OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ramshot Hunter Powder in 338WinMag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramshot Hunter Powder in 338WinMag
    Posted: April/27/2009 at 10:42
Do any of y'all handload for 338WinMag? Have any of you tried Ramshot Hunter powder? I want to try it with Nosler 180 gr. Accubonds, and I'm lookin' for a recipe. The Ramshot data doesn't address Nosler bullets for 338.

Thanks in advance,

Texas
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 17:12
Ramshot is about the only powder I've yet to try.  Find a simular powder with equal burn rate and start slowly from there.  Maybe someone else will chime in with more specific data.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 17:20
  Been looking on and off today. Not much out there. You can check out their burn rate chart.

John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 13:33

I have used Hunter a LOT, and it has become one of my go-to powders. In the .338 I have only used it with 250-grain bullets. It got exscellent accuracy and matched factory 250-grain loads in velocity (2660 fps) but in the 22" barrel of my custom FN Mauser. The charge was 71.0 grains. I haven't tried it with 225's yet but it should work very well.

I also suspect that Ramshot Big Game might be one of the very best powders for 200-210 grain bullets in the .338, based on my experience with it and 150-grain bullets in the .30-06 (over 3000 fps and fine accuracy) but haven't tried it yet.

I have also loaded 58.0 grains of Hunter with 180-grain bullets in several .30-06's, with uniformly excellent results in accuracy, with 1/2" to 3/4" 3-shot groups common at 100 yards.  Muzzle velocity averages around 2800 fps with 180's in 24" barrels. This has become my standard 180-grain .30-06 load, the one I try before anything else. So far it has also been the last load tried in several '06's, because it worked in every one.

Hunter also works great in the .257 Roberts and .270 Winchester.

Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 14:43
Howdy Hi John! 

Thanks for the reply and the load, that is about what I had figured as a max for 250 gr. .338 pills.  Ramshot shows the Hunter as just faster than RL-19, I figure it should be excellent for 338WinMag given RL-19s rep with the caliber.  Big Game might very well be good for lighter boolits, too, but I don't have any Big Game yet... I have some 180gr NAB .338WM test loads made up with VV-N150 per the Nosler manual and I want to make some up with Hunter for the same range trip next weekend.  I've been trying to hook up with someone with Quickload to run the 180 gr. NAB numbers but so far no luck. I may just wing it if I have to, and work off interpolating between RL-19 and H4350 loads. This will be for a Tikka T3 Hunter with the factory 24" barrel.

If the Ramshot burns as clean as is advertised and it will shoot I may need to order more kegs! If it worked good in your 270 it should work well in my 280AI, too!!!

Tom
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 15:26
Hunter worked very well in my .280 AI. The combination was 61.0 grains and the 140 TSX, for a little over 3100 fps in a 22" barrel. It is also great in the .300 WSM.

I have never gotten into any trouble when using Hunter by starting with H4350 data, then watching the chronograph while working up.

Actually, I just checked Ramshot's latest data and they do have 250-grain .338 Win. Magnum data, listing a maximum of 67.0 grains for 2640 with a 250-grain Sierra. Obviously the load I have been using (71.0 grains) should be over max, but I am using the 250 Hornady Interlock which has a shorter bearing surface than about any other bullet, and between that and my rifle's custom barrel and obtaining the same basic muzzle velocity I am not too worried, since there isn't even the slightest hint of excessive pressure. But it would be wise to start low and work up, as with all handloading.

I believe I also tried Hunter with 300-grain bullets in the .375 H&H, where it worked OK but not great, certainly not as well as H4350.

Ramshot TAC is the best powder I've found in the .338 Federal, or maybe I should say in my .338 Federal. Benchmark is great with 160's and 180's, but with every other bullet weight from 200 up TAC does better, and comes close to matching factory ballistics.
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 17:51
Thanks again all - I am going to load a few test rounds tonight. Range report will be forthcoming. I need to figure out the right Texas whitetail load for next fall now while the weather conditions match - hopefully the wind will cooperate.
Good shooting!
Texas
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 18:52
I got this data today, it is not derived from shooting and is just predicted performance so the usual precautions apply; i.e., start low and work up carefully!

Enjoy, Texas (edited to line up the columns better and correct the date)

DATA FROM QUICKLOAD                                   29 APRIL 2009

Cartridge :                     .338 Win Mag.
Bullet :                           .338, 180, Nosler AccuBond 54374
Cartridge O.A.L. L6:      3.340 inch or 84.84 mm
Barrel Length :              24.0 inch or 609.6 mm
Powder :                        Ramshot Hunter

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 3.0% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step    Fill.      Charge     Vel.      Energy      Pmax       Pmuz     Prop. Burnt     B_Time
%        %        Grains      fps       ft.lbs          psi           psi         %                    ms

-30.0   72        53.20     2112   1783         20295      6457    77.5                1.680

-27.0   75        55.48     2201   1937         22364      6899    80.0                1.617

-24.0   79        57.76     2292   2100         24650      7339    82.5                1.556

-21.0   82        60.04     2385   2273         27175      7773    84.8                1.497

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 18:58

May not be the best powder for that application.  To slow a burn rate.

Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 19:06
I would suspect the same, and if using a Ramshot powder with 180's would first try Big Game.

I have used QL for several years, and while it is useful I've found that it is about as accurate as weather predictions for the day after tomorrow. About 1/3 of the time it is spot on, about 1/3 of the time too hot, and about 1/3 of the time too wimpy.
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 20:06
I think you guys may be correct. I will be comparing group sizes with the VV N-150 loads. I gotta get a chronograph, don't have one yet... meanwhile, I just try to use the most accurate, reasonably fast load. I am trying to improve on the Nosler Custom ammo I used last deer season, it was the 180AB @ 3100 fps per the boys at Nosler. That ammo shot ok, but of course, I think I can handload better than they can!

Regards,

Texas
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 20:10
Originally posted by Texas Texas wrote:

I think you guys may be correct. I will be comparing group sizes with the VV N-150 loads. I gotta get a chronograph, don't have one yet... meanwhile, I just try to use the most accurate, reasonably fast load. I am trying to improve on the Nosler Custom ammo I used last deer season, it was the 180AB @ 3100 fps per the boys at Nosler. That ammo shot ok, but of course, I think I can handload better than they can!

Regards,

Texas

This is a Bold statement!
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 20:43
Well, I measured the runout on the Nosler ammo, and my loads are more concentric, anyway... and I'm from Texas! Whadaya expect me to say! LOL!
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 20:44
Well OK, you then have reasoning but stay safe!
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 17:39
I took the handloads to the range today and shot the Tikka 338 for the first time. Neither the VV N-150 loads or the Ramshot Hunter loads were very impressive for groups. But, it was all brand new Norma brass, and some loads looked better than others. I will home in on the best of the N-150 loads with the fireformed brass and we will see what we will see. 67.0 grains of N-150 actually shot pretty good with two holes touching and one flier about 0.8" out.  Could have been me, could have been the brass - I didn't size or trim it prior to fireforming. Maybe that will be the load after proper brass preparation. John B and 300 S&W are right about Hunter, I think - too slow for .338WinMag with 180 gr. Accubond. Oh well, now I know. Still, it might work with heavier boolits. I will try it, anyway.

By the way, Looney, I shot a couple of the Nosler Custom Ammo rounds for grins, they didn't do any better. One of them apparently was significantly overloaded, the primer came out flatter than any hot load I've ever cooked up! Totally flush with the face of the case head! Kinda freaked me out!

Regards,

Texas

Edited by Texas - May/01/2009 at 17:45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic