OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bore sighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bore sighting
    Posted: April/24/2009 at 10:52
Need some expert opinions on bore sighting,what is the best distance to do this, I've used 25 yards and 50 yards, with my current set up, Savage 12, 223 caliber and a 5-20x44 Nikon Monarch, the scope will appear dead on with bore at 50 yards however shooting on paper it impacts 14 inches low and 5 inches left. I fully understand that bore sighting will not produce a perfect results however it would seem closer then 14 inches.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 12:04
http://www.chuckhawks.com/bore_sight.htm
explains it as well as anything... BE SURE to not move the rifle.  After boresighting, I always start at 25 yards.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 12:17
I have been using a laser boresight that I bought a few years back.  I boresight at night and have places in my back yards that are 50 and 100 yards away.  I just boresight to one of those to places and my POI is usually withing 2 inches of my boresight.  I have done it with .22 LR, .223, .243, 7mm. .308, 45-70, .50 cal muzzleloader and it always works very well. 

I have had guns boresighted in gun shops using those boresighters with the big attachment with lines and stuff in them where you try and adjust the crosshairs to a given line of the boresighter and some of them were crazy off.  Laser boresight is the way to go.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 12:21
I agree with that, laser is definitely the way to go these days.  Much better than the other methods.  You only actually need 18-25 feet, 25 preferred for the lasers. I've a couple of times not had to make any adjustments (in zeroing) using the laser.

Edited by Kickboxer - April/24/2009 at 12:22
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 12:28
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

You only actually need 18-25 feet, 25 preferred for the lasers.

Thats very true as well.  I boresighted an AR in my house to a wall about 10 feet away.  I just compensated for the difference in bore to center scope height and I was almost right on when I went out to zero it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 12:37
Anyone have a suggestion on a laser boresight, fair quality, good price.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 12:44

hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 12:57

I keep it at 25 yards,any bolt action use a Tipton vise look down the bore and ten feet away put up a target look through the bore and see where you are on the target put a small sticker and look through the scope and make your adjustments.This method at 25 yards well put you on paper about 4 inches off bullseye.I've seen some guns that were boresighted at the store way off mark .

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 14:16
It is not an exact science, more an art form, do it more, and you'll get better at it.

I learned to bore sight looking down the bore at an object down range and can do that pretty well, but it takes time and effort (and a very well anchored gun.)  Lasers work pretty well, as do bore sighting tools with a shaft that goes into the barrel.  The nice thing about the "shank in the barrel" type is that once you zero, you can mount the bore siter and figure out where your real-world zero is and return to that spot later, if the scope ever needs to come off - I've done this a few times with a few rifles and had great success. 
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 14:34
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

I keep it at 25 yards,any bolt action use a Tipton vise look down the bore and ten feet away put up a target look through the bore and see where you are on the target put a small sticker and look through the scope and make your adjustments.This method at 25 yards well put you on paper about 4 inches off bullseye.I've seen some guns that were boresighted at the store way off mark .

Pretty much sums up my method too. I just put my rifle on a Harris bipod with a bag in the rear and go from there.
I've also "corrected" several gunshop bore sight jobs in like manner.  Wink
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 14:42
Yessuh,, Me too.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 14:45
Of course that way only works for the ole' bolt gun.  Wink

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 14:59
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Of course that way only works for the ole' bolt gun.  Wink

And many AR uppers......Evil Black Rifle
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 21:26
I have a laser bore sighter and I bore sight at about 20 yards in my basement and it works great. The old fashion way works for me also I use a 1" yellow dot and look thru the bore and adjust from there. always on paper either way....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 21:37
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2009 at 21:55
I just wave the magic wand over it and presto!  Cool of course you have to say the magic words......if you are not on within three shots I will take you off and chuck ya down range beoch!

Edited by rifle looney - April/24/2009 at 21:57
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic