OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RETICLE CHOICES?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 19:57
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Hey,if I didn't enjoy doing this I wouldn't be here. LOL

Yea,I didn't figure the V-Plex would be what you want. WAY too thin!

The C3's reticle thick parts are thicker than the V-Plex's as are the thin parts but the distance between the thick parts is VERY wide. I don't know if this one would work in low light as there's nothing to bracket your target with.

Now the thick part of the BDC Dead-Hold reticle is twice as thick as the V-Plex and almost as thick as the C3's,its thin part is about twice as thick as the V-Plex and is the same as the C3's,plus there's alot less distance between the thick parts in the BDC.  Basically the BDC reticle has the same thicknesses as Leupolds std duplex in the VXII 2-7x33 except the distance between the thick parts is narrower in the Leupold, 8.1" compared to 14.2",and of course the Leupold has no dots which may help as target brackets in low light. I believe that out of the three reticles offered this one would work best in low light and is the best of the three for all around use.

Think on this and I'll check out a few other things.

Earl!!!  Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:08
   Bow  THANK YA Bro!!

Marc,have you looked at this scope:

This scope is on par (and some say better) with the VXIII and close to the Conquest.  Because of the quality of the lenses/coatings it is very good in low light. I didn't think of it before because I took for granted that it would be alot longer and heavier than the Viper,but not so.

Edited by 300S&W - April/30/2009 at 20:20
Bullet74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:33

That makes more sence to me now. I was just looking at the 3200 1.5-4.5 Fire Fly, what are they like?  The rainguard looks like a great feature, although the scope is heavy for that power, and there aint much ER neither. I don't even know which scope would best fit my rifle. it a Remington 7600, just curious for mounting length. I pretty set on going with the Heavy Duplex, How much better is the VX3 1.75-6x32  compared to the VX II 2-7x33? What I mean by better is, quality, glass, ruggedness, repitability etc

A BAD DAY HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK
Bullet74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:40
Yes I have looked at the 4200's I'd like to stay with a lower powered scope no bigger that a 2x. I hunt hardwoods out of a ground blind in the mourning, and I've seen deer come out to me no further than 10 to 15 yards. I would think a 3x would be to much.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 21:28
   Your finding out something that we've talked about on here before and that's that there aren't alot of choices in low power variable scopes with low light reticles.  DARN SHAME!                                                                                                                                                                      Problem is you can't get the VXII 2-7x32 with the heavy plex.  If they did I would have gotten one instead of my VXIII.

You say you looked at that 3200.  It's a GOOD scope that w/the Fire Fly works very well in low light and the Rainguard does work.  3.6" of eye relief is not all that short.  My VXIII is 3.7" on 6x and it's never bothered me on my lt. wt. .300.  Could you be satisfied with 4.5 power on the top end? I've taken deer a well over 200yds with a fixed 4x.  How far are your longest shots?

What cartridge do you shoot?

Edited by 300S&W - April/30/2009 at 21:30
Bullet74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 06:10

I don't think any of my shots would be over 200 yds where I hunt now, although I probobly won't be hunting there forever, and if Iever hunt where shots are over 200 yds I could always upgrade. By the way, would you know how long the firefly stays lit-up after you shine the light on it?

I hunt with a Remington 7600 in a 270
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 06:28
  MORNIN Marc!  First off you said earliar about possible mounting problems due to scope length. There are many ways to make one fit. Here is one:
  What ring/mount system are you using now?

Not sure how long the reticle stays lit but I'll find out. Sounds like that 3200 would work great for ya.
Bullet74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 07:09

Morning 300, I bought that same base at Bass Pro last weekend, they tried to sell me rings, but I told them I didn't know what scope I was going to get, they where a little to pushy for me.

I'm going to look around online and se where I can get the best price for the 3200, mabe I'll find something else interesting. I've been looking and comparing scope for almost 5 months, I am so picky when it come to buying stuff, I guess I just want to mak sure I get what I am looking for, I don't want to just settle for a scope.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 07:21
  I've been there and done that with scopes and other stuff!  It's NICE to have alot of choices but it can drive ya up a wall.

That base will give you more choices in scopes as now you don't have to worry about tube length so much. If I were you I would check out Leupolds Rifleman Series rings to use. VERY well made and a GOOD selection to boot. I use the vertical splits alot.

Let us know how ya make out if ya would.  GOOD LUCK 
Bullet74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 07:31
I just seen on another website that Bushnell also made a firefly in a 1.5-6x36 in the 4200's Now that would be a perfect scope for me
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 07:43
  Your right,it would be. I'm thinking it was discontinued and I don't see it on the Bushnell web site. But it will be nice if you can find one in stock somewhere. Being your in Canada can you order online from the US?
Bullet74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 08:02
You know what I don't know if I can, I should look in to it. I know it would cost more, duty and taxes, But that wouyld be a great scope.

Here is the site I found it on, and I emailed them asking if the ship to Canada

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 08:12

Thunbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic