OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vintage scopes from 1960s and 70's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage scopes from 1960s and 70's
    Posted: April/27/2009 at 22:44
I am looking to scope a 1956 Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine, and was wondering if any of you guys know of a place that sells older scope models.  I was hoping to get something that would look appropriate on a rifle of this age, so I think that an older Zeiss or other German manufacturer would be nice.  If you guys could let me know, or if you know of some of the older manufacturers from Germany/Austria that I could google, I would appreciate it. 

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 22:52
Gun Broker has what you need!
BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 23:19

That was easy, and you are right.  Any suggestions on brands?  Any brands from this age that I need to steer well clear of?

BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 23:25
On second glance, it looks like they have a couple of Redfields, and not much else.  Any other suggestions?
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 23:31
There are a lot more than Redfields,don't want to suggest a scope I think you know what you are looking for, try a wider search on that site they have everything try adding... older,vintage or name brand they will come up Unertles are good the Hawk model for that gun, old Lymans? Weavers, Kahles ,Bushnell balvars, Hensolts? 

Edited by rifle looney - April/27/2009 at 23:35
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 07:20
Try the on-line auctins AA and E***
I see Pecar's on the latter farely regularly.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 12:40
There is a guy that runs an ad in what ever gunlist is called now.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 21:26
Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

Hi Magshooter, thanks for the info, but who is Pecar?  Or do I just look silly asking that question?
madcratebuilder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madcratebuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 07:57
Evil bay has a large selection of vintage scopes.  I have bought two older Weaver K series scopes, both near new condition.
iwilder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 11:43
BobH biggest

What scope you need will depend to some degree on what model and year your mannlicher Schoenauer is.  I have a  Mannlicher Schoenauer 1956 magnum in 6.5x68.  This gun has a factory mounted Kahles 2x7 rail scope in Steyr mounts.   That is the factory setup.  See if you can find an old Stoegers catalog from the 50s.  They were the MS importer.   Ebay has a lot of older european scopes for sale. Check them out. 

The biggest obstacle will be the mount.  Due to the spilt bridge, mounts are usually high.   I would steer away from mounts that require you to drill extra holes.  The Redfield mount works well.  The Leupold mount requires extra holes.  The Bausch & Lomb\Kuharsky mounts may work for your model and the early B&L balvar scopes are nice and easy to find.  They have etched tapered cross hairs in some of them (Balvar 8a).  I have several of these and like them.  From the 1951 model on they were drilled and tapped on the left side ti the rear of the receiver.  Not until the MCA model M/S was the receiver ring factory drilled and tapped.  Some models have a plate for a side mount.  This is mounted below the stock line on the left side.  I believe Griffin& Howe as well as some others will work.  This doesn't require new holes or cutting away at the stock.  It also allows easy removal of teh scope for use of iron sights as does the Steyr mount I mentioned earlier.  It is similar to the EAW mount.

I hope this helps
Ike
iwilder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 11:44
Not sure what the  "BobH biggest" means, even if I wrote it myself.
Ike
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:12
yep, I would go to ebay to look for vintage scopes.....I believe I have seen just about every brand on earth on ebay over the years.  You can also contact the sellers and pick their brains about other sources. 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 03:20
Here is my gun, a 1903 with a variation of Stricker patent cheekpiece and 7/8" diameter scope in orignal mannlichers shoenaur scopemounts from the 50th. The scope will be replaced with a Zeiss, Hensoldt, Kahles or whatever when I find one. The Binocular at the picure is a Leitz Binozito (1910) one of the first Leitz (Leica) binoculars to come out on the market. However as you probably want you gun to be correct, I would recomend either this orignal mount (farily easy to find in europe, Ebay is a good solution) or a clawmount, but those are expensive.  Scopevise I would go for Zeiss, Hensoldt, Kahles, Swarovski or any other high end european that qualityvise corresponds to the gun you have.
Technika

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 06:03
Technika, that is a sweet looking setup.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 07:28
That is a NICE rifle!! Great pictures too!! Thunbs Up

Edited by mike650 - May/01/2009 at 11:32
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 08:56
Originally posted by BobH BobH wrote:

Hi Magshooter, thanks for the info, but who is Pecar?  Or do I just look silly asking that question?

Pecar was a small German Optics Co. in Berlin that closed its doors early last year.  You can find some other references here on the OT.  They made very good high quality scopes.  Most of what I see online for sale is older stuff.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 08:58

Pecar was a small German Optics Co. in Berlin that sadly closed its doors early last year.  You can find some other references here on the OT.  They made very good high quality scopes.  Most of what I see online for sale is older stuff.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 09:00
Great rifle and photos, technika!!
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 09:02
   Thunbs Up   What a CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 09:03

Pecar was a small Berlin, Gemany optics firm that sady, closed its doors early last year.  They made very good high quality scopes.  You can find other references to them here on the OT.  Most of what I have seen on auction sites are their older scopes.  Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic