OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Quality Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 08:58
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

I still have a Balfor (4x fixed) from around 1990 that has been on so many hard-kicking rifles I can't remember them all.  

I bought one of these scopes twenty years ago based on one of your articles. I compared it with the Zeiss 4x that was available at the time. It was pretty close, except for price.
My Balfor has seen calibers from 30.06 up to .375H&H and has held up great.
My two Nikon Monarchs are Philippine made and are working fine, so far. One is on a .260 that get's "thrown" around a lot. The other was on a 45-70 and will be moving to a 7mag.
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 23:14
Purchased a Nikon Monarch about 4 months back it's been in for service twice and I certainly did not feel confident or very good cooperation  with their service department I won't purchase another.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 04:08
What was the problem, oldguy?
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 09:15
Quote(What was the problem, oldguy? )quote

Would not adjust, while glass was very clear,adjustments were erratic to say the least,
total moa adjustment only 32 on these, I can understand a lemon sneaking through
however just not  good vibes from customer service.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 16:50
It may just be me but when I have a scope change POI after traveling it is usually the scope mounts that have moved slightly instead of the internal adjustment on the scope itself. I do mount my own scopes and I use an inch pounds torque wrench and torque to spects but the back of a suburban can be a rough ride on country roads. I take my tool kit with me and set up and check mount alignment if the POI is off. Just my observation and experience most of the time when I have that problem.
Duce   Smile
Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 18:59
Oldguy, what happened, or didn't happen with Nikon CS?
Nikon customer service has had its problems over the years for sure, but Rumor Control has reported improvement of late.
Not so?

Welcome to 0ptics Talk, Sir.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 19:35
Duce,

The POI shifts we experienced with Nikons were with Talley mounts installed according to the directions with torque drivers, on very reliable syn-stocked rifles. Some were the lightweight Talleys and some were steel. The POI change with my wife's rifle was over a foot, and the ones with the others were several inches.

I travel a lot with rifles in road vehicles, airplanes (both commercial and small, including float planes), and even in small boats. It is easy to tell when the scope goes sproing, and in fact I have traveled to Africa, northern Canada, New Zealand and other far destinations with rifles that were dissassembled, either because they were take-downs or I took them out of their stocks. (I prefer to carry rifles in take-down cases when doing this, because it is so convenient.) When I get where I am going it sometimes (but not always) takes 1 or at most 2 shots to settle the reassembled rifle into the same zero it had here, at least 90% of the time--IF the scope and mounts are good. If the rifle shoots 12-15 inches off after a 250-mile road trip over paved highways, then something is wrong with the scope, because I have yet to trace the problem to mounts.

When tracing the problem I replace the scope with another (I always bring a back-up, or back-up rifle) that has proven itself before. In almost every instance the rifle has gone back to shooting well.

In once instance last year the mounting of the scope was the problem. This was because the scope had been mounted by a custom rifle maker who (we discovered) over-torqued the screws on the rings of a custom rifle he built for my wife. We discovered this when the rifle started going nuts.

My wife replaced the scope herself, with a backup I brought along, and torqued the screws correctly. The rifle shot well for the rest of the trip. When we got back to the U.S. we sent the "defective" scope back to the manufacturer, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. We put it back on the same rifle (correctly) and it has worked fine ever since.

I refuse to accept travel in any sort of vehicle as an excuse for a scope going out of zero, because I have traveled too far and too long with too many scopes without it happening.

A horse is another matter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 09:43
I "tried" to destroy a Buckmaster on a 300 RUM and couldn't.
I beat, smacked, knocked, and abused that scope "knowing" it was a piece of crap and it never even shifted POI.
Leupold standard rings to boot.
I had a Schmidt und Bender waiting in the wings to greedily replace the cheap Nikon.
The BM was traded for some reloading supplies and even now is still in service on a self proclaimed "meat hunters" .270.

Fast forward to today....Several Nikons used by me and friends with nary a complaint or an issue.
(Gulp) Even the dreaded Philo-peen Nikers have been 100 percent good to go.

None of the above post were written to dispute JB or others problem, just my experience.
Nikon CS??? Wouldn't know about it.
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 07:22
Philo-peen??.......Say What
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
jlf4i View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlf4i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 17:00
Hello, I'm new here and don't have a lot of scope expirence. But But i have an older model nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 40mm AO. it adjusted by turning the front end of the tube. Any way the problem is when you adjust the objective, the POI shifts to the right. Example is sight in for 100yd. and adjust and shoot at 300yd. the POI is 4-5 inches to the right. The problem gets worse the farther the distance you adjust for. Is this common or just a bad scope?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 18:18
Is the scope plumb with the rifle? If the scope is slanted to one side or the other this will show up at distance. Helps to have a level bubble attached to keep the scope plumb when shootong at long range. This is a very common error. A cross wind of only 4 mph will give drift of 4.07" at 300 yds on a 30-06 with 150 gr bullet. There are a lot of factors that effect the bullet path when shooting longer ranges.

Edited by 3_tens - April/18/2009 at 18:25
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
jlf4i View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlf4i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 16:16
I have had the scope checked by a gunsmith that said it is on plumb. I thought hard about the wind effect before posting and ruled that out b/c in very clam conditions it still hits ~4" right.  And if i leave the objective set at 100 yd. where it was originally sighted in for and shoot 300 yd. POI is dead on.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 16:27
   Bad scope   Bad scope!!!!   Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 18:07
Originally posted by jlf4i jlf4i wrote:

I have had the scope checked by a gunsmith that said it is on plumb. I thought hard about the wind effect before posting and ruled that out b/c in very clam conditions it still hits ~4" right.  And if i leave the objective set at 100 yd. where it was originally sighted in for and shoot 300 yd. POI is dead on.

Sounds like the scopes wonky to me. I'd send it back to Nikon.

Welcome to Optics Talk.
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 20:43
I know nothing of the Monarchs, but many years ago when  Nikon had only "Nikons," I bought a 4x from a catalog store, now out of business, when it went PC and stopped handling such goods.  It has been on a number of rifles, bounced around in the PU, etc., and it is still bright and holds POI. (It is now on a 50 cal muzzleloader.)  It remains a great scope and was used on two deer this year.  Nikon CS, however, is another issue.  I asked them about some binos I traded for at a gun show and they never even acknowledged my query.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic