OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is it Surprising???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it Surprising???
    Posted: April/17/2009 at 17:25
With this "depression" thing in the news all the time everybody got parnoid and started stockpiling ammo and arms. (We all know that this is a good precaution to an upcoming possibly hazardous event). Truth be told, non-perishable food and guns and ammo are going to be more valuable than gold if this sh*t hits the fan. (9mm will be selling like drugs on a street corner). People are buying popular round calibers by the pallet for investment purposes. That's speculative trading there boys...and when it all goes down, we'll be sittin pretty. By that time, money will be no good so bartering and trading will be big. I can see it now...."Rifle Dude" will be sitting on his driveway having a rifle sale, and a guy pulls up in a Ferrari and trades you straight out for a 30-.06. Ha Ha!! When I heard it on national news I knew it was for real.
You gotta carry it.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 17:31

Inflation is right around the corner.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 18:18
Yeh!  I just might have a sh*t load of firearms for sale ....NOT cheap? looks like the ........ is getting his way boys!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 18:52
Originally posted by drd34 drd34 wrote:

I can see it now...."Rifle Dude" will be sitting on his driveway having a rifle sale, and a guy pulls up in a Ferrari and trades you straight out for a 30-.06. Ha Ha!! When I heard it on national news I knew it was for real.

Hmmm... I'd like to experience that kind of leverage; though I tend to hang onto my guns for the most part, at least the nicer pieces in my collection.  I become attached to my guns to the point that I'm not willing to sell them.

But, straight up trade for a Ferrari?...
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 19:32
It could come to that....
You gotta carry it.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 20:38
I think once the dealers sell out and make a killing "O" will jerk the rug out from under us and make them illegal to possess unless you jump through more hoops than a circus clown.  It's really hard to tell which way this thing is going to go but I think it will get worse before it gets better. 

Best idea - plant a garden.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 09:19

inflation in gun stuff started last year about feb, with increases petro cost associated with lead transportation, and never came down with the cost of raw materials fell, in the summer then politics got involved, gov. won't have to worry about guns only cartels will be able to afford them.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 09:44
actually ammo prices started going up a few years ago when I worked at Dick's.... something about China becoming industrialized and using more metals.  The surge in gas prices just compounded the problem and then this last election pushed it up again. 

I went thru a phase about 10 yrs ago where I was stocking up on ammo.  Then a few years back I thought to myself, why do I have all this ammo.  So I sold/traded some off and didn't replace some of the stuff I shot up.  Now, I remember why I was stocking up.  Damn, it sucks getting old and losing your mind!!Loco
take em!
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 12:27
If you're old enough to remember the early 1980's economy, before Reagan got things  pointed the right direction most of America was engaged in barter economy. 
 Foods, goods and services were on a "for trade" basis, and in the Tulsa area where I was at the time, that included medical, dental and legal services.
We're probably headed right back there now.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 12:50
 I don't think that's really a bad thing, either. Barter systems kind of keep an honest real-world value to goods and services, probably more so than (taxable) paper money, especially paper money that is no longer backed by gold.
 Those are just my uneducated observations;  the last thing I could ever be accused of is having a real good grasp of economics....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic