OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

break in tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: break in tips
    Posted: April/21/2009 at 17:47
  You just got a new custom rifle,this one is going to have to last awhile,how do you go about breaking it in? 
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 18:02
Shoot 1, clean, repeat 10 rounds.  Use 1 piece rod and bore guide.
Break in over.
Enjoy.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 18:02
Originally posted by 1984 1984 wrote:

You just got a new custom rifle,this one is going to have to last awhile,how do you go about breaking it in? 
............Some break their rifles in and some don`t. I happen to believe that it isn`t a bad idea although it is an inconvenience and more time consuming.

For the first string of 10 shots,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1 shot then clean with patches and solvent, 1 shot then clean with patches and solvent and so on for the first 10 rounds.

For the second string of 10 shots,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2 shots then clean with patches and solvent, 2 shots then clean with patches and solvent and so on up to and after the 10th round.

For the third string of 9 shots,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3 shots then clean, 3 shots then clean, 3 shots then clean.

You`re done!........... 
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 18:03
And use a bore guide.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 18:08
Another tried and true method................

Break-in 101
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 18:21
    Laugh Above    Roll on Floor Laughing  UNREAL!!!!!!!  (but I LUV it)
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 18:59
Clean....shoot clean shoot clean shoot ....ten times slowly do not heat up the barrel.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 19:40

This will result in disagreements, but I have run a bunch of tests on break-in and pretty much don't bother anymore. And I have never yet found a scientific test of the 1-shot-clean technique.

In recent years I have just started shooting a lot of hand-lapped custom barrels and never had one that wouldn't shoot extremely well yet. I just clean them down to bare metal after every range session, whether it's 10 or 30 shots, and they all end up shooting very well.

David Tubb pretty much feels the same way. He does suggest using his Final Finish kit to begin with, to smooth out the only machining or lapping marks that are 90 degrees to the lapping strokes, those in the throat of the chamber. I have used this technique and it really jump-starts the process, instead of the tedious 1-shot-clean technique.

From the research I have done, the 1-shot-clean technique (the "Sinclair" technique) was started by benchresters who wanted to break in their barrels BEFORE they started competing in a match. But why go through that with a hunting rifle? Just work up the loads, cleaning after range sesssion, and by the time the best load or two is worked up the barrel will be broken in .

Just another perspective, from some experience with hand-lapped barrels on a bunch of custom rifles. And this opinion is also backed up by more than one custom rifle-maker and barrel-maker.

Edited by John Barsness - April/21/2009 at 19:42
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 19:49
 I don't believe it's been all that long ago since I first heard of breaking in a bbl.  Anyone have an idea who started the concept and when? 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 19:55

Okay.

I made it all up as a fun prank, a couple years ago.

I'm sorry.

dls56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dls56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 20:12
I'm a break-in convert. I've witnessed by feel and performance what a good break-in procedure and some bore polish can do for an off the rack rifle. Conversely I don't think it's necessary with a custom hand lapped barrel.
The break-in is a form of lapping.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 20:22
  NICE try RONK.  But I was meaning a bit more than "a couple years ago". LOL

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 20:29
Big Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 20:40
Glad some found the humor in the non-traditional method of break-in. Like John B. stated, I have not seen any accuracy improvement or ease of clean-up with match grade barrels. I like Hart custom tubes and they do not recommend a break-in process and it is stated as such on their website as well. In the end it sure can't hurt for factory tubes and if you have the time, have at it.
1984 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 20:42
Dose the Otis kit  eliminate  the need for a bore guide?
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 20:50
Just post it to me and i will  "break it in"   for you.
I'm classic shag nasty type.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 20:52
Originally posted by 1984 1984 wrote:

Dose the Otis kit  eliminate  the need for a bore guide?

you do not need a bore guide for the otis system!.........Hell I don't use one at all! Wink

Edited by rifle looney - April/21/2009 at 20:53
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 20:53
When researching the current project I questioned all the top line barrel builders I spoke with about break in. They all had a method for those who insisted on doing a break in, but they all stated that break in really wasn't nessessary. If the rifle didn't shoot well right off it was generally due to some other factor. Just as John B. said, there is no solid evidence that a break in will make much difference. But to each his own.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
1984 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 21:19
Moly paste an 80's thing?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 21:38
I've been told to shoot some molly coated ones throug it first and I did have one barrel that was molly treated when the gun was "accurized".  ( they waive a magic wand over it or something)

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic