OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Have I already found my answer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have I already found my answer?
    Posted: April/24/2009 at 12:21
I am acquiring a 700 Mountain Rifle in .30-'06.  I already have one in 7x57, and I have paired that rifle with a Vortex Viper 2-7x32.  I really like that scope - the picture, the magnification, the diameter, length, size, and overall "look", especially for the price.

However, because I can second-guess myself to death on this forum, I thought I'd ask if would I be able to do any better with another scope for < $325 or so?

I would not be averse to a fixed power scope, & I have a Conquest 4x32 that I dearly love, mounted on another rifle.  If I could find a 6x in that size or a touch slimmer, I might very likely go that direction.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

FC
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 12:41
You don't want to know what is on sale on the sample list...
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 13:21
Welcome, FC!

I have no experience with Vortex scopes.  However, I have one of their Razor binoculars, and it's fantastic!  Their scopes so far have developed a very good reputation for not only their optics but also their durability.  As a company, they have a great warranty and customer service.

Personally, I do believe you've already answered your own question.  I would probably get another 2-7X Viper, or maybe the Nikon Monarch 2-8X32.  I like variables in that power range, and I can't think of another scope for $325 or less that I can honestly say I'd prefer over the scope you have. 

Edited by RifleDude - April/24/2009 at 13:23
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 14:08
The Vipers are a good buy, hard to beat without spending more.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2009 at 06:52
   FC:  In a fixed power scope, the most overlooked 'best buy' deal out there is the Weaver Classic K series in either 4 or 6 power. They're light (under 10 oz), the optics are darn good, the w/e adj. are repeatable and reliable and their proportions are perfect for a light barrelled sporter or mountain rifle. Those European occulars on a nice, trim rifle are just double ugly. Wink

Side-by-side against a Leupold 6X36, I was  hard pressed to tell any difference. I actually prefered the Weaver.

I've got the 6X on my 250 Ackley Impoved hunting rig and it's given me great service for several years. Based on that, I recommended them to three of my pals....all of whom hunt hard. They love 'em as well.

Here's a photo of my 250 Savage Ackley so you can get a better idea of the proportions:

Hope this helps.  -Al

Edited by Al Nyhus - April/25/2009 at 07:12
"Marsupials scare me".
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2009 at 06:55
Conquest 2.5x8x32.  Awesome scope for the money!

Edited to remove sale advertising.

Edited by RifleDude - April/25/2009 at 11:07
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2009 at 11:05
Magshooter, I know you mean well, but please read forum rule #3.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5473
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 07:07
My Bad, Dude Mouth Taped Shut The other boards I'm on aren't as strict and I keep forgetting that this is not an independent board.

Edited by magshooter1 - April/26/2009 at 07:09
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 12:53
Thanks, everyone, for the replies so far.

Al, I was, indeed, intrigued by the Weaver K6's.  Still, I'm a bit wary on Weaver:  I once owned a Grand Slam 4.75x40 that I was less than impressed with.

The Leupold 6x36 seems like just what I'd be looking for .  But once again, I had a VXII 3-9x40 that didn't do much for me.  When I swapped that scope for a Conquest, it was like Heaven itself was opened to me, & I heard the voices of angels singing!

So, it seems my problem is that I'm spoiled!  Having looked through some awfully good glass, I'm not sure I'd really be able to settle for less.

Why can't Zeiss make a 6x36????

FC
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 13:00
The Weaver 6X is a very good scope!  I believe it is made by Light Optical, who makes many other very good scopes for various manufacturers.  At least I know their top of the line variables are made by Light Optical.

My only issue with Weaver as a brand is the fact that the brand has changed ownership so many times.
Ted

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 13:07
 SORRY to hear about the bad experience with the Grand Slam scope. I've got two,one of which is a 4.75x40 model,and I have no qualms with them at all.  Both are Blount series scopes. I did hear that after Meade took over,quality dropped.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 13:41
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

I did hear that after Meade took over,quality dropped.

The Weaver brand is now owned by ATK (Alliant Techsystems), who also owns RCBS, Speer, Nitrex, Simmons, and a host of other shooting related brands.  ATK bought Weaver and Simmons from Meade, who at the time also owned Redfield (now owned by Leupold), who bought Weaver from Blount.  The Meade ownership was short-lived.  I believe they are in much better hands with ATK, but this is what I was referring to when I expressed my concern over the fact they've been bought and sold so many times.
Ted

Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 14:29
Originally posted by Folically Challenged Folically Challenged wrote:

Why can't Zeiss make a 6x36????

FC

A bit o' searching turned up this portion of a recent thread:

QUOTE=koshkin]
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Better PM Koshkin. He actually has the tools to be able to run such a test. (although it will likely be biased in favor of IOR)Cool

I resent that comment, by the way.

Between these scopes, a lot would depend on the intended use.

If you are on a budget:  Weaver K6 or Burris FFII 6x40

If you want the absolute best in low light for a rifle that is not a crazy kicker: S&B 6x42 with #4 or #9 reticles.

If you can not afford the S&B above, but want really good glass for low light performance: IOR Hunting 6x42 with #4 reticle.

If you need to shoot pretty far out (tactical application). : IOR Tactical 6x42 (has good knobs and MP-8 reticle).

If this going onto something with pretty serious kick: Leupold FX-3 (longest eye relief) or Sightron S2 Big Sky (almost as much eye relief).

If this is going on a hard kicking rifle and low light is a big priority: Leupold FX-3 with heavy Plex reticle.

If your rifle does not kick too much and you feel that you absolutely must have a Euro scope, but do not want to pay for one: Meopta Artemis 2000 6x42 with #4B reticle (pretty good in low light with a holdover reticle and a choke-syle rangefinder, but farily short eye relief).

If this is going on a super light-weight rifle and you want to keep the weight to an absolute minimum while maintaining good performance and eye-releif: Sightron S2 Big Sky or, if are willing to sacrifice some performance for light weight, Leupold FX-II 6x36

Eyerelief, from shortest to longest:
Meopta<Weaver<S&B<Burris<IOR<Sightron<Leupold FX-II<Leupold FX-3

Optical quality, from worst to best:
Weaver<Burris<Leupold FX-II<Meopta<Leupold FX-3<Sightron<IOR<S&B

ILya

[/QUOTE]

It seems from this discussion that I'd have to step-up mightily in price to do much better in optical quality from the scopes I already have.  If nothing else, it seems like I've already found the price/performance level I'm looking for.

I just got out the 2 rifles with the Vortex & the Conquest, removed the bolts, & laid them one atop the other.  Seeing as how both rifles are model 700's, it made things pretty easy.  In this comparison, the Conquest didn't look nearly as much bigger as I'd always thought it was.  I'm easily able to cycle the bolt on the Conquest's rifle, even with the big ocular bell., and I doubt I could tell the difference of ½ oz. more weight.  Looks-wise, they're very close.  Optically, the 2 are very close.  And, of course, their prices are very close.  

To choose between them would mean me putting a value on how much, or how often, I need to go beyond 4x.  On the bench, yes.  In the field, not so much.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 14:33
I think you answered your own question with just a little light reading.  LOL
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic