OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for FNAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copper372 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for FNAR
    Posted: April/20/2009 at 13:53
Any suggestions for a scope for my FNAR?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 17:50
What kind of shooting will you do with it? How much money are you looking to spend?

ILya
copper372 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copper372 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 19:15

It will be qualified with and used for some short-medium range tactical applications. I also see a future for it in my deer blind on occasion.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 19:58

aimpoint  2moa  probably the ones that mount with two 30mm rings on a riser or with ultra high 30mm rings.

If you can afford the cost a Trijicon ACOG.
If your budget is severely limited a Bushnell Trophy 
731424M Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $144.95
More Info... Buy Now

731642M Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                               Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 04:40
Short to medium range means different things for different people.  I will assume that your shooting will be within 500yards.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  Since you also expect the scope to double as a hunting scope, a variable with a top end of somewhere between 6x and 10x is probably a good way to go.

Since you also seem to want short range, an easily visible reticle that is quick to pick up in a hurry is a good idea as well.

You did not specify how much money you are willing to spend, but I will assume that you want to keep it under $800.

An optimal choice, I think, would be Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x42 with either post-and-trinalge or MilDot reticle.  THe magnification range is about right fro most things and 3x is low enough to be used with reasonable speed for anything this side of clearing buildings in Iraq (not a typical modus operandi for FNAR any way).

Another good choice would be Burris XTR 1.5-6x40. The magnificaiton range is very versatile and the reticle is set up for 7.62x51.

For a little less money, you can get the excellent Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38.  It is not quite as "tacti-cool", but it is a versatile and optically excellent scope.

ILya
copper372 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copper372 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2009 at 19:55

Thanks for the input.

crockette View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crockette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 22:00
I am looking for a scope for the same rifle. My application though would more be to have it set up as a long range rifle with some options for shorter distances and possibly a laser for emergency close. I have been looking at everything and ruling out nothing except scopes with a tube adjusted parallax, I just don't like them all that much. I am trying to find reviews on some of the laser ranging scopes. I am down to a Burris Signature, Elite 4200/6500 or Monarch. I am no expert on scopes by any means, Does anyone have a reason to stay away from one of these scopes?
copper372 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copper372 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2009 at 22:35
I have a 4200. Great scope.
6531 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6531 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 15:32
For the money, how is the Weaver Classic V 1-3 x 20 scope on an FNAR?
‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason
6531 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6531 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 15:34
I am apprehensive about placing a scope which requires batteries, since they may go out at the most inconvenient time...

— George Mason
crockette View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crockette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 16:28

Are you looking for a short range application for your FN? This scope would not fit the bill if you are setting it up for anything longer range. With a 1MOA or better right out of the box I am looking for mine to be a long range rifle.

6531 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6531 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 19:20
Actually, I am looking at Bushnell's 3200 series scopes for my longer range (tight budget, or I'd go with Schmidt Bender...) hunting. 
I would like to have a scope for closer range when it comes to personal defense, though.  Something that isn't too large or bulky and has quick target-acquisition. 

— George Mason
crockette View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crockette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 19:56
I'm certainly no expert but I would either go with a laser or an Eotech type scope... although an Eotech is expensive and takes batteries I am sure there are other scope either holographic or red dot that may be a little less expensive. The lasers work great for close up stuff. I just bought a Sig Stoplite STL-300J Light Laser Grip Combo for my AR which is actually pretty cool and mounts right on your rail. They also make the same light that is not part of a grip. Again your with the batteries though... Sorry I'm not much help. If you look around on some of these other posts you will see some of the other better informed members making recommendations of this type of need.
6531 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6531 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 22:41
I will admit I am unfamiliar with laser sights on rifles, but if they're anything like the ones on pistols, from my experience, I was far from impressed.  Truth be told, I would love to mount iron sights on my FNAR, but am unsure as to the process involved...

— George Mason
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 22:51
Actually, I purchased one of these for my FNAR since there are no irons.  Using it on a pistol now.... but works great on a rifle where irons just arn't practical.

Fits right on the outer forarm picatiny rail.  Works great on the FNAR if you had something close and your scope just won't work well......

LaserLyte Sub Compact V2 FSR-00V2-140

It was only $99.
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 22:57
Originally posted by 6531 6531 wrote:

For the money, how is the Weaver Classic V 1-3 x 20 scope on an FNAR?
For a.223 its fine for a  .308 a 1-3 is simply not enough scope a fixed 6x42 Leupold VX3 would be a good tough scope. A fixed 10x Super Sniper would be a good .308 scope for long range due to its exceptionally good target knobs. A fixed 4x would be a better choice than a 1-3 unless you have decided to limit shooting to under 200 yds.  A aimpoint 2moa red dot   or a 1-3 is really at its best under 100 and workable out to 200.  A 4x is workable at relatively close range even at 25yds and good out to about 300 to 400. A 6x is better out past 50 yds and does well even out past 600 yds with the right reticle.  Figure a minimum of 1 power for each hundred yards you want to shoot.  A 10x scope looking at a target at 1000 yds is like open sights at 100 yds.  A nice 2.5-10 or 3-9 in a good quality scope like a Bushnell 4200 is a fine choice but the toughest most durable scope will be a fixed power like a 4x or 6x. 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
crockette View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crockette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 23:07
Hmmm... I love my lasers on my handguns. The laser is deadly accurate and stable if it is a good one. I am not sure of your level of marksmanship but using the laser it really, really takes a steady hand when you squeeze off the round. Other than that you should get really good groups. Same should apply to a rifle..
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 23:08
Originally posted by 6531 6531 wrote:

I will admit I am unfamiliar with laser sights on rifles, but if they're anything like the ones on pistols, from my experience, I was far from impressed.  Truth be told, I would love to mount iron sights on my FNAR, but am unsure as to the process involved...
They really were not designed to mount open sights on. There are some target type sights that might could be adapted but you would probably have to find a reall good gunsmith to come up with a good solution.  NECG (New England Custom Gun) makes some express sights and barrel band front sights which could be used so it is not impossible. I think express sights with three blades would make lots of sense.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 23:11
The red lasers are quite limited in range in daylight and the green ones are able to be seen better in daylight and a better choice for a rifle.  The best rifle lasers I have seen were made by Beamshot.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Skyraider04 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyraider04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 21:07
Hello, I am trying to find a good scope for my new FNAR.  I am trying to keep it under $800.  I would like to set it up for dual purpose use, hunting/ competition shooting between 100-600 yard range.  The shepherd V2 looks very interesting, is anyone familiar with this scope? Can someone recommend some mounts as well? 
1.     Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
...Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
...One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic