OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Quality Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Quality Control
    Posted: April/14/2009 at 12:51
Is it my luck,Thumbs Down This past month I counted three Nikon scopes fail, 2 Monarch 1 Buckmaster .All these incidents occurred with Phillopino made scopes.I noticed a numerous amount of scopes for sale on the Sample list that are refurbs.Is anyone else noticing this happen?.   
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 12:52
ive been using them for almost 10 years and havent had a failure yet, two have been on 6lb 300wsm's at one point or another. and one now sits on a .264 win mag and another sits on a 6.5 rem mag. cheaptrick i believe had one on a .300rum and had no trouble. luck of the draw man luck of the draw.

the reason there are so many on the sample list is because swfa buys them up as refurbs and sells them again, not because people are in a mass ditching of nikon mode.

Edited by pyro6999 - April/14/2009 at 12:54
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 12:58
I have a Japanese Nikon Monarch no problems ever.Just these three blew a seal,I had taken these on a hunting trip, might be the cabin pressure?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 13:02
you took them on a plane is what your saying??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 13:03
Yes airborne they were.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 13:05
who knows with the airlines, all bets are off when you fly, i think chris said he had troubles with a swaro scope a few years back after an airplane trip, but his lost zero, i dont know if it was acutally broken though.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 13:10
Stiring The Pot

Horse Poop

Strange how this comes up after a thread about Sightron.....Roll Eyes
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 13:11

My wife and I have had a couple of Phillipines-made Monarchs go whacky. Can't ever remember having a problem with one of the Japanese ones.

A friend went on a hunt a couple years ago on Texas. He had new Monarchs on both his rifles, and zeroed them at home on his own range. He drove 250 miles on an Interstate highway with both rifles in steel cases, and when he got to the ranch he was hunting both rifles needed to be zeroed again.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 13:25
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Stiring The Pot

Horse Poop

If you read the statement...I have no PROBLEM with Nikon... Ironic how the Japanese Nikon I own work fine.They might be made in the same factory as the Sightron's!!!  
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 13:38
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

If you read the statement...I have no PROBLEM with Nikon... Ironic how the Japanese Nikon I own work fine.They might be made in the same factory as the Sightron's!!!  
I did read it. I also fully understood your motive.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 14:01

Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

I did read it. I also fully understood your motive.LocoCencored
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 16:44

Cyborg!! You got that right!!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 17:08
Me thinkth the Lady doth protest too much.

Stiring The Pot

Horse Poop

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 17:09
CYBORG & DSHUSKER think this was an elaborate scheme to knock Nikon!Mad
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

My wife and I have had a couple of Phillipines-made Monarchs go whacky. Can't ever remember having a problem with one of the Japanese ones.

A friend went on a hunt a couple years ago on Texas. He had new Monarchs on both his rifles, and zeroed them at home on his own range. He drove 250 miles on an Interstate highway with both rifles in steel cases, and when he got to the ranch he was hunting both rifles needed to be zeroed again.

Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 17:17
No I think it is an amateurish attempt to stir up a pot that doesn't need stirring. You need to keep track of all the misstatements, wild claims, and backtracking you have done the past several months. You seem to have this on-going need to reassure yourself that your purchase of a Big Sky wasn't a mistake. It is a good scope. Let it rest.  There are plenty of good scopes out there. Amen.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 17:42
Originally posted by Dshusker Dshusker wrote:

No I think it is an amateurish attempt to stir up a pot that doesn't need stirring. You need to keep track of all the misstatements, wild claims, and backtracking you have done the past several months. You seem to have this on-going need to reassure yourself that your purchase of a Big Sky wasn't a mistake. It is a good scope. Let it rest.  There are plenty of good scopes out there. Amen.

ExcellentExcellentExcellent
Excellent
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 17:58
Originally posted by Dshusker Dshusker wrote:

Well-stated, Dhusker!

It gets really old very quickly.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 18:29
+1
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 18:31
Mr Barsness thank you for your honest response.Excellent
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 18:44
I've got a couple of factory rejects from the nikon monarch line which i've acquired for my friends and despite being rejects, they hold well and the owners so far have no complain by it. However, i must admit that two of them complained about shift in poi. After analyzing tough, it was because they zeroed their rigs under 50 meters and they were not paying attention to eye placement and not following thru with their hold with their make shift bench setup. When they shoot from the bench, they hit the target dead on, but when they shoot from the field, it hits precisely at a different POI from their zero. I guess what i'm trying to say that sometimes when casual or amature shooters complain about change in POI after zeroing their rigs, it's because of such little things as improper/inconsistent shooting position, eye placement, or hold in the field as compared to the bench. Big Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic