OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why do we put ourselves through this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do we put ourselves through this?
    Posted: April/21/2009 at 22:18

If we have fooled with enough rifles, we eventually end up with several rifles that shoot very well and are very reliable. So why do we keep buying new rifles and end up dinking around with bedding and scopes and bedding etc?

Of course we want to know why.

Why is this one shooting better and the other didn't? But right now I am dinking with a pair of Savage 99's that aren't responding to all the stuff that 99's respond to. WHY NOT JUST KEEP THE RIFLES THAT WORK?

Or all we all just loony....
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 22:23
Because the wife should not have more sets of earrings than you have rifles in the safe.
Just don't let my wife know I said that.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 22:25
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 22:27
I don't know about you John, I can't speak for anyone else either...... But given your admission and the given admissions of others here......... I think we're all just a touch looney
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 22:29
OK, I'll admit it!!!  I'll second that.Just didn't want to verbalize it.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 22:48
Don't know what to say?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 22:53
No need.... Your handle says it for you. Excellent

Cyborg
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 22:55
I'm even worse with fishing rods and reels.  Embarrased
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 22:58
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Yeah and tackle too....... Yikes 7000 dollars worth of lures.

Cyborg
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 23:01
A lure..... DORK......huh!    Big Grin
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 23:03
Not nearly as bad as my brothers are though. My youngest could stock Bass Pro in a pinch.

Cyborg
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 23:21
John, this reminded me of a post I read at 24hcr where a poster was defending his favorite brand scope. He went on to say he's never had one fail him afield and he "currently" owns over 50 of them. Naturally, I had to ask how much "field duty" do each one of these 50 scopes see per year. Strangely, I never got a response.

Edited by Roy Finn - April/21/2009 at 23:23
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 23:46
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Yeah and tackle too....... Yikes 7000 dollars worth of lures.

Sponsorship helps.  Wink
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 23:56
It's funny that you would say that. My brother Robert and I went fishing two weeks ago, and there was a tournament going on. Had we been in it we would have won first place. We caught 20 lbs with the largest being a 8 lber. Everyone else was complaining that the fishing was terribly tough. The winning team caught 13 lbs with a 4 lber the largest. 5 fish limit. Back when we had the coin to do so we would fish those tourneys, usually placed in the top 5, just never could get any kind of deal going..... I guess we just stayed too local.

I guess that makes me fish looney too.

Cyborg
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 00:01
Mouth Taped Shut
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 00:03

It's funny that you would say that. My brother Robert and I went fishing two weeks ago, and there was a tournament going on. Had we been in it we would have won first place. We caught 20 lbs with the largest being a 8 lber. Everyone else was complaining that the fishing was terribly tough. The winning team caught 13 lbs with a 4 lber the largest. 5 fish limit. Back when we had the coin to do so we would fish those tourneys, usually placed in the top 5, just never could get any kind of deal going..... I guess we just stayed too local.

Me too.

I caught you.....LOL

Cyborg
varmintcaller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 00:12
Why Do We Put Ourselves Through This?.....So well have something to fondle and stroke in our old age.
Moon Labe
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 00:22

Me too.

I caught you.....LOL

You got a knack for that!!  Roll on Floor Laughing

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 01:27
Well a fella has to have something to shoot while the others are off having custom stuff done to them so I probably ought to go out and buy another one.  I have help here though because every time I get something set up really nice one of the boys decides that it would make a nice birthday or Christmas present for them.  It really does take a good deal of time and effort to really set up a rifle the way you want it then multiply that times the several calibers that one really should have and Oh My God...... there you are.

The old saying is beware of the man who only owns one rifle.....he probably knows how to use it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 03:32
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

WHY NOT JUST KEEP THE RIFLES THAT WORK?

Or all we all just loony....

When we bought the one that shot good, the fluted barrel wasn't an option. Then right after you buy the one that shoots good, they come out with a fluted barrel model that weighs 1.5 lb. less. You have to trade the good shooter in, and hope you get another one. Then you new good shooter starts suddenly shooting badly.............At least that's what happened to me.Cool Fortunately I still have several that shoot very well, and will not ever be for sale.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic