OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

0 or 20 moa cant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmc7980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 0 or 20 moa cant
    Posted: April/18/2009 at 11:47
My scope only has 34 MOA of elevation travel and I'm not sure what kind of base I need.  I was told that if I used a 20 MOA base I would not be able to get a 100 yard zero.  Any help would be great.
Chris
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 13:03
Have you tries shooting the rifle/scope @ 100 yards?  With 34 MOA you should be able to get a 100 yards zero unless something is seriously out-of-wack.  If you meant 1000 yards, then that may be true depending on caliber, bullet weight, BC and velocity.

If you need more MOA, in idition to bases, Burris makes a set of scope rings that has oof-set inserts that work quite well.

HTH,

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 13:18

If everything mounts up nice and straight, you will only have half of your total elevation (34 /2=17) to correct for the 20 moa cant. So you will have only 17 minutes of scope travel to offset 20 minutes of built-in base forward cant/tilt/slope/incline. 

I think there is a very good possibility that you will indeed run out of 'Down' clicks before you get a 100 yard zero.
 You won't know for certain until you try it though, because rifle receivers vary a great deal, and barrels don't always line up with receivers, etc, etc...
usmc7980 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmc7980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 13:27
I haven't shot it yet because I don't have the base.  I have Seekins rings and was going to use one of their bases.  I didn't buy the base because they only have the 20 MOA version.  I won't be shooting past about 500-600 yards max with this rifle and that will be maybe once every couple years.  99% of the time I will be around 100 to 400 yards. 
usmc7980 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmc7980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 13:28
I'm just going o get a 0 MOA base, I don't really need the 20 MOA on this rig
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 14:39
 I think you are going to be playing the odds well by getting the 0 moa base, for your shooting distances.
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 14:53
I have used a 20 MOA Badger rail on my same .308 for approximately 20 different scopes. From US Optics to Barska ALL have allowed me to have a 100 yd zero. 

My feeling is this....get the 20 MOA. 
The rail stays on the rifle for life, but scopes come and go. It's there if you need it, but not a hindrance if you don't.

VD6

Edited by Voodoo6 - April/18/2009 at 14:53
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 15:04
 I dunno Voodoo, 34 moa isn't very much adjustment compared to the 100- plus many scopes have, and even if it does make it, he will probably be right at the edge of the best optical qualities, which are generally near the center of the scope.
 (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

What kind of scope is it, and what rifle are you hooking it up to anyway, USMC7980? 
 Edited to add:
 Not 'many' scopes have 100 moa, but you get my point....

Edited by RONK - April/18/2009 at 15:06
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 15:35
5-20x44mm Nikon Monarch shows 34 MOA of adjustment......Is that your scope, Marine?  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
usmc7980 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmc7980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 15:39
Nope I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56, funny thing about that scope, it is the only Conquest with a 30mm tube but it has one of the lowest adjustment ranges.  I don't know why, you would think with the 30mm tube I would have at least 60-80 MOA elevation travel, thats why I got that model.  So I open it up and look at the book and it says 34 MOA square adjustment and then I call Zeiss and they say that means 17 up 17 down 17 right and 17 left. 
usmc7980 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmc7980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 15:53
Oh and RONK it is going on a Remmy 700 .308 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 17:46
Originally posted by usmc7980 usmc7980 wrote:

Nope I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56, funny thing about that scope, it is the only Conquest with a 30mm tube but it has one of the lowest adjustment ranges.  I don't know why, you would think with the 30mm tube I would have at least 60-80 MOA elevation travel, thats why I got that model.   

Sheeesh....That is weird.     
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
usmc7980 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmc7980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 18:15
The scope itself will be fine for hunting in Alabama but I don't think I will be doing any long range work with it.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 19:35
 I think it is somewhat a factor of how much optical performance that can be built into a unit of a given size. For instance, some of the Bushnell scopes are very long; and thus are able to boast a greater depth of field than similar counterpart variable scopes of similar magnification ranges.
 Your scope probably has a rather wide field of view at the expense of a bit of adjustability, for example.
 Koshkin or one of the other real optics experts here can probably address this better than I can, but my point is that nothing in optics comes without compromising something else.
 Magnification, Depth of Field, Field of View and Eye Relief/Eye Box size all seem to be linked to each other within a package of any given size, and in your case, adjustment range was perhaps sacrificed for some other aspect of total performance. Again, I'm speculating a bit here. 
 Getting back to your original question, after considering Voodoo's experience, you may NOT have problems with a 20 moa base, if he never had a problem with 20 different scopes on a similar rifle.
 Edited to add:
 Also-dial your scope to the ends of the adjustment range and count clicks top to bottom. It is pretty common for a scope to have more or less adjustment than advertised or specified by the manufacturer.  (Don't get gorilla-handed and twist the turret off though!)

Edited by RONK - April/18/2009 at 20:05
usmc7980 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmc7980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 20:22
I did the whole knob turn thing and there is 127 elevation and 123 windage.  Manual says ther should be 120 so I'm not getting that much extra
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 21:55
 Yeah, so it's even less than 34 minutes (136 clicks).
usmc7980 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmc7980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 21:58
I don't know how they are figuring things but the book says 
"Conquest 3-12x56 = 34 inches/100 yards = 120 clicks"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 22:14

That doesn't make sense, mathematically. (Shrugs)

usmc7980 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmc7980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 22:27
I can't figure it out I'm going to call Zeiss Monday and see what they say
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 09:10
 They will probably tell you that the design specs of the scope call for 34 minutes of adjustment, but that manufacturing tolerances allow a few thousandths of an inch extra tube wall thickness or something like that, which is cutting your adjustments a bit.
 It really shouldn't be a problem if you get a straight base and don't plan on shooting beyond 800 yards.
 If you do, you may want to swap for something that has a lot more clicks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic