OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

3-12 Scope Choice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3-12 Scope Choice
    Posted: April/21/2009 at 05:30
Greetings....

I've been lurking for some time and with my new rifle arriving, I find I need a new scope to go with it.  I liked the 2009 scope rating list, but it is only a guide as I can't balance the various bits against eash other.

First - The Rifle & it's use
The rifle is a Rem700 in 7mm SAUM.  It is fitted into a MAK tubegun kit and is intended for use at longish range on pigs in wheatfields.Yippee This will be during the day, on dusk and under a spotlight at night.  Typical engagement ranges will be out to 500m.

Second - The Scope
I have looked hard at alot of scopes - over the web.  Having thought hard about what I want, I think a 3-12 scope with a BDC reticle will work best for my use.  Turrets are great on the range, but painful in the field.  Higher magnification just is not necessary IMHO.  My other hunting rifles are fitted with a who's who of 6x42/44/50 type scopes and one 3-9 on the 300H&H.

So my question is......
With the 3-12x44BDC Nikon Monarch as a benchmark (not actually available locally so I've never seen one)?  Is the Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 that much better (particularly since you can't get RapidZ)?  How does the Sightron 3-12x44HHR compare?  Where does the Meopta 3-12x50#4B fit in?  I have always liked Kahles scopes, but their 4-12x56MultiZer0 is kinda pricey.  What else have I missed?

[begin rant]
Finally, please don't direct me to the bargains on the SampleList.  I bought from SWFA back in 2002, but they won't sell to me anymoreLoco.  Turns out that Australian's can't be trusted by SWFA.  Our economy is in better shape, our postal system works, our banks are some of the largest in the world (and aren't broken), our troops fight right NOW in Iraq and Afghanistan (and WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Somalia, Iraq 1), we are a tier 1 ally, and we have a free trade agreement.  I'll unfortunately be buying from someone else - don't suggest who, that would violate forum policy (reasonably so too).
[end rant]
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 06:14
adamjp,

SWFA has government contracts and those contracts say they can't sell to you.  It's the US government you should be mad at. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

adamjp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 06:42
Actually I was told by an SWFA employee it was because of the considerable hassle with foreign credit cards.  I can believe that, the small value of foreign orders would probably not offset the financial and organisational hassle, risk and debt.  There are many niche players making money selling to certain overseas countries, SWFA has made a business decision which I don't like, but can understand.

The whole US Goverment thing, I can't respect because from what I can find it is an excuse, not a reason.  If you check the US State Dept. export lists you will find that Australia, along with Canada and the UK have different export controls to much of the remainder of the world.  But hey - don't belive me, check with SWFA http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4537

But please - back to the scope.  You all have access to scopes that I cannot get due to our relatively small market, but I can buy them from your much larger market.  I seek your input into my choice because you can do something I cannot - you can look through or use these scopes, often side by side.
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 08:07
I have had very good results, in a similar application, using a Bushnell Elite 6500 in 2.5X16X42MM. Although, we rarely get a chance to take shots at 550 yds, I have engaged Boar at 330 yds several times. The optics are clear with good contrast and the POI holds well through all levels of magnification. I have learned to really appreciate the hydrophobic Rainguard coating in the wet climate we hunt in. You can pick up the scope for less than $550 USD. A really great value!
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 10:08
Sorry that SWFA has a strict policy.Check out the Bushnell Elite series an excellent choice.Rainguard has helped in wet hunting conditions.The Firefly reticle is another option also,I like the thick reticle which helps in low light.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 10:12
i thought the austrailian govt took all the guns away from it citizens?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
257WM_CDL-SF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257WM_CDL-SF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 10:59
id take a good look at the Sightron Big Sky
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 11:18

257WM_CDL-SF View Drop Down hows your scope in low light?

257WM_CDL-SF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257WM_CDL-SF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 11:25
it is good I can see the center dot about a hour after sunset
BoDaggitt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoDaggitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 11:26
Uh oh, he comes the Sightron plug(s)
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 14:41
Bow
Originally posted by BoDaggitt BoDaggitt wrote:

Uh oh, he comes the Sightron plug(s)
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 18:57
ExcellentBushnell
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
adamjp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 20:58
Australians can legally own any rifle that is not self-loading (so BAR, Rem7600, Ruger 10/22 and Mini14 are out).  Some states deny the use of rifles like the Remington 7615 on the grounds that it uses a military (M16) magazine which is a prohibited item.
Under special permission a person with genuine reason can own a self-loading rifle.
Silencers are not legal.
Pump and self-loading shotguns are not permitted, except under special permission.
Handguns are for security industry or target use ONLY.  Handguns are very controlled and must have a barrel longer than a minimum length.  Calibre (power) controls also exist.
Automatic weapons have been banned for a very long time, and only non-functional versions may be owned under special permission by accredited collectors.

Back to the Scopes - I have not yet looked through a 6500, but with many reports on this site suggesting that it has glass quality equivalent to the 4200 series, it's not really a consideration when you think that the 6.5 range will reduce performance at twilight.  Besides which, Bushnell don't make a 3-12.  I'll consider it (happily) if someone can say that twilight performance is good.

I must confess to really liking the Meopta line, particularly with the 4B reticle.  My Meopta 6x42 is good, but the short eye-relief and annoying lens flare at night under a light has me concerned (perhaps the positioning of the objective so close to the front of the tube does this?).

The Sightron Big Sky interests me as others on this forum have said good things about them, but I can't look at one.  Their Australia distributor is not pushing the brand very hard and I've yet to see one in a gunshop.

How does the 3-12 Big Sky compare to the 3-12 Nikon?
COLOelkman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLOelkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 21:44
I bought a 3x12 Nikon Monarch last year and did compare it to the Zeiss Conquest.  My eyes said get the Zeiss but my wallet spoke louder.  Not dissappointed in the Nikon but I thought the Zeiss was far and away sharper.  From reading a lot of posts, I think Zeiss is a better scope so you have to decide what's more important for what you're needing it for. I'm now looking again for a scope for another gun and will likely get the Zeiss just to be different if nothing else.
adamjp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 21:51
Thanks that's the kind of comparitive input I'm looking for.

I know that comparing a $500 scope with a $1200 scope is not fair.  But the difference between the low and high end is simply saving longer and keeping the 'interim' scope on longer.

BTW the Interim scope is a Tasco Sniper scope made in the 1990's for UK MoD contract.  6x44 with the Nato reticle and a 26mm tube.  Clear, bright, good.  I think they morphed into the Tasco SS, which sort of become the Super Sniper series.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 21:59
PM inbound, where in Ozzyland are you?
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
adamjp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 00:21
Just outside the national capital - Canberra.

Approximately 35d 23' S, 149d 12' E.  At least within the grid square.

Access to deer, pigs, goats, foxes and rabbits within 40 minutes drive from home.  1000m range is 25 minutes away.

Bloody kangaroos within walking distance of home.  The wife's car hit one 4 weeks back, 3 weeks in the panel shop and $12k worth of damage to a 5mth old car (thankyou to insurance) - she'd have kicked it to death if it wasn't killed in the acccident.  Roos are road dumber than deer.
adamjp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 01:42
I just got a price from our local distributor of Sightron scopes.....the 3-12x42HHR is $1184 AUD plus postage to my door.Shocked

US prices are $840 AUD locally delivered to my door for exactly the same scope.
adamjp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 01:47
Originally posted by adamjp adamjp wrote:

I just got a price from our local distributor of Sightron scopes.....the 3-12x42HHR is $1184 AUD plus postage to my door.Shocked

US prices are $840 AUD locally delivered to my door for exactly the same scope.
I'm happy and keen to support my local industry, but there is profit and PROFIT.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2009 at 20:36
I spent almost 6 months down in your part of the pond. Started out in Brisbane and worked our way around to Perth, with stops in New Castle, Port Kimbla, Sydney and Adelaide. Not quite in that order but it's been a while.  Great place to visit, Great people, but your tax system is bonkers mate!!!   LOL    
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic