OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-3 vs Trijicon TR22-2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-3 vs Trijicon TR22-2
    Posted: April/25/2009 at 13:04
How about this for a comparison for an AR-15 SPR style build, so .223 18 barrel shoothing 77gr Matchkings out to 600 yards.

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10 x50mm illuminated BC reticle
part number 66640

vs

Trijicon TR22-2 2.5-10 x50 with Mildot reticle

I like ballistic retilces and Illumination.
Does anybody have any opinions on these two?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2009 at 13:23
Well as a matter of fact.  You are off by 6mm  the TR222 is the mil dot with amber illumination and it is a 56 mm objective.  I'd suggest the TR202 in the 3-9x40 its a smaller scope and in the VX3 I would suggest the same 40mm objective on a AR.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ando View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2009 at 17:50
I saw that I was off on the TR22-2 but I couldn't figure out how to edit the post.  There aren't any 40mm VX3's with Illumination, and I had read that the 3-9 accupoint glass was not up to the standard of the new offerings.  That and the wider magnification range of the TR22 pulled me in that direction.  I would certainly be interested in other comparable scopes.
So how about it, does the TR20 have glass as good as the TR22?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2009 at 21:09
Originally posted by Ando Ando wrote:

I saw that I was off on the TR22-2 but I couldn't figure out how to edit the post.  There aren't any 40mm VX3's with Illumination, and I had read that the 3-9 accupoint glass was not up to the standard of the new offerings.  That and the wider magnification range of the TR22 pulled me in that direction.  I would certainly be interested in other comparable scopes.
So how about it, does the TR20 have glass as good as the TR22?

I have an Accupoint 3-9X40 and I think the glass is quite good.  The new Accupoints seem to me to perhaps have better eyepiece design (a little less tunnel vision), but I'm not sure that there's any difference from an image quality standpoint.

The forum is configured so you can't edit or delete your posts until you have 50 posts.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2009 at 21:15
I vote for the Trijicon, I have an Accupoint  and am pleased.

A friend just bought the 2.5-10 (mounting it this week) and said he likes it allot.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2009 at 23:48
When I'm thinking AR-15 I'm thinking smaller optic  like this :
LEU60220 Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope                                                                            Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $1,099.95
More Info...
LEU60170 Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope                                                                            Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • M2 Target Knobs
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $1,149.95
More Info...

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/25/2009 at 23:49

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 11:15
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

When I'm thinking AR-15 I'm thinking smaller optic...

+1!  (Unless, of course, the AR is intended for long range tactical or competition.)

If not a low-powered variable scope, then a reflex type dot sight or ACOG.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 16:22
The 2.5-10 to which I referred is going on an AR-10 that will be used for hogs, and usually in low light.
I mostly agree that huge scopes on ARs ain't best, unless it is a long-range or varmint AR, then huge scopes are fine, since the gun aint' tiny either.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 23:41
The  2.5-10x56 Trijicon  is an optic that is very very high on my list of scopes that I like. I think that in general most guys would be happier with the smaller 3-9x40 on most AR platforms.  I would have no problem selecting the 2.5-10x56  or the 5-20x50 with tactical knobs  for an AR and dealing with the added weight and bulk .  For long distance the
5-20x50 with tactical knobs makes the most sense.  I am convinced that the Accupoint line is at its best at night or in heavy brush places other scopes simply do not do well.   I have  thought about putting the 5-20x50 TR23R I just recieved on my White Oak 18 in SPR flat top - that probably would be a very good match up since I wouldnt be dealing with a plus moa base.  

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic