OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

PRONGHORN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PRONGHORN
    Posted: April/22/2009 at 19:06
OK I will most likely get screwed this year on deer tag drawings so does any one have or know a place or vicinity I can get a non resident tag or land owner tag for Pronghorn? I know it's asking a lot but I'm going to get desperate since I live in Cali it's not the best place for hunting. one other problem it has to be affordable, since I know the drive will be long? please PM if anything thank you.......James

PS> as a bonus I happen to have a collectible firearm for the person who comes through with something that will work for me! as a gift.... no kidding.    Smile

Edited by rifle looney - April/22/2009 at 19:26
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 21:18
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

OK I will most likely get screwed this year on deer tag drawings so does any one have or know a place or vicinity I can get a non resident tag or land owner tag for Pronghorn? I know it's asking a lot but I'm going to get desperate since I live in Cali it's not the best place for hunting. one other problem it has to be affordable, since I know the drive will be long? please PM if anything thank you.......James

PS> as a bonus I happen to have a collectible firearm for the person who comes through with something that will work for me! as a gift.... no kidding.    Smile

???
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 21:21
Sorry, Mike I forgot about your little piece of heaven on the northern end!   Wink
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 21:46
Us public land guys don't have it so good! Sorry
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 21:47
Go North!!  Wink
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 21:49
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Go North!!  Wink

Canada?      LOL Big Grin  
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 21:51
Roll on Floor Laughing
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 22:17
Maybe we should just hit up our friend in Alaska if he would take us hunting. Maybe he could even break in our guns for us! 
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 03:19
I'm hitting a new pronghorn place this year as well. Would be a long drive for you though. You're welcome to come out, but it'll be a LONG haul.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 12:26
The deadline for applying for pronghorn in Montana is June 1, and if you apply along with somebody else as a "aprty" in one of the areas that give out lots of permits you stand an excellent chance of drawing. If one person in the party draws, then they all draw.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 13:49
Originally posted by Monster Monster wrote:

Maybe we should just hit up our friend in Alaska if he would take us hunting. Maybe he could even break in our guns for us! 
Roll on Floor Laughing
I loved his "Break" in video.

I live in the northeast and have never seen a pronghorn other than in a magazine.  I tried to convince a friend to go west for a pronghorn hunt.  But he would rather go somewhere to hunt whitetail.  Whitetail hunting sucks in our neck of the woods.  But I think having a pronghorn on the wall would be cool.  How do they taste?  And is hunting them anymore fun than other animals?
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 13:53
RL, where you live I'd maybe check out Arizona for Pronghorn. 
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 14:48

BillyWayne,

Pronghorn hunting is a blast. It's big, wide-open country and they're out there in the open all day long. You glass and find some and if you want the buck you make the big sneak, through sagebrish and couless, often ending up on your belly to get in range.

They taste great if you make sure th emeat is cooled down properly right away. My wife and I live on game meat and pronghorn's one of our favorites, so we hunt them every year (along with deer and other stuff, of course).
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 14:51
John, what's the average shot distance you've taken on pronghorn?
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 15:05
Not all that far. I figured it out from my hunting notes a few years ago and seem to remember it was around 250 yards. But for several years my wife and I hunted in some badlands where our average shot was around 130 yards, because you could sneak up on them so easily. Terrain makes a big difference.

Our longest shots have been 400 or a little more, but there have only been 3-4 of those--though two were on a couple of my biggest bucks. Some people get a thrill out of making the long shots, but we get our biggest thrills out of the sneak.

Last fall Eileen shot her pronghorn at 311 years and I shot mine at around 250. (Hers we got a laser reading on before the shot; mine was shot first, then paced off, because it took place quickly and the ground was too flat to get a laser reading.) That's fairly typical.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 15:09
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

Not all that far. I figured it out from my hunting notes a few years ago and seem to remember it was around 250 yards. But for several years my wife and I hunted in some badlands where our average shot was around 130 yards, because you could sneak up on them so easily. Terrain makes a big difference.

Our longest shots have been 400 or a little more, but there have only been 3-4 of those--though two were on a couple of my biggest bucks. Some people get a thrill out of making the long shots, but we get our biggest thrills out of the sneak.

Last fall Eileen shot her pronghorn at 311 years and I shot mine at around 250. (Hers we got a laser reading on before the shot; mine was shot first, then paced off, because it took place quickly and the ground was too flat to get a laser reading.) That's fairly typical.

John if she knows you gave her age out she might be a little mad, althought I am glad she is doing so well at 311 years..  way to go.  Just kidding

I would love to take a hunt for a pronghorn,maybe one day.

RL I sent you all you need to get your tags with.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 15:16
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

Thanks John!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 15:16
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I would love to take a hunt for a pronghorn,maybe one day.

Me too!! Big Smile
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 17:38
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

RL, where you live I'd maybe check out Arizona for Pronghorn. 

I have tried every thing is a preference point system, the easiest is New Mexico and Montana the latter having land owner tags  the deal is they are on a two year waiting list as far as I can gather? at least the ones available to non res.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 17:57
ouch!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic