OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thanks all for their help on the Swarovski quest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thanks all for their help on the Swarovski quest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capp35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanks all for their help on the Swarovski quest
    Posted: April/24/2009 at 21:59
I passed on the non-Swarobright SLC 10x42 binocs. Mainly because of all the advice on here.
I dug a little deeper into my pockets and found a used mint set SLC 10x42 NEU, with a hard case, for an extra $200 on the web.
Beside the extra weight, aren't these as optically superior as the EL model?

Can't wait till they are here!

Thanks all.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 13:20
Originally posted by Capp35 Capp35 wrote:

I passed on the non-Swarobright SLC 10x42 binocs. Mainly because of all the advice on here.
I dug a little deeper into my pockets and found a used mint set SLC 10x42 NEU, with a hard case, for an extra $200 on the web.
Beside the extra weight, aren't these as optically superior as the EL model?

Can't wait till they are here!

Thanks all.

They're considered "top shelf", I think you'll like 'em.  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 22:14

Good choice!

But no, sorry, they aren't as "optically superor" as the EL's. That's why Swarovski charges more for the EL's.

308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 05:09
when I talked to someone at swarovski, i was told the NEU's were basically the same as the EL's optically with differences in weight and ergonomics
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 06:55
I have a new pair of 7x42 SCL and when I talked to the Swarovski Factory they told me that now the SLC and ELs have the exact same glass in them and the same coatings.  Like .308 said the only difference is the weight and egronomics.  Great choice!  I purchased mine and I have never looked back.  Besides Swarovski has the best customer service in the business bar none.
D. Holmes
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 07:43
Yep- aluminum vs magnesium & single bridge vs dbl bridge
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 07:45
Lastly the 7x42's are phenomenal, only drawback is weight
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 17:32
That's what I understood too. Thunbs Up  
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 18:27
I have heard both opinions on the optical comparison between SLCneu and EL.  Some say they are the same optically and some say that ELs are better.  Interestingly, both statements seem to track back to something said by SONA people. 

Personally, I think that SLCnew are either as good as ELs or very close to them.  Figuring that out is complicated by the fact that they are largely available in different configurations, except for the 10x42.  Unfortunately, that particular configuration is of essentially zero interest to me, so I never looked at it in any detail. 

However, simply looking at the specs implies that the differences are not restricted to the chassis: both eye relief and close focus distance are substantially different as are the overall lengths.  If I had to make a guess, I would say that these are different designs.

ILya
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 19:25
Mr Koshkin, just why is the 10x42 of zero interest? Is it the magnification, the objective od. or the combination of the 2? I've used 7x42s 7x35s in the past and was considering the 10x42 as a future purchase, mostly for the added magnification. Would you think that unwise and should go for a larger obj? I'm not trying to put you on the spot but would appreciate your valued input. Thanks. (And now the swords are drawn.)
Capp35 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capp35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 19:59
Many don't like the higher magnification because the loss of some field of vision. Especially bird watchers.
I already have an older pair of Zeiss 7x50 and while fine for low light, they are awkward/heavy and not strong enough for my eyes when hunting and viewing animals at 200+ yards.
I will take a loss of some field of vision for a smaller package that brings me a stronger magnification and good clarity/contrast.
I think for my purpose, it is the best of both worlds, high magnification, large objective and compact (semi) package.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 20:35
Higher mag will not give s better picture if you cant stabilize your binoculars well. I have 10's always have, but after viewing through 8's I'm sold!..IMO
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 20:40

Many don't like the higher magnification because the loss of some field of vision. Especially bird watchers.
I already have an older pair of Zeiss 7x50 and while fine for low light, they are awkward/heavy and not strong enough for my eyes when hunting and viewing animals at 200+ yards.
I will take a loss of some field of vision for a smaller package that brings me a stronger magnification and good clarity/contrast.
I think for my purpose, it is the best of both worlds, high magnification, large objective and compact (semi) package.

Some also don't like 10x because of possible issues like shake or eye strain. I don't generally experience these problems with 10x and prefer the 10x42's EL's for most of my hunting needs.

Edited by mike650 - April/27/2009 at 21:13
Capp35 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capp35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 21:59
I would of loved to get the EL's but the pocketbook wouldn't allow it.  Just spent a load on my early model Winchester 94. :D
These were the best buy that i had found.

As far as stabilization, hunters (at least me) have it the best. I always have a tree, shooting sticks or a stand support to lean/brace me while viewing. Heck I have even hand held my spotting scope with my shooting stick.

I also have an old pair of Nikon 7X30 that use in my tree stand sometimes.

You want to talk about eye strain? I forgot my binocs one time, and a friend loaned me a cheap pair of 12x  (can't remember the brand). I had the worse headache that night.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 02:31
Originally posted by big boar big boar wrote:

Mr Koshkin, just why is the 10x42 of zero interest? Is it the magnification, the objective od. or the combination of the 2? I've used 7x42s 7x35s in the past and was considering the 10x42 as a future purchase, mostly for the added magnification. Would you think that unwise and should go for a larger obj? I'm not trying to put you on the spot but would appreciate your valued input. Thanks. (And now the swords are drawn.)

It is largely a personal choice.  After some fairly objective testing I found that if binoculars are handheld, I do not see any more detail with 10x, than with 8x.  I do get a lot more eye fatigue with 10x due to small hand tremors.  Hence, for me, higher magnification binoculars are only useful when supported (mounted on a tripod, for example).  On top of that, I prefer binoculars with exit pupil higher than 4.4mm of the 10x42 for allround .  Since it ends up being a tripod-only proposition anyway, I might as well choose something with either larger objective lens or more magnification (or both).

For me, the best allround binocular configuration is 7x42, with 8.5x50 being my preferred configuaoin for open spaces.

ILya
Capp35 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capp35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 13:44

I agree 7x or even 8x42 is probably the best all around binocular. The word being "all around".  If I was only going to have one pair, that is probably what I would of gotten. Being that I already have an excellent pair of 7x50, I wanted a higher magnifaction without going to a large 50mm lens.

Must not be too bad of a size though, being it is the biggest selling with Swarovski. If I remember right, it is the only common size that you can get in both the SLC and EL.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 13:55

I agree 7x or even 8x42 is probably the best all around binocular. The word being "all around".  If I was only going to have one pair, that is probably what I would of gotten. Being that I already have an excellent pair of 7x50, I wanted a higher magnifaction without going to a large 50mm lens.

Must not be too bad of a size though, being it is the biggest selling with Swarovski. If I remember right, it is the only common size that you can get in both the SLC and EL.

As I said, it is a personal choice.  For me, higher magnification without going to a larger objective lens is thoroughly useless.  For you, it may be different. 

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 14:23
A couple more birthday's and you won't have to worry about bino's with large EP's......................Happy B-Day dude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic