OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vintage scope questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifesadrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage scope questions
    Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:17

I'm a new member and was hoping to get some advice about a scope on a rifle I recently bought from a friend. It's a pre64 win. mod.70 30/06. It has a Unertl Hawk 4X scope mounted in a Pachmayr Lo-swing mount. The scope is in great shape. I want to use the gun primarily for whitetails out to 200yds. My questions are......

1) Does anyone have any info. or opinions of this scope?
2) Is this scopes power adequit for this?
3) I would like to put a Bushnell Elite 4200 3X9X40 on this gun, could I still use the Pachmayr mount to keep the guns historic integrity?

I value your opinions and here are a couple of pics.

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:22
IMO. the scope is adequit for the task you speak of tough not the best, a 4200 will be like night and day. the mount most likely wont work due to the configuration and the turret position on the 4200 ,this being said don't worry about changing for it does not distract from the gun only the looks. and if you keep the old set up thats good enough should you want to sell or reinstall at a later date. I have the same gun and changed as well.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:29
Rifle Looney, You said you have the same rifle will he have to get it tapped if he uses a different mount or is this rifle tapped on top also. I did not think the rifle came tapped.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:32
My gun is a 1951 m.70 as for as I know they are factory tapped.
lifesadrag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifesadrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:33
I don't believe the rifle is tapped and the holes from the Lo-swing mount would have to be filled.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:33
 I'll trade you, as is. for a brand new Remington 700 in any caliber you want, with the 4200 already mounted in new rings...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifesadrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:35
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I'll trade you, as is. for a brand new Remington 700 in any caliber you want, with the 4200 already mounted in new rings...

Thanks but I think I'll suffer through this.Wink
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:36
Filling the holes is as easy as putting threaded plugs this is done all the time and it really should be tapped if I'm wrong I'm wrong my gun had an lyman arpature site on it with plugs in the holes, and the guy I got it from bought it brand new ?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:38
Originally posted by lifesadrag lifesadrag wrote:

Welcome to the OT.  Why is life a drag???  The alternative is not too appealing to me at this point in time.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:39

Dang!
...and they say there's one born every minute!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifesadrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:41
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Welcome to the OT.  Why is life a drag???  The alternative is not too appealing to me at this point in time.  

It's in reference to dragging a deer out of the woods.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifesadrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:42

Dang!
...and they say there's one born every minute!

That's how I got the rifle in the first place.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:42
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH...  Whew, I was worried about you for a minute there, dude.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:44
I looked in my Winchester history book and it tells everything except this, but it does not seem right it would not be tapped?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifesadrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:45
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH...  Whew, I was worried about you for a minute there, dude.

Thanks for the concern and the opinions.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:47
I'm sure John Barsness could shed some light on this wait till he sees the post!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifesadrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:49
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

I looked in my Winchester history book and it tells everything except this, but it does not seem right it would not be tapped?

I will check at the first chance I get, thanks.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:59
  OK. According to the Blue Book ALL pre -war M70's have only two holes in front. From 1946-1948 a M70 Transition model was introduced(had to do with the safety)and the reciever bridge may or may not be factory drilled. From 1946-1963 most are drilled  2 in front and 2 in back on the reciever(except early .300H+H and .375H+H). About all I can find.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifesadrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 21:06
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

OK. According to the Blue Book ALL pre -war M70's have only two holes in front. From 1946-1948 a M70 Transition model was introduced(had to do with the safety)and the reciever bridge may or may not be factory drilled. From 1946-1963 most are drilled  2 in front and 2 in back on the reciever(except early .300H+H and .375H+H). About all I can find.

Just checked....2 in front and 2 in back. Rifle mfg. 1948

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 21:23
   Excellent   WHEOOOOO!     thought I was loosin it? I have never seen a Winchester with no holes for scope mounts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic