OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 700 .308 -Scope?-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blakebr1228 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington 700 .308 -Scope?-
    Posted: April/17/2009 at 16:10
Hey guys, just discovered the site. Looks like most are experts here and know what they are talking about or just good at pretending. Haha

Anyway here is my question. I recently purchased a Remington 700 .308 Tactical bolt-action blah blah blah. Bought a Harris 1A2 Model LM for it now its time to decide what scope to mount on my newest toy. Of course if I had the funds for such a sight it would be the Leupold Mark 4 however the 1.2k is not an option. Long story short I have around a $300 cap of the optics I so choose to purchase. The guy at the gun shop I bought my rifle turned me on to the Millet TRS-1 but after reading some disgruntled reviews about it I am at a crossroad. The scope seemed fine at first glance but I would like other opinions. Please any imput would be appericated. Thanks in advance.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 16:25
SWFA SS 10x is the way to go.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-4304-2760-swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-riflescope.aspx  It is the best fixed power "tactical" scope you can buy for under $1000
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ReyRey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReyRey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 16:32
HOW DOES THE 16x MATCH UP ? I GOT THE SAME ISSUE, BUT A .300WM, AND ABOUT 600 TO SPEND. LOOKING AT THE NIKON MONARCH 6 - 24X, OR THE SS 20X.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 16:36
I would take the variable power on that. You may not want 20X for all conditions
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
82ndVet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82ndVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 17:06
Who actually makes the SS scopes? Where are they made?

ThanksAmerican Flag
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 17:59
It's made for SWFA but I think Bushnell makes the scope. Really I have no clue, I only know two things. 1. I have tested the scope myself and other than there being no variable out there (fixed power only) It will perform to it's hype. 2. Chris Farris stands 100% behind the scope, if you have a problem with one he'll handle it. You can take that like Moses got it on the tablets. 

Edited by Steelbenz - April/17/2009 at 17:59
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 18:20
The Super Sniper is Hyped up.
 It also lives up to that Hype.
 Exceptional scope.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 18:42
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

SWFA SS 10x is the way to go.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-4304-2760-swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-riflescope.aspx  It is the best fixed power "tactical" scope you can buy for under $1000

Yeah, sounds like a broken record around here but........

Welcome to Optics Talk and good luck with your SS.  Wink
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
82ndVet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82ndVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 19:00
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

It's made for SWFA but I think Bushnell makes the scope. Really I have no clue, I only know two things. 1. I have tested the scope myself and other than there being no variable out there (fixed power only) It will perform to it's hype. 2. Chris Farris stands 100% behind the scope, if you have a problem with one he'll handle it. You can take that like Moses got it on the tablets. 

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I read that other thread where the guy had an older version with some black spots on the reticule, and Chris took care of it I guess. I'm thinking about trying one.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 19:55
Why stop with just one. Coffee

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 20:31
To each his own, but I couldn't go with fixed on a 308. Take a look at these on the sample list. I'm sure you would like either one.

Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200

423944M, Matte finish, plex retilce, 1" tube, rainguard coatings, fast focus eye piece, ring marks

$199.95

Bushnell 5-15x40 Elite 3200

325156M, Matte finish, fire fly reticle, 1" tube, adjustable objective, fast focus eye piece, close to new condition

$259.95

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
blakebr1228 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blakebr1228 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 12:51
awesome input guy. thanks a bunch. so the Millet TRS-1 is dookie? is this confirmed? i have taken a liking to the SWFA SS 10x but reading reviews and such about it? so this is the way to go?
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 13:06
If you're going to be shooting distances beyond 600 yards I'd also check how much internal adjustment a scope has.

HTH,
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 13:07
If it's an LTR or PSS, eventually you'll want to put something more versatile on it. So I'd go with a scope that has good resale value. I'm sure an SS or either of the two Sgt. D recommended would be good choices. Personally, I'd prefer the 10X SS with mil-dot reticle over the fire fly reticle unless you're going to stay under 300 yards.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 19:47
If you go fixed, stay with the 10x. 

edited to add; - for more versatility than a 16x or a 20x. Still rather specialized for the longer distance work, though...

Edited by RONK - April/18/2009 at 19:49
Oculus Capitalis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oculus Capitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 22:33
Leupold Mark 4 -- You bought a $1000 rifle, you should put a comparable scope on it. Stop drinking beer, eating at Burger King. Serious shooting is not cheap. How serious are you going to get?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have a Rem. 700 Police, Leupold Mark 4, base/rings, Alumina hood, lens covers, and just dropped in a Jewel trigger. It's running about $3K right now. But I just had a birthday, and I'm not getting any younger.

If you wanna date the super-models, you can't dress 'em up at Wal Mart.

(On the other hand, I could be full of buffalo bisquits.) :D

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 23:17
I bought a $1000 rifle too and shot a lot of deer, antelope and elk with a $269 Leupold 4X. Now I have a scope that cost more than the rifle. It's not like the rifle is going to wear out if he shoots it with a lesser scope for a year or two. Given the right choice, he can resell it for at least half of that $300 and put the proceeds into something better. Meanwhile, he can shoot and learn what he likes and doesn't like before dumping a load of dough into high-priced optics.
Oculus Capitalis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oculus Capitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 23:43
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I bought a $1000 rifle too and shot a lot of deer, antelope and elk with a $269 Leupold 4X. Now I have a scope that cost more than the rifle. It's not like the rifle is going to wear out if he shoots it with a lesser scope for a year or two. Given the right choice, he can resell it for at least half of that $300 and put the proceeds into something better. Meanwhile, he can shoot and learn what he likes and doesn't like before dumping a load of dough into high-priced optics.

Yeah, I can see your point entirely. Besides which, you can always put whatever you settle for in optics on some other rifle. But  he's  got  the "Rem. 700 Tactical, blah, blah,  blah . . . "  I assume it's the Rem. 700 Police -- which is pretty much the M24 used by the Army,  the M40 in the Marines.

Lately, the military is using the Leupold Mark 4 . . . what can I say? Yeah, it's a lot of money. But my point of view is that I'm not getting any younger, and these days (because I'm not a kid any more) cash flow and expense has ceased to be an issue.

You could always decide to get into trap shooting . . . Loco

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 01:05
Originally posted by Oculus Capitalis Oculus Capitalis wrote:

Besides which, you can always put whatever you settle for in optics on some other rifle.

Well, that's true too. And I'm sorry...didn't mean to jump on you for recommending the Mark 4. I just meant that a shooter can get a lot of experience out of a fixed scope, be it a  4X or 10X and then decide if it's worth it to move up.
blakebr1228 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blakebr1228 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 02:06
I know the Mark4 and its capabilities. I spent 6 years in the army and am very familiar with the m24 system. If you would read my post I have a budget set for the time being. I think I have decided on the Bushnell 5-15x40 Elite 3200.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic