OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Savage Precision Carbine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Savage Precision Carbine?
    Posted: April/16/2009 at 23:05

Savage Precision Carbine in 308 win from their LE cataloge.  It's light for a tactical rifle, 7 lbs and I want to keep the weight down so I can use it for hunting.   I'm looking for an adjustable scope with max 10x magnification, mil dot reticle but I don't need the target or tactical turrets.  Think of it as a tactical style hunting rifle.  What scope should I put on this rifle? 

Edited by smitty - April/16/2009 at 23:06
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 23:08
How much are you looking at budget wise?
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 23:11
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 23:24
Under $500.  10x max and 40 or 42mm objective is what I'm looking for.

My top choice so far is the Nikon 2.5-10x42 Monarch with mil dots.

I have the Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Tactical on another rifle and I'm thinking about moving it to the new Savage but I don't like this scope very much.  I find the eye relief not very forgiving.

Edited by smitty - April/16/2009 at 23:29
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 22:08
http://www.swfa.com/pc-1277-185-bushnell-25-10x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx I am going to add this one to the mix for you to look at......I also agree with the NIKON another good scope.........
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 23:54

I'd take that one over the Nikon but they don't have it with ballistic plex or mil-dot reticle. 

I guess I'm going with the Nikon.

Thanks,
Smitty
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 07:09
You might want to check and see if the over sized bolt handle on that rifle will clear the rather large ocular housing on the new Monarch before you buy, Smitty.

"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 23:58
Originally posted by Voodoo6 Voodoo6 wrote:

You might want to check and see if the over sized bolt handle on that rifle will clear the rather large ocular housing on the new Monarch before you buy, Smitty.

Ahh, didn't think of that. 

Rifle is at the shop for the 10 day wait and the scope with Warne 1 piece tactical base and low rings on the way.  I hope it works!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 00:47
If you insist on a Mil-Dot or similar, your options are somewhat limited.

There is the Monarch 2.5-10x42 you are looking at.

There are a couple of Burris/Pentax scopes in the 3-10x40 configuration that have the BallisticPlex (if all you need is holdover).

Similarly, if holdover is all you need Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9x42 with HHR reticle is a good way to go.

If you can stretch your budget a bit (admittedly a fair bit), you can try to get your hands on Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with Mil-Dot.  That would probably an optimal choice for you in everything except for price: the scope is trim and light, has decent glass and a Mil-Dot reticle with fiber-optic illumination.

The only scope, other than the Monarch that fits all of your criteria, that I can think of, is Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-12x42 with Mil-Dot.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 11:13

There is a Sightron S1 3-9 with mil dot and one with a bdc reticle. If you are thinking of using the dots for hold over and any bdc reticle would work ---  I'm thinking you may not realize that the bdc and mil dot will only work that way at the maximum power of the scope so I recommend this:

LEU66820 Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope                                                                                            Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $409.95
More Info...

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
outlook View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 12:20
Leupold 3-9x33 ultra light or 2.5-8x36. Both are light and mount low.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8574-135-leupold-3-9x33-vx-ii-ultralight-riflescope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-14281-2736-leupold-25-8x36-vx-3-riflescope.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic