OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why do we put ourselves through this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 03:37
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

I'm even worse with fishing rods and reels.  Embarrased
I have the same setup with fishing rods that I do with rifles. I have several, but keep going to the same one or two all the time. Of course I only have one G. Loomis GLX, and that seems to be what makes it's way to the boat. I have a lot of dust collectors though.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 05:30
Sometimes life is about owning things you want rather then owning things you need.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 06:01
I think age has a way of curing that for some of us.  I got where I just didn't have time (or didn't want to take time) to maintain too much stuff and simplified everything.  I have less rifles, scopes, binoculars, and lots of other thing than I did 10 years ago.  And it seems like I enjoy the ones I have more  Wink
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 07:18
Just gotta have what you want versus wanting what you already have ....

If we were all sensible...wouldn't life  be incredibly boring ....

At least we can say that we're all patriotic and trying to do our part to stimulate the economy
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 07:30
Already have more rifles and shotguns than I can possibly use but doesn't stop me lusting after more.

I believe you're correct John, a little looney, or a lot looney depending on the day. 
The liberals are probably correct when they say our brains are just wired wrong but I like it!
God save the Empire!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 07:51
   Howdy   Hi,my name is Earl and I'm a rifle looney.
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 07:59

I have hunted for 55 years and have never lost my zest for searching for or  tinkering with new or used guns and scopes. It allows me to imagine new hunting trips I probably will never take but the dreams sustain me. I have more guns and scopes than I could possibly ever use but I keep searching for that unique value that will place me somewhere in an adventure visible only to my mind's eye.  Guns and scopes are like onions in hushpuppies---you can never have too many! Just the babblings of an old man who loves to shoot guns.

BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 08:05
My uncle has over 60 rifles.  He says that they are for different applications.  Some of them he has not shot in years.  I cannot even get him to sell me one or two that I really like and he never uses.  He also has 8 boats that his is constantlty working on.  His back yard looks like a boat graveyard.  He built a giant barn to work on boats.  Some of them are old beautiful and valuable woodies.  Ask him why he has so many and he will tell you "different applications."  Somedays we go fishing in one boat, leave our spot to get another boat and head to a different spot.  I guess it is fun tinkering but now I do less tinkering and go with what I know works.  I drink one brand of coffee, smoke one type of cigar.  But buying rifles I always seem to think that I can work up the next one to be the most accurate.....for different applications.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 08:05
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Laugh
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 08:06
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Welcome to the group Earl. Excellent  My name is Chris and I'm a rifle looney too! Loco

Group what do we say to Earl?
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 09:05
HI Earl. 

My reason is two fold. 

1.  Have to have something to work on.  It don't mean that it will be today, tomorrow, or even the next day, but everything had a plan when it was purchased or modified.

2.  The memories.  Just had a great friend deployed yesterday for a 2nd tour in Iraq.  We had great times deer and pheasant hunting.  Those memories are in those guns.  The will be retired till he returns.  Just me I guess, but we all have our reasons.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 09:07
Hi Earl.  You're more of a man than me.......I'm still in denial!
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 09:07
When do go from a        Rifle Looney    to a     Rifle Retard?     Shocked
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 09:12

rl,maybe after ya have 10,000 rifles?

THANKS for the support guys!

Hey JG,face it and the truth will set ya free.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 09:25
Earl, you're not alone, call me if you need support for your addiction.
God save the Empire!
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 09:38
Mainly BECAUSE I too am LOONEY, but I like them. I am going to a gun consigment auction this weekend about 100 miles from here. They are advertising over 400 different type guns. Anyone can sell, or buy.......Having panick attack because I never know how much money to take or how much I can ACTUALLY AFFORD. I have 37 so far and the reloading stuff to go with them. I'm going PD hunting in South Dakota this year DO I need a new gun to take? or trust the old ones.....see the problem.......then a new scope of course.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 09:48
medic52 - DO NOT doubt yourself!

You definitely need another rifle and/or shotgun.  Sit down and carefully figure out how much money you think you need.  Then double it and add a few hundred - you should be close. 
God save the Empire!
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 10:15
Well, shoot, after looking at all the replies, and carefully analysing all the data, I must conclude we put ourselves through this because it is fun !
Terry Lamb
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 10:44
Reloader
God save the Empire!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 10:59
I just love rifles, and find satisfaction in using a variety of rifles as the mood strikes.  I appreciate well-designed, well-made mechanical contraptions, whether it be a rifle or a model airplane engine.  I have pretty rifles for times when I want to enjoy the eye candy of nicely figured walnut and I'm on an "easy" hunt, such as a leisurely walk to a deer stand/blind in nice weather.  I have more practical, utilitarian rifles with synthetic stocks and corrosion-resistant metal finishes for the tougher hunts, wet weather, and anytime when I'm more likely to put the rifle through hell and back during a hunt.   I have short rifles, long rifles, light rifles, heavy rifles, target rifles, varmint rifles, big game rifles, and rimfires.  This, in addition to my shotguns and pistols.  I love 'em all, and all have a purpose... or at least a perceived purpose I create in my mind to justify owning all of them and buying more.Wink

I seldom sell any of my guns, unless I either want something else so badly that I'm willing to part with a particular gun I rarely use, or I can't get a particular gun to shoot well and it has no other redeeming qualities sufficient to make me want to keep it.  Some of my rifles shoot extremely well.  Most are average shooters.  A few have been downright temperamental in terms of accuracy.  Most rifles I own I've been able to make shoot at least acceptably for their intended purpose through tinkering; some as the result of excessive tinkering.  If a rifle is going to require a great deal of work to make it shoot, it had better have some other very good atributes going for it like an incredible piece of wood or uniqueness, or I won't own it very long.

I don't intentionally neglect any of my guns from the standpoint of basic routine maintenance, even the utilitarian "tools" that are intended for harder use.  I view rust on my guns the same as betraying a friend.  Sure, I view guns as tools, but they are more than mere tools to me.  They are living, breathing journals of my life.  Some are childhood gifts from my father and have sentimental value way beyond their market values.  I still have the first rifle I bought with my own money, raised by selling chickens for a high school ag project.  Some guns remind me of great outdoor adventures I was fortunate to experience with good friends.  Some take me back to a bygone era where things were simpler and the word "rifle" meant blued steel and walnut and the smell of oil.  Some I just admire for their intrinsic beauty and craftsmanship.  Many of the most important decisions I've made in my life were made in the great outdoors while carrying a favorite rifle.

I'm a firm believer in the school of thought that one cannot have too many guns.  I put myself through it all because I love it!  Mark me down as a dedicated member of the "looney" club. 

Edited by RifleDude - April/22/2009 at 11:01
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic