in my days, but never had to mount an optic on a setup like this.

The rear-site ap makes mounting a traditional EoTech a problem, and would allow an Aimpoint or the like, but only on a cantilever mount.  Anyone ever put one on this upper or similar?

I really like the rifle, mine has a few niceties added on, but I didn't think the rear site ap would be the problem it is proving to be.  Mine has a full-length rail, I could put an Aimpoint WAY out front, but don't like that prospect as much.

Any help?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 14:28
May have just answered my own question, the mounting platform is a "Dominator2 EoTech mount", I guess maybe an EoTech would work.

Still any experience with (or photos of) your mounts?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 16:31
looks like the set up was made to co-witness without many options. getting a sight picture over the irons would require a cheek riser.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 16:46
Maybe.  The piece is made specifically for an Eotech, I think.

It is a bolt-on piece, I guess I could take it off and get rid of it, have a full rail, add a pop-up rear ap.  That might be my route.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 17:12

I'm lost. The Spec sheet  says it's a 'one piece UTE2 Upper receiver', but you say it's a bolt-on piece?

It looks to me as though the aperature housing is integral to the upper, is it not?

I agree with Dale that it was designed to co-witness with one of possibly several different red-dot type optics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 17:24
It is a bolt-on piece, here is the pic of the piece, and now I see it is not compatible with the 557, dammit!

It was designed to cowitness but limits mounting options.  I could put an Aimpoint on it with a cantilevel but the aimpoint would need to come off to use the irons, so no value of cowitnessing.

I've got an old 511, I'll strap it on and see where the reticle falls and if I want to stay with Eotech or go Aimpoint.

I like the concept of the rail, and I might like the execution, I gotta see where the Eotech sits.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 21:22

I'm STILL dumb.

That  mount is way different than the one shown in the spec sheet in your first post. It even says... 'seven slots'..., the carbine pictured in the spec sheet has ten?

(I can't help you either way; I just hate feeling stupid because I don't understand something!.) Whacko

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 21:25
Run it old school.  Irons baby irons.
Fight Smarter
Not Harder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 08:54
Originally posted by Mithran Mithran wrote:

Run it old school.  Irons baby irons.

Irons never run out of batteries!

I was talking to a guy a served with many years ago, he was Motor T ("If you can't truck it, f*ck it", he'd always say.  His point was similar, "We were hitting every time at 500 yards with open sites and a gun that rattled when you shook it, what the hell do you need a scope for?"
I reminded him how freak'in huge that Dog target was.

I like irons, but for my home defense gun, a scope puts me on target faster and in more diverse conditions.

You are right on the upper, it is different.  Mine is a rail covered by the Dominator - which makes me happy, the damn dominator might be coming off soon.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 19:54
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 20:18
12172 Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight                                                                                     Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Night Vision Compatible
  • Picatinny Mount Included
  • Spacer Included
  • Killflash Included
  • Bikini cover Included
SWFA: $728.95
More Info... Buy Now

DPMS Ashley Ghost Ring Aperture AR-15 A1 or A2 Steel Matte

Product #: 610584   Or XS Sights Ghost Ring Aperture
http://www.swfa.com/c-46-xs-sight-systems-mounts.aspx  I dont see it listed but SWFA does do business with XS so I'm sure they could have one drop shipped to you if they dont have it in stock.
The rear aperture sights can be changed and you can go to one with a larger apreture.   Also the match ones with the screw in hooded aperture if you remove the screw in aperture it makes a huge gost ring  rear sight.   These uppers are mainly designed for the Aimpoint family of red dots to co witness.  La Rue mounts would be a good choice.  There is a fellow selling a used aimpoint on here in the for sale optics forum.  Best choice is the scope above.

NOTE:  for you open sight guys check your aperture size in low light if it is less than your eye pupil size it is restricting light and you will not be able to see targets through it as well as if it were the ghost ring type with larger aperture.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/29/2009 at 20:32

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 12:35
I just got my M3 with LaRue mount, will post pics.

The rail (Dominator) was made for Eotech co-witness, the mount puts it too high to cowitness, so I got the QD.  If I need irons, the Aimpoint can be off ricky tick.

Thanx for all the help.

And if anyone wants a Dominator mount (anyone running an EoTech on a flat-top), let me know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic