OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Elite 4200 scope - which one

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Elite 4200 scope - which one
    Posted: April/17/2009 at 17:55
Do to some special circumstances, I have a choice between a 4200 3-9x40 multiplex or a 4200 2.5-10x40 Firefly for approximately the same money.  Both are brand new.  Originally I was getting the 3-9 Multiplex, but now I can get the 2.5-10 Firefly if I want, for the same excellent price I was originally going to pay for the 3-9.  Normally the 2.5-10 Firefly is about $100 more.  Besides the slight weight increase (3 oz) and increased length (.9"), are there any negatives or any issues about the 2.5-10 Firefly model that would make the 3-9 the better deal?  Which is considered the better scope?  The scope is going on a Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06, as a secondary rifle for deer hunting in clearcuts & woods here in the rainy Pacific Northwest, and shots out to 400 yds max.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 18:17
 Your question drives me crazy, because I have been dying to run across a Firefly model to try out, and have never seen one!
 I posted a question here about them a long time ago and got little response.
 I seem to remember something about the illumination being of shorter duration than touted by the manufacturer, and also that the reticle was somewhat heavier than the ones on non-firefly models. That may not be a negative, but a plus, depending on your intended usage.
 The only other issue I can think of is whether Firefly is a wire or an etched-glass reticle.
 I have a hunch it is wire, but not sure.

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 19:37
I have one and I am pretty sure it is a wire reticle that is coated with a luminecent coating like the glow in the dark hands on a wrist watch that glow after they absorb light. The outer crosshairs are very very thick then drop down to very thick and then drop down to the center medium thin crosshairs. I like mine for the brush because it really stands out jet black and is really easy to see in low light without ever using the glow in the dark feature which I never have used. The standard plex in the 3-9x40 sometimes tends to fade or turn a silverish bronze color in certain lighting angles that tend to make the reticle look almost transparent or hard to see at times. Still it is very servicable and in legal light is all you need. One thing about the firefly is that the crosshairs stay really black and I actually think they stay darker and just as black as the etched reticle in the Zeiss Conquest which I used to have. Either buy both and return the one you dont like or buy one and if you dont like it send it in to Bushnell for the one year free replacement/refund they offer. When I first got mine I didnt like it but after using it I grew to like it.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 19:41
I've owned both. 2.5-10x40 hands down. The UNLIT firefly is great in low light.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 19:48
2.5 is better than 3

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 20:52
2.5-10x40 is a better scope: more range and wider field of view.  It is a bit heavier though.

As far as the reticles go, for shooting groups Multi-X is better: it is a bit thinner.  For low light shooting, Firefly is better even without the glow-in-the-dark feature.  It is very easy to see in questionable lighting.

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 21:01
I would go the FireFly, 2.5-10 for hunting all the way. I own 6 4200's and two of them are FF reticles. I've never used (or needed to use) the illumination feature for hunting cause the reticle is bold enough that it hasn't been necessary. The 2.5-10 will give you more mounting latitude on a long action rifle so that's a plus as well. BTW, the reticle is wire, not etched glass.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 22:00
I have one of the 3x9x50 3200 mounted on a Ruger #1 25-06 and so far I like it, but I too think that the 2.5x10 would be a good choice......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
blacktails View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 17:10
Well, all of this is really good to hear, since I was leaning towards the 2.5-10 FF because of the great pricing.  Just wanted your opinions to see if there was any downside to it.  Looks like that's the way I'm going to go.  Thanks for the help.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 07:31
I have both 4200's and like the firefly because of the thicker reticles.Can't go wrong with the 4200. 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 09:46
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

I have both 4200's and like the firefly because of the thicker reticles.Can't go wrong with the 4200. 

Care to share your thoughts on your Fireflys illumination qualities in low light?
Easy to charge?, How long does it stay lit well enough to use, etc.
Mike G View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 21:36
Yes I'd like to see others input on their firefly reticle.  Took mine out of the gun safe tonite shined a small maglite in the scope for 10 minutes and all I had was some discountious glowing along the center of the horizontal cross hair that quickly disappeared.

Now I know the damn thing glowed after the initial shooting session sighting it in, but I'd say the dark trip in the morning to the hunting grounds, even if you charge it, is not going to give you anything to crow about. 

Appears at least my scope needs sunlight to charge it, not moonlite or flashlight.

Anyone have better luck than I?

hunterco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2009 at 22:02
do you want to shoot 50% of the time? firefly gives you major advantages in lowlight/darkness or moonlight. 2.5-10 is superior I have read to 3-9. I read an article somewhere that 3-9x caught on as a cheap 3x magnification in the 70's and its been a hit ever since, but the 2.5-10 has much more to offer % wise in optical advantage.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 02:39
I have a Firefly reticle 1.5-6x36 and have never used the glowing reticle while charged. I have charged it and can say that you dont want to charge it too long because it will be too bright and make it hard to use.   I would use it like this...I would charge it for about 10 seconds with a good bright light right before I left my truck and headed to my stand on foot while it is still pretty dark. The reticle will just appear as a dull lime green color that is neither distracting or invisible in low light. It just needs to be lit enough to see it not light up your whole scope! Once I got to the stand I would only charge it for another 10 seconds and wait for daylight. This reticle is very black and stands out better than a standard wire reticle because the luminecent coating on the wire reticle absorbs the reflection and makes it very black. I know the eye relief on these scopes is a little short, but I dont shoot magnums and I think in low light a shorter eye relief helps because your eye is closer to the eyepiece and your eye isnt affected by the surrounding light as much as it is on a long eye relief scope.
Mike G View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2009 at 04:11
Well I fugured out that it depends on which end of the scope you charge with the light.  duh
red state View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red state Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2009 at 18:40

I have used the fire fly reticle several times on an Elite 3200.  Here are few random thoughts:

As others have said, it is good solid reticle that is easy to see.  It is definitely not a fine, precise reticle.

When following the instructions and using a flashlight from the back of the scope to charge the reticle, the illumination does not last very long.  Maybe 15 minutes tops.

It is a good reticle, just don't get it strictly because you want the illumination.  The Burris LRS or Trijicon Accupoints may be better in that regard.

CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 11:41
The firefly is great as a thick, heavy reticle.  I would not use it for illumination though.  It is too easy to overdo it.  It gets very bright for a short period of time and will wash out anything in low light.  I have played with illuminated reticles a bit and have come to the conclusion that you are better off with a good scope and a medium to fairly thick reticle without illumination.
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 11:49
Originally posted by hunterco hunterco wrote:

do you want to shoot 50% of the time? firefly gives you major advantages in lowlight/darkness or moonlight. 2.5-10 is superior I have read to 3-9. I read an article somewhere that 3-9x caught on as a cheap 3x magnification in the 70's and its been a hit ever since, but the 2.5-10 has much more to offer % wise in optical advantage.

Hunterco, a lot of folks make decisions on this site based on peoples experiences.  It would be better if you gave opinions based on actual experience instead of postulations and articles that you read in magazines or the internet.
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 11:52
Originally posted by CWPINST CWPINST wrote:

Originally posted by hunterco hunterco wrote:

Hunterco, a lot of folks make decisions on this site based on peoples experiences.  It would be better if you gave opinions based on actual experience instead of postulations and articles that you read in magazines or the internet.

Agreed, how the heck does .5x lower and 1x higher give you a huge advantage anyway.  Nothing wrong at all with the 4200 3-9x.  Especially for the price difference between the two.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
hunterco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2009 at 12:16

Thanks for all the attitude - most people read..before they buy things.

I have owned both 3-9 and 2.5-10 and prefer the increased % in magnification and wider field of view at lower power. It is a significant difference - about 25%.

Edited by hunterco - September/10/2009 at 12:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic