OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope ring Height

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jauntydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope ring Height
    Posted: April/20/2009 at 19:25
I mounted a VX-L scope on a Browning 270 wsm mountain Ti and am having probllems adjusting the verticle . Ithe rifle is shooting low and i can not adjust the scope enoughto correct it.  I used Medium rings , do i have to go to low rings?
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 19:30
 No, that won't help.
 Your problem is one of ANGLE, not height per se.
jauntydan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jauntydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 20:29
do you have a recommended fix
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 21:34
 Well, first I reckon we'd best begin by having you describe what you have on it for rings and bases right now, if you would. 
jauntydan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jauntydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 21:56
I have QRW/PRW 2 piece bases and PRW 30mm. The scope is a VX-L 30mm scope mounted on a Browning Mountain Ti 270 WSM rifle. 
jauntydan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jauntydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 21:56
PRW 30mm rings
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 22:11

Dang! I just used my first set of PRWs a few weeks ago, and am impressed with the quality. I really like them.

Ok, we can be fairly sure that the rings or bases are not the source of your trouble.
 Although you should double-check for the correct bases for that rifle, by the numbers stamped on them.

Assuming your scope is good,and that were moving your turrets in the correct direction while boresighting, we are left with an out-of-spec receiver on your rifle or a barrel that is not threaded true to the receiver, or both.

Don't panic just yet, this is more common than you can imagine, and there are relatively inexpensive and effective corrections for that.
 The easiest is to switch to Burris Signature Rings, which have eccentric inserts which allow you to adjust the tube for better alignment. I think they run less than fifty bucks in 30mm.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 22:19
http://www.swfa.com/pc-6514-458-burris-signature-zee-30mm-rings.aspx
 Ok 54 bucks and change.
 You can use the same bases you have on the rifle, though.
jauntydan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jauntydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 22:20
I was out to the range today and was able to adjust the scope horizonally but the verticle, I could only adjust to a point 2 inches low. At that point there was no more adjustment available. I will look into the Burris rings and bases and see if that helps. I have also sent an email to Leupold for their input also. I thank you for your suggestion. I will keep you posted as to the way things turn out.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 22:32
  Did the scope seem to track correctly until you ran out of turret threads?

Once again, just to further clarify: if the correct Leupold QRW/PRW bases for that rifle model are on the rifle, they are completly compatible with Burris Signature ZEE rings, so you can use the bases you have on the rifle now; you'll just have to replace the rings.
varmintcaller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 00:54
Friend of mine had the same problem, he put a shim under the rear base and the problem went away.
Moon Labe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic