OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best choice in $1,200 range.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best choice in $1,200 range.
    Posted: April/15/2009 at 21:11
This is going on a 6.5/.284 on a Rem 700 custom.  Scopes in this price range are mostly uncharted territory for me.....so I needs me some help!
The rifle will be used on targets out to 1,000 yds and make an occasional trip to the varmint/deer honey hole. 
I have no immediate plans for actual competition (the rifle is more ready than I am) so a scope in the super-upper mag ranges is not needed.
The best variable I can get for this amount of $$ in a 16X to 20X-ish scope with target turrets for doping w/e is what I want.

Thanks,
Huff

p.s. I should have my new SS stuck on my Tikka soon.  As promised, I'll post pics when I get back from vacation in a few weeks.

Edited by huff143 - April/15/2009 at 21:13
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 22:25
Wow - sounds like fun!
take em!
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 23:27

Hey, RC.  I KNOW you play with scopes in this range....and much higher.  Any input?  Anyone?

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 23:39
I use a Burris Black Diamond 4-16 with custom turrets for my long range shooting, but for 1200 you can do better that the BD I am sure.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 23:44
For the glass, the features, and the reliability, the price point for said scope. I would recommend this one. There are naturally others as well. You could also look at Leupold VXIII 30 mm series scopes and the reticles and features that are available there. The glass in the Leupold won't be as nice as the IOR, but it will be a dependable and very serviceable scope.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 08:06
    Here's three I can recommend:
-Sightron 6-24X50 LR
-Leupold 6.5-20X50 VX3 (30 mm tube)
-Nightforce 5.5-22X50 NSX

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 08:15

Nightforce BR 12-42x.  I know where there's one for $1150.

Leupold 8.5-25x50 would work well too. 

I don't have any experience with the big SIII sighton but they sound promising.

You'll be wanting a 30mm scope for 1000 yd work because of increased elevation range.  NF and Leupold have excellent adjustment ranges.  Not sure on the Sightron.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 09:57
Thanks to all for the input.  I've never looked through a Nightforce but I've heard many good things about them.  The IOR that Cyborg mentioned sounds pretty promising too.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 10:47
I think you are on the right track 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/17/2009 at 01:00

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 10:52
Downside to the Trijicon 5-20 is it only has 50 MOA of total elevation.  Don't know what they were thinking when they did that.  They should have at least built in 70 MOA.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 11:21
   If you're wanting more top end magnification that you initially suggested, my Nightforce suggestion will be a BR series rather than the NSX. The 8-32 is a great piece of gear. Sightron also offers their LR SIII in a 8-32 with a .250 dot and 1/4' w/e adjustments if that magnification range is where you end up.

Nightforce used to offer the 5.5-22X56 in a 'BR' series (which was what all Nightforce scopes were, pre-NSX series) and a good used one of those would be excellent as well.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 11:52
I wouldn't go with more than 5.5X on the lower end if you're going to shoot deer in leafy Missouri. The NF BR scopes have 1/8 MOA adjustments, which is good for LR target or varmint shooting. But that might be tedious for short range adjustments. I'd consider either the NXS 5.5-22X50 or the IOR 4-14x50.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 16:02
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I'd consider either the NXS 5.5-22X50 or the IOR 4-14x50.

My thoughts exactly... in this price range; except I might pick the 3.5-15X50 NXS instead.  I have that very IOR w/ 2nd focal MP8, and I like it a lot.  I also have 2 NF NXS's, though not the 5.5-22X50.  Mine are the 3.5-15X50 and 8-32X56 NXS's, and they are great for my purposes (long range varmint and target work).
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 16:30
You are in a price range that offers quite a few good options, but there are a couple of things you need to settle on before you make your final decision:
1) what magnification do you need/want on the low end of the range?
2) how much adjustment range do you need?

If 6x on the low end is acceptable, I would look at the new Sightron S3 6-24x50 as one of the better bang-for-the-buck scopes out there.

If you are really keen on a large and easy to us knob, then IOR 4-14x50 with the new large knob is probably the best way to go.  It does not have as much high end magnification, but optical quality is exceptionally nice and that new large knob is very good.

In the same magnification range, you can also get Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50

If you want more magnification at the top end without sacrificing low end magnification, perhaps one of the Bushnell Elite 6500 scopes is the way to go.  Both 2.5-16x50 and 4.5-30x50 will work fine, except the 4.5-30x has a bit less adjustment range (50MOA, I think).

If you are comfortable with a bit less adjustment range, Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 is yet another good option.

ILya
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 16:55
In that price area there are some nice Zeiss and Swaro scopes on the sample list.
Duce Smile
Duce
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 17:02
I agree with Koshkin (on al but the Sightron, and there, only because I have not used and therefore cannot endorse.)

I like Nightforce, a 3-15 would do quite well for what you want.
I also like the IOR - mostly for the large knob and glass quality - but have had a few issues.  When spinning up to a 1,000 yard shot, the large-format knob is a great thing, very hard to get lost - and a zero stop on a Nightforce will cost much more.

Personally, I have more confidence in NF internals than I do in IOR - but IOR is servicable and their glass is very nice for the pricerange.

I have been impressed with my Trijicon and can say I would, were I in need of such a scope, look at the 5-20 Trijicon.  But, again, it is unproven; you might get the greatest scope you've ever owned, and you might not.

At the end of the day:
If you get the Nightforce, I doubt you will regret it, ever.
If you get the IOR, the price will be better, the glass will be better, and you will probably never have a problem, but...
If you get the Trijicon, it might be great, it might not.

The safe bet is Nightforce, but I too would hesitate simply because SWFA doesn't sell them - and Chris has always been more than great about Customer Service.

At the top of my recommendation would be IOR or Trijicon (limited enthusiasm for Trijicon, at least till I play with one.)  Conquest wouldn't be bad, but I like the IOR and NF more.

Another option (slightly more $$) would be a Swaro AH in 4-16 - no target knobs, ballistic reticle, all sweet and creamy goodness!

10033 Swarovski 4-16x50 Professional Hunter 57227, Matte finish, Ballistic reticle, 30mm tube, adjustable objective, fast focus eye piece, like new condition, demo model $1,995.00 $1,599.95

9869 Swarovski 6-18x50 American 52045, Matte finish, plex reticle, 1" tube, adjustable objective (50meters-infinity), fast focus eye piece, 100% new in box dealer demo. $1,250.00 $999.95
I am now a huge Swaro fan, great glass, great reticle, every day, and twice on Sunday!

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - April/16/2009 at 17:02
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 17:05
And yes, it is that nice!

At $999, it's a steal on the sample list.  One hesitation would be the no target knobs, but I I'd make do.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 17:13

This is very helpful stuff.  At this point, I'm kind of leaning toward IOR or Nightforce.  IOR has the sentimental lead because SWFA sells them.  But...I haven't heard much about their repeatability.  This is a biggie. 

Can anyone speak for the tracking of IOR scopes?

The Swaros have always captured my attention.  However, I haven't found one with target knobs that are even close to my price range.

I've had plenty of Sightron and Leupold scopes and had great luck with both.  But, since this is my first venture in the $1000+ market I'd like to try a brand I've never had; i.e. Swaro, Zeiss, IOR, NF, etc.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 17:15
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

And yes, it is that nice!

At $999, it's a steal on the sample list.  One hesitation would be the no target knobs, but I I'd make do.

What are the knobs like on those?  I've never seen one without the caps.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 17:17
Originally posted by huff143 huff143 wrote:

This is very helpful stuff.  At this point, I'm kind of leaning toward IOR or Nightforce.  IOR has the sentimental lead because SWFA sells them.  But...I haven't heard much about their repeatability.  This is a biggie. 

Can anyone speak for the tracking of IOR scopes?

The Swaros have always captured my attention.  However, I haven't found one with target knobs that are even close to my price range.

I've had plenty of Sightron and Leupold scopes and had great luck with both.  But, since this is my first venture in the $1000+ market I'd like to try a brand I've never had; i.e. Swaro, Zeiss, IOR, NF, etc.

I am pretty confident in the tracking of IORs.  They are very repeatable.  A couple of IORs have not had a good track record on heavy kickers (with 35mm 3-18x42 getting some publicity for that), but 4-14x50 with 30mm tube is pretty bulletproof.  As far as tracking goes, my IORs have been as good as anything else out there.

Swaros are very nice scopes, but if you need to use the knobs a lot, you really need a target knob.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic