OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TEXAS GOV. BACK RESOLUTION AFFIRMING SOVEREIGNTY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

TEXAS GOV. BACK RESOLUTION AFFIRMING SOVEREIGNTY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TEXAS GOV. BACK RESOLUTION AFFIRMING SOVEREIGNTY
    Posted: April/14/2009 at 09:44
http://governor.state.tx.us/news/press-release/12227/

This topic was discussed here a few weeks ago. Here's an update.

Tue Apr 14 2009 08:44:54 ET

AUSTIN Gov. Rick Perry joined state Rep. Brandon Creighton and sponsors of House Concurrent Resolution (HCR) 50 in support of states’ rights under the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

"I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our state," Gov. Perry said. "That is why I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country to reaffirm the states’ rights affirmed by the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I believe that returning to the letter and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and its essential 10th Amendment will free our state from undue regulations, and ultimately strengthen our Union."

Perry continued: "Millions of Texans are tired of Washington, DC trying to come down here to tell us how to run Texas."

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 18:27
Thunbs Up

...but in the grand scheme of things, what does it really mean from an enforcement standpoint?  Does this really give Texas, or any other state who passed similar "resolutions, bills, laws," whatever, the legal standing to refuse to comply with Federal mandates, and does the Federal Gov't have any counter to this?  I sure hope these 10th Amendment sovereignty bills have real teeth!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 19:40
 Hey Ted,what's the general consensus of Gov. Perry in Texas?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 19:50
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Hey Ted,what's the general consensus of Gov. Perry in Texas?

Very mixed.  I like some things about him, but I'm very put off by his lax stance and broken campaign promises on the issue of border enforcement and his ardent cheerleading for the so-called "Trans Texas Corridor" boondoggle.  He never saw a toll road construction project he didn't like.  Basically, he's not as conservative as I would prefer.  He also seems rather arrogant at times to me.  I do appreciate his stance on 2nd Amendment issues, and very much appreciate his support on the 10th Amendment Sovereignty bill.

Unfortunately, our choices in the last gubernatorial election all sucked to my way of thinking. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 20:00
  The elections are what I was alluding to. Some Texans on other forums have suggested that Perry may be worried about Kay Baily Hutchinson trying to get his seat and hence this lastest move by him is purely political.  I HOPE not!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 20:03

The elections are what I was alluding to. Some Texans on other forums have suggested that Perry may be worried about Kay Baily Hutchinson trying to get his seat and hence this lastest move by him is purely political.  I HOPE not!

Yeah, I have concerns about his apparent political opportunism.  I'm not convinced he totally believes much of what he says.  Kay B. H. has disappointed me on several issues as well, so I'm not sure which of those two I'd prefer.
Ted

BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 20:14
Maybe Kinky Friedman will run again.  Big Grin
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 20:14
Originally posted by BillyWayne BillyWayne wrote:

Maybe Kinky Friedman will run again.  Big Grin

Laugh Above
Ted

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 20:17
 Ya got two GOOD prospects in Ted Nugent and Chuck Norris! LOL   Seriously though,I believe Gov. Perry is the first Gov. to publically speak out on this issue. I will give him kudos for that. We need more governors to do it!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 20:31

Ya got two GOOD prospects in Ted Nugent and Chuck Norris! LOL   Seriously though,I believe Gov. Perry is the first Gov. to publically speak out on this issue. I will give him kudos for that. We need more governors to do it!

I'd vote for either of those guys.  I agree that Perry has done some good things that I really appreciate.  I guess there's no such thing as the "perfect" political candidate.  All those folks are too busy hunting and shooting, I suppose.
Ted

rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 08:25
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Thunbs Up

...but in the grand scheme of things, what does it really mean from an enforcement standpoint?  Does this really give Texas, or any other state who passed similar "resolutions, bills, laws," whatever, the legal standing to refuse to comply with Federal mandates, and does the Federal Gov't have any counter to this?  I sure hope these 10th Amendment sovereignty bills have real teeth!
I can't answer about the "real teeth" but I would think that just based on local and state law enforcement not enforcing any federal BS that falls outside the constitution would be a victory in itself. Texas is a big state. The feds can't even monitor and control the border much less the entire state. I agree with your assessment of Perry. We could have done better. He gets giddy at the mention of a toll road or corridor! Just ask the people in Katy, Tx where certain lanes of our federally funded I-10 are now tolled under the premise of high occupancy lanes. Bush had the best job in the world, (gov. of Texas). Not sure why he ever wanted to be president of the US!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic