OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta 7X42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopta 7X42
    Posted: April/26/2009 at 13:30
I found a Meopta 7X42 at a price I couldn't refuse and have been using them for a couple of weeks now.  I am extremely impressed.  First, for glasses wearers, they are by far the most comfortable binoculars I have used.  It is so easy to get a keep a full field of view.  I guess it's a combination of the 20mm eye relief and 7X mag.  Everything else is just as impressive.  Clarity, brighness and low light performance are all outstanding.  My brother brought his Swaro EL 8.5X42's down and we swapped back and forth for the last 45 minutes of the day.  The Meopta's were easily my choice.  The only advantage the Swaros had was the extra mag, but the Meopta was so comfortable and easy to look through it more than made up for that, and were better as the light went away.  I'll spend some time comparing them to the Swaros and several others and post my opinion in the reviews section.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 13:31
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I found a Meopta 7X42 at a price I couldn't refuse and have been using them for a couple of weeks now.  I am extremely impressed.  First, for glasses wearers, they are by far the most comfortable binoculars I have used.  It is so easy to get a keep a full field of view.  I guess it's a combination of the 20mm eye relief and 7X mag.  Everything else is just as impressive.  Clarity, brighness and low light performance are all outstanding.  My brother brought his Swaro EL 8.5X42's down and we swapped back and forth for the last 45 minutes of the day.  The Meopta's were easily my choice.  The only advantage the Swaros had was the extra mag, but the Meopta was so comfortable and easy to look through it more than made up for that, and were better as the light went away.  I'll spend some time comparing them to the Swaros and several others and post my opinion in the reviews section.

Cool, looking forward to it Mike!!! Thunbs Up

Edited by mike650 - April/26/2009 at 13:48
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 13:48
Thunbs Up  The Meopta Meostars are excellent binoculars!!!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 15:27
No argument from me, I truely love my 10x42 meopta's.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 17:45
I have heard alot of positives about the meostars from you guys, to bad I don't know anyone with a pair.  I have the 8.5x42 el's and I really like em alot.  I am going down to Cabellas in Dundee MI in a week.  I'll have to check them out.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
"keep smiling, it makes people wonder what your up to.
"Eagles may soar, but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines.
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 17:46
Ohh yea, I was wondering how they compared to Razors?
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
"keep smiling, it makes people wonder what your up to.
"Eagles may soar, but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 18:55
I think the Razor and Meostar are pretty comparable optically.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 20:51
I was looking at the 8X42 Razor, but I was able to get this for less, and I really wanted 7X.  I don't have access to a Razor for comparison but I think they've been compared here before.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 05:07
The meoptas are great binos. I handled a 8x32 last week. I compared it to a SLCnew 7x42. Not really fair but here is what I noticed.

THe meoptas were amazingly bright and vivid in the day time. On par with swarovski.

The view didnt snap up as quick because of the exit pupil difference.

The focus ring was smoother/easier on the swaro

the meopta lens covers were pretty cheap

ALL in all, if i was buying new< it would be hard to get the swaro 7x42 over the meopta 7x42 because they usually cost $400 more. If there were the same price, I would get the swaro.

SInce i have the swaro, im not selling to get the meopta though
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 17:31
Meopta definitely makes some nice glass. I was very impressed with their 8x32 recently and have owned the 7x42 as well. Beautiful glass for the money!
Frank
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 19:00
Meoptas are also very rugged. Not that Swarovskis aren't tough, but the Meoptas are VERY tough.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 18:56
I would agree. My personal favorite is the video that Cabelas utilizes to showcase their Eurobins...the ice test and boiling water test are eye opening!
Frank
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 22:11
Comfortable viewing is exactly what the Meoptas have ... in spades!  I could not agree more.  I am also impressed with the ZEN EDs for a budget/premium binocular.  Check out my comparison in the Members Reviews section.Stare
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 10:54
THESE ARE ALPHA CLASS BINOS, AND BUILT LIKE TANKS! I WOULD RECOMMEND THESE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SPEND $1,000-1,500 on a "NAME" brand

However the occular covers are worthless

Edited by 308WIN - March/13/2010 at 07:38
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic